Grim Misadventure #26: An Epic Update

Hello and welcome to Grim Misadventures! We have recently concluded our updates on the alpha masteries (Soldier, Demolitionist, Occultist). If you had missed these updates, here is a convenient barrage of links!

Soldier:
Part 1
Part 2

Demolitionist:
Part 1
Part 2

Occultist:
Part 1
Part 2

With the Occultist wrapped up, you are probably wondering what we have in store for you next! Firstly, a little update on our upcoming alpha build #12. This is a big one. At least that is what the change list tells me. What is coming, you may be asking? Apart from a sizable list of bug fixes, we are also including a few “quality of life” improvements to the game.

1. Components have been adjusted to require only 3 to 4 pieces to complete. This is a net buff to incomplete components, and no change to completed ones. In addition, rare components are now distinguished from their common counterparts with a unique color, so you will know when it is time to get excited. To match the new completion requirements, the drop rate of components has been reduced.

Note: If you have any incomplete components in your inventory when B12 is released, they may turn into completed components with no completion bonus.

1. To facilitate in your questing adventures, the notes/directions provided for you in the quest log have been improved significantly, so that you do not have to remember what some dude said that one time in that one place about that thing you need to do. More focus on the monster head smashing, and less on where Kasparov lost his apprentice for what is probably the tenth time.

2. The “real” final boss of the game, Rook the Gate Keeper, has admitted defeat. The doors to the prison will now open for you automatically after you gain clearance from Captain Bourbon. Poor Rook may need to update his resume.

This just scratches the surface. For the full list of changes, you will have to wait for the release of B12. You can look forward to this update in the coming weeks.

From the art end of the spectrum, we are pleased to present the next batch of unique item art. The epics you have been eagerly collecting are slowly transforming from their common item placeholder shells and into their final states. Check them out below:

Hellmaw Shotgun

Malady

Storm’s Edge

The Huntsman

Touch of Malice (formerly Hand of the Legion)

That concludes your bi-weekly update! Check back on 08/05/13 for the next installment of Grim Misadventures!

Attachment: Hellmaw_Shotgun.jpg
Attachment: Malady.jpg
Attachment: Storms_Edge.jpg
Attachment: The_Huntsman.jpg
Attachment: Touch_of_Malice.jpg

awesome update, can’t wait to play b12, I have stopped playing GD for a bit, I didn’t want to burn myself out by playing it too much, but I can’t wait to sink my teeth into this new update, some nice changes and also some nice weapons to find too

can’t wait

Can wait to play b12!!

Whoa… Storms Edge is a mean lookin piece of gear… i like! And Hellmaw, the silver flame work on the stock is a nice touch :slight_smile:

Why will there be no completion bonus…? Has it been removed :frowning:
The completion bonus was my favor thing about the component item upgrade system. I thought it was a really good use of rng in the crafting system, it wasnt overdone like PoE RNG crafting can be, but it just gave you that little something extra. Sometimes you would get a really sweet component, like a Bristly Fur i seen with +80 health and a +30 health completion bonus. Very nice.

i think reducing the drop frequency for components is a good idea, currently you can have a completed component on all of your gear by lvl 20-22 in a standard run through the game. This makes the character very powerful at this stage. Actually by lvl 13 with 2 or 3 completed components you are well ahead of the difficulty curve in the game if you are fighting yellow grade monsters (ie equal or 1 level higher than you).

i dont want to say that this makes the game too easy because i know that normal difficultly is there to be accessible to the majority of players, but the way components drop atm makes them borderline exploitable.

i gotta say again though… i hope you do not plan on removing the completion bonus from components… that would take away a really cool element from that system .

It is a side-effect of the upcoming component changes. Any components in your inventory that have enough fragments to be completed in B12 will do so automatically, but they will not generate a completion bonus. All subsequent components you complete will still generate a completion bonus.

In fact, there are a few new bonuses in b12. :wink:

Huh? I don’t get it…

So to get completion bonuses I have to take care to never have enough fragments in my inventory to trigger auto-complete, but rather store them in my stash, so I can then complete them manually?

:eek::eek:

When I first saw the art to The Huntsman, I thought “Snipin’s a good job, mate. It’s good work, outta doors, you’ll not go 'ungry.”

In build 12, we are reducing the completion requirements for all components to 3-4 fragments (as opposed to the previous 3-8 range).

An example of how this may affect you:

You are playing in Build 11 and have a component in your inventory that is 3 of 7 fragments.

Build 12 releases and that component now only requires 3 fragments to complete.

The game checks that component…it is 3 of 3 fragments. This component is complete. However, because the action of completing the component was not performed by the player, a completion bonus is not calculated. It is a side-effect of us reducing the fragment requirements on components.

After build 12 is released and your components are converted to the new fragment requirements, everything will resume as normal.

Aaaah, so it only happens to partially combined combined components which already consist of enough fragments to be considered complete after the reduction of requirements.

I got that wrong - the way I first understood it, I thought that if I had three separate/uncombined fragments in my inventory, they’d combine and complete automatically (so that I don’t have to sort and stack them by hand).

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

Sweet looking very nice can’t wait to see them in b12.

1. The “real” final boss of the game, Rook the Gate Keeper, has admitted defeat. The doors to the prison will now open for you automatically after you gain clearance from Captain Bourbon. Poor Rook may need to update his resume.

I’m not entirely following what this means? I was under the impression their was still quite a fair amount of content remaining for progression purposes. Any clarification would help me out on this one! Thanks.

It just means when you kill whatshisnuts in burial hill, the captain will automatically open the prison doors instead of you having to go talk to that guy standing in front of them :slight_smile:

DAT AXE!

So now components will be less powerful?

No, but components that are in your inventory that are over their new completion number will be combined without a completion bonus. Say you have a component that originally required 5 to complete. You have 4 of that component stacked. When that component goes down to 4 to complete (which some will), you will not get your completion bonus because it completed itself because of the new completion number. A minor “bug” (of course there is no way to prevent it) in the update, that’s all. :wink:

I don`t mean this glitch but general decreasing of the stacks.

For example, we had some component requires 5 chunks to be completed, each of chunk has +2 to damage. Completed component had 52= +10 to damage.
Now the completion requires 4 chunks. Each chunk has +2 to damage so completed one will be 4
2=+8 to damage. So they will have less influence or require rebalancing.

I’d say rebalancing. Components are going to be harder to find, so I doubt they’ll make them weaker as well.

It’s a forum joke. A little running gag we have is that Rook, the guy who you have to speak to to open the gates of the prison, will be the final boss, because everyone will hate him more than the real final boss because of how annoying constantly talking to him was. But, since the gates open automatically with B12, this likely won’t be the case. :wink:

Edit: How could I have forgotten?! A truly epic update, Zantai, and fitting - seeing as it’s the first update on progress since the Alpha’s release. :wink: Cheers once again for amusing reading (and awe-inspiring item art)! :smiley:
Younghappy :slight_smile:

Partial components are actually getting a net buff. The complete components (apart from a select few that were buffed/nerfed) are not changing.

Cheers for the update, looking forward to running a few new chars when the build arrives. Love the new artwork as well

Hope poor Rook finds a new satisfying job, though it will be very nice not to have to deal with him everytime.