Grim Misadventure #30: Beyond Burrwitch

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! As you may have noticed recently, we released a major update to the Alpha build (B12). If you are curious about what has changed, you can check out our extensive patch notes here.

Besides new alpha builds, we have been very busy with the implementation of the rest of the game’s content. While there is much to be done, we are finally ready to begin showing you glimpses of what is to come. So let’s cross that bridge, shall we?

Disclaimer: Game content is under development and may change prior to release

Upon vanquishing the Warden, you will return to Captain Bourbon with news of your victory. As expected, everyone will be thrilled to hear that the Aetherial threat has suffered a major setback, but the captain has other concerns on his mind. Devil’s Crossing is running out of food and there is only so much that can be done with scavenging expeditions. A steady supply must be found if the survivors are to…keep on surviving!

To that end, Bourbon sends you to speak to Barnabas about repairing the bridge up to the northwest. Beyond it is the Coast Road, once a heavily traveled route between Homestead and Burrwitch. Homestead was the key provider of foodstuffs to the region and is now Devil’s Crossing’s only hope of sustainable crops.

Meet the build site

The Build Site is a new mechanic we have added to the game wherein you can repair old bridges devastated by the grim dawn as long as you have the necessary supplies (typically scrap and iron bits). This is not something we will use exclusively to unlock the next “act” of the game though. You can expect to find other bridges out in the world which will provide you with shortcuts to your destination, or even unlock access to side content. You just have to commit your resources to the task.

Crossing the bridge and apparently burning it down as I go, wheee!

However, Bourbon had his reasons when he ordered the bridge destroyed in the first place. By restoring it, you will expose Devil’s Crossing to the dangers that lie beyond, including an old threat once cut off by Bourbon’s drastic decision. Outlaws, former inmates of the prison you now call home, run rampant along the Coast Road. It quickly becomes clear that securing Homestead for the survivors will not just be a matter of getting through the wilderness alive.

Bandits! My least favorite people!

But they do know their way with words…

Just who is this Darius? And why does he want back into prison? Why are shanking-related fatalities on the rise? All of these questions and more will have to wait for the Beta.

This is only a sample of the content we are preparing for you. Deep within the bowels of QuestWorld, we are adding and testing everything that Cairn will throw at you. Everything from scripted events to dangerous criminals dwells inside.

It’s like speed dating with quests.

That concludes today’s update. Come back on 09/30/13 for our next reveal!

Attachment: Repair.jpg
Attachment: Crossing.jpg
Attachment: Bandits.jpg
Attachment: Edmund.jpg
Attachment: Quest World.jpg

Thanks for the update.

The new mechanic for repairing bridges seems interresting. Keep up the good work. :wink:

Maybe the hero should spend some time repairing that gate too. You know, to keep the outlaws out? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I do like the idea behind repairing the bridges.

sounds really good, can’t wait to play the next thrilling instalment of the game,

And now I realise that selling all the Scrap was a bad idea :undecided:

No worries. I’m sure you’ll collect plenty more before they release this feature. :slight_smile:

For sure but its still annoyong since they sell for only 14 silver I think and I had 16 saved up.

nice update and ty.i just wanna ask will be release on beta-blueprints?

Hey, those are MY boots! :smiley:

I like the repairing idea in general - I already liked to repair the water supply in the Not a Drop to Drink quest. It only caused a wind-wheel to turn, and some water to spill forth, but it still was pretty nice.

If you offered something like to improve Devils Crossing - like to repair stuff, fix things, visibly improving living conditions for the denizens - I’d surely waste as much in-game currency as needed to get everything upgraded to max - even if the changes are purely cosmetic and only change the look of the background. I’m just a sucker for stuff like that and can’t help it ^^

hahah yep, I could easily have piles of it by now but was greedy and took the $ for it instead haha

Awesome update! Can’t wait until beta! - Though I will of course :slight_smile:

Currently trying to make a soldier/demo with maxed out Heat Shield and it’s upgrade for higher physical/piercing damage and armor.

DeMasked you think the will release beta until 3 months???

I think this update was kinda hinted out with the waypoints appearing in the new regions. Though, we cannot go there atm. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the latest Kickstarter update:

Meanwhile, we’ve also been working hard on the next big content release, which should be done before the end of year. We’ve been putting in more effort to have quests that are found through exploration and quests that offer choice and consequence. The 4th class mastery, Nightblade, may be done even sooner; possibly by early October.

As I mentioned in the previous update, we’re going to open up access to “beta” before the end of the year since alpha has been running for 4 months and, aside from content delays, the game is in pretty good shape, as far as playability goes. I don’t have a firm date yet but we may do this in October along with the release of Nightblade.

This reparing thing is cool, but you could expand the possibilities?
Like cleaning thick forest, or clear the cave entrance, pump up the water to reveal hidden passage, or unshowel the burried cave pit and stuff like that :slight_smile:

For that purpose some elements as “tools”, “scrap”, “wires”, “something additional” could be inside.

:))

Wow… October would be awesome for beta, although I’ll be busy the later half of the month and the rest of the year, I’m sure I’ll find time for GD :slight_smile:

I can see it coming in the next month or a little after since the alpha seems solid enough and B12 added/fixed quite a lot. I’m not going to get my hopes high in thinking that it WILL be October, but it would a nice treat if it was. Otherwise it’s just back to waiting and trying different builds (itemization is so nice when it comes to creating new character builds).

Edit: I remember a thread that had a lot to do with repairing bridges and other possibilities that people shared for ideas. I forget which one it is but hopefully the devs will get creative. It would be neat to find some sort of mountaineer character who sells you rope/equipment to climb up steep slopes/cliffs to get to hard to find areas. Or a miner who can help unearth caves or repair support beams in run down mines.

My one char has about a hundred of them, so you don’t have to worry about running out :wink:

A cool quest or two could be to find survivors to the north who return to Devil’s Crossing as guards at the new bridge. :wink: But seriously, cool update Zantai! Not only have I been waiting to see the outlaws since medierra announced adding molotov cocktails to them, but now I see they’ve got eyepatches! :rolleyes:

I do hope that eyepatch will be a lootable item and not part of dear Edmund Shank’s face? :smiley:

I stopped picking them up so thats why only 16 :slight_smile:

Nice work guys, keep it up!

As always, thanx for the update Zantai. :slight_smile: