Grim Misadventure #29 - Mug Shots

Hello and welcome back! Today’s update is going to be a little bit artsy stuff and a little bit design. Let’s begin with the pretty pictures.

A common concern in alpha revolved around our NPC faces. They peered back at you with their soulless eyes, demanding your attention all while reminding you of your fleeting mortality. This torment will soon end, with Allminoxy’s NPC update.

Using the latest in facial restructuring technology 2.0 (we gave our artist the existing textures and told him to do his thing), we have given our NPCs more personality and less oh hey same mustache…and eyes…and lips…and everything else.

Check out the same old NPCs, but with a brand new look, below:

Can you put a name to a face?

On the design end, in addition to the overhaul on rare and unique items, we wanted to fill some of the gaps that existed in our components and rare affixes.

With components, there was a sorely lacking selection for accessories (rings, amulets, medals) and shields. In addition, there were no options for chaos and aether damage dealers in the weapon slot, at least of the common component variety. To alleviate these issues, we added 17 new components, 9 of which are available in the Alpha level range.

Damn’t, that’s more art!

Rare affixes also required some additions. In this case, the underrepresented options were for pierce damage, resistances on shields, and energy regeneration. We added 34 new rare affixes to the existing tally of 129, for a grand total of 163 rare affixes for you to hunt. Note that some rare affixes may not be available in the alpha level range.

This wraps up today’s post. You can check back on 09/16/13 for the next piece of development news!

Attachment: New Alpha Components.jpg
Attachment: NPCs_02.jpg

I’m still discovering new components…can’t wait to see the new ones in game.

Oh man, those faces look great, in a seen more death and destruction than any one person should ever have to endure sort of way.
:smiley:

Looks amazing!!!

Can’t wait to see these changes in game sometime in the future. Will this all be seen in the B12 patch that is soon to come out? Or will the NPC update come in a later patch?

Edit: I would say the warden (if he has a face, don’t remember) would be one of the two top right faces with the scars. Kinda leaning to the one on the top right due to the creepy scarred eye that looks milky white.

There is a good chance the NPC faces will make it into B12 as it looks like we’re going to be doing another resource build before we publish it.

Wow, those look good! I’m looking forward to seeing some player customization in the future! :smiley:

Now to try and guess who’s who…I think Kasparov is the easiest XD

OMG, more “enchants”! Cant Wait for the build 12 and the multiplayer!

Wow… those faces look amazing and so real!
Like they have been through a lot…

Those faces look great. Yet another reason to be excited for B12!

Looks like B12 is going to be a very big one (The most anticipate)! :smiley:

Man, those look fantastic!

Seriously! Those faces look purely amazing. Great work!

Just glorious! Those new faces look fantastic. The loot just keeps getting better!

The face looks great! Keep up the awesome job. Waiting patiently for the finish product!!!

GD is getting better and better!

I like the npc artwork, you did a good work

Good work and good update.

I’ll give it a go. :smiley: 2nd face, top row: Milton Hart’s sister (can’t remember name off the top of my head)
4th across, top row: Barnabas
Face after Barnabas: Harmond (the guy who’ll pay for dead zombie soldiers and mutants - this guy looks like he’s out for blood! :eek:)
Face after Harmond: Rook?!
1st face, bottom row: Kasparov
3rd across, bottom row: John Bourbon
Face after Bourbon: Ulgrim the Chef
Face after Ulgrim: Direni (I’m 100% sure that either this one or the one I put as Harmond is going to be Direni - I’m divided on whether Direni should look like a hardened criminal/face 5 or cowardly/face 11)

Well that’s it from me, I’m out of guesses! :o Great mug shots anyway Zantai! Thanks again for another awesome update!
Cheers,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

Love the new artwork, going to be spending quite some time with the view zoomed right in once these are added.

Regards the new components. Very happy to hear that there are loads of new ones for accessories, but any possibility of more stash space to store these in at some point… pretty please, with icing ? :wink:

Originally Posted by medierra
There is a good chance the NPC faces will make it into B12 as it looks like we’re going to be doing another resource build before we publish it.

Sounds like B12 is getting very, very close to release… fingers crossed, but not rushing Crate in the slightest.

Looks like a police line up of alcoholics anonymous ?