Grim Misadventure #33 - New Baddies

Hello, denizens of Cairn! Today we return to the latest that the dev team has to throw your way. As the title suggests, we would like to show you some of the new baddies that are going to eagerly try to turn your travels through Cairn into your very own misadventure.

Before we get to the pretty images, I’d like to also offer you a brief update on some upcoming features.

The first of these has just entered internal testing: Target Lock. Those of you who prefer more traditional ARPG controls where moving by clicking and holding on terrain will not be interrupted if you hover over a target should be very happy with this. Those of you who like things just the way are need not worry. This control scheme is entirely optional and if you prefer the current setup you can simply re-enable it under options.

We have also done some work on our loot system to help even out the loot distribution and reduce spikes:

1. The first is a change to the way rare items are generated in loot tables. We can now more carefully control how many rare items can drop from any given loot source. This allows us to raise the rare drop rates so that players can more consistently rely on seeing green from big chests rather than the current feeling of “all or nothing” that has some players feeling like drop rates are fine and others that we’re even worse than “those other ARPGs”.

2. The second change is the recent addition of the one-shot chests. The Warden chest (which will be buffed in B14 to guarantee 1 blue item) is just the first of many such chests. We have added five more one-shot chests to the world for you to find which guarantee one epic item or rare component with a high chance of rare items.

You can look forward to these improvements in Build 14, coming your way very soon. Now back to monsters!

First up, we have the mighty Troll. These vicious brutes hail from the Misty Vale, a secluded region up in the mountains where few dare tread. While they may not be the brightest, they make up for it with their ability to pound you into the ground with a mighty swing of a club roughly the size of you. If you would like to arrange a meeting with said club, the trolls will be happy to oblige.

Following the trolls, we have a twisted breed of Half-Trolls. This tribal group has originated from the disturbing mingling of troll and human, the details of which are best left unmentioned here. They are a primitive bunch, but their bond with nature is strong. Their shamans are capable of unleashing powerful spells both intended to harm you and to prevent harm to their brethren. Only a fool would underestimate these simpleminded tribals.

That’s it for today. Curious readers should return on 11/11/13 for the next update!

Attachment: troll_comp01.jpg
Attachment: trollHalf_comp01.jpg
Attachment: trolls01.jpg

Awesome update.Keep on that way.)))))

Very awesome to hear about upcoming updates and can’t wait to face these new baddies. Nice work!

I absolutely cant wait for B14.

Im glad you are making the control change an option as I prefer the current set up.

From the sound of it farming will be more stabilized and should make loot runs more reliable when ornate and stone chests spawn.

I love the one shot chests because I do love to play self found and hardcore characters and this will certainly bring a more reliable way to do so. I do have a question about the one shot chests though. Are the loot drops from them based on your character level or are they based on the min/max level of the area they spawn in?

Also that Troll is the most grotesque creature Ive seen yet and I love it. Just look at that massive titty ring! Cant wait to fight them.

The One-Shot chests are a combination of the two, so don’t worry about saving them all for level 25.

Read my mind perfectly. Thanks! :smiley:

Thank you for the update.

Love the news on the target lock especially, the loot changes sound very interesting.

As for the new mobs, they look just wonderfully hideous and mean :D. Excellent work and look forward to seeing them ingame, though I do suspect I’ll end up as a bloody smear on a Trolls club a few times, until I get the hang of them.

another very interesting update, don’t have many time to play nowadays but all i see here seems very promising.

and the trolls art is amazing !

thank you very much !

Targeting option is a great idea! Thank you very much! By the way, Trolls looking awesome!

can’t wait to arrange a meeting with both said monsters, very nice, the troll sounds its going to be a tough cookie to take down, (I dread to think what the hero version will be like? gulp )

but yes love the update, I wonder how many monsters this game has now? got to be a lot now surely? and even more coming to join the party.

I congratulate the artist / s one a good well done!

Wow, an update so soon! Keep up the good work! :smiley: I simply cannot wait for my character’s brains to be dislodged from his skull by one of those trolls.

any chance of seeing a character beside a troll to see the scale of the thing? as sometimes the images don’t give you a good sense of scale otherwise, just wondering how big the trolls will be? thanks in advance

and will there is a hero version of the troll and how big?

Says in the post :

First up, we have the mighty Troll. These vicious brutes hail from the Misty Vale, a secluded region up in the mountains where few dare tread. While they may not be the brightest, they make up for it with their ability to pound you into the ground with a mighty swing of a club roughly the size of you. If you would like to arrange a meeting with said club, the trolls will be happy to oblige.

Judging by that, I’d assume they are as big as the cyclops from TQIT.

still would like to see a char and one so we can at least see a scale, been a while since I played TQ, so I can’t remember that monster too well. so an image would be cool

Hey all, thanks for the kind words! Zantai has let me out of my artist cage just long enough to post a little scale ref for your convenience. Here is an image just seconds before my character somehow had all the bones in his body turned to paste:

Those trolls look awesome! If they don’t cause a little screen shake when their clubs smash into the ground, I’ll be a little disappointed. lol

Sweet !!! love the trolls (nonsexual ofcourse), can’t wait to bash some new enemy’s.

So, basically, we’re face high to their troll junk. lol

I do hope you like your troll junk, you’ll be tasting lots of it from what I can see.

Nasty trollsies…

By the looks of it they dont bath much either youll have to breath in that ball soup the entire fight.