Grim Misadventure #35: Epic Power

Hello, misadventure enthusiasts! Last time we crossed the bridge and explored the lands beyond. Today, we would like to cover some of the powerful items you can look forward to in the future. All of the items shown today are level 35+, so we are really starting to get into the mid to late-game uniques here.

Besides, we figured you would not be too interested in the 25-30 epics when you will soon be able to find and equip them yourselves. :wink:

These items (with the exception of the last one) were selected to show you some of the granted skills you can gain access to with the right equipment. The goal with granted item skills is to provide you with options that will alter your playstyle and encourage you to create non-standard builds. The examples below are just a small sample of the 30+ granted skills you can acquire in the 25-50 range (and that number does not include Legendary items yet).

Standard protocol: Everything you see below can change before public release. The art for these items is still placeholder.

First up, we have the Frigid Quillbreath. This crossbow grants you the power of a bone-chilling mountain wind. The skill itself has a short cooldown, allowing it to easily fit into your rotation or as a primary attack skill.

Frigid Quillbreath - Chillwind

Next up is the Soulthief. This is a foul blade forged with forbidden magic. Its very touch corrupts with unearthly energy, but what truly makes it a foul weapon is its ability to devour souls and drain its victim’s vitality in one devastating blow.

Soulthief - Steal Soul

Third, we have the Black Grimoire of Og’Napesh. This vile tome was believed destroyed with the death of its author and wielder. However, it appears that evil has survived. This dark tome allows you to summon a fiery revenant, a permanent pet you can control just like the Occultist’s rifthound and familiar. The revenant is a fierce melee combatant who burns nearby foes with his very presence.

Black Grimoire of Og’Napesh - Summon Revenant

The last item we would like to show you is for the risk-takers. The Chains of Torment (belt) do not grant a skill. Instead, they give you a proc with dangerous effects. To compensate for this risk, the item has above-average stats; but the price for such power must be paid in blood.

Chains of Torment - Torment

That’s it for today! Check back on 12/09/2013 for the next update!

Awesome, the more items the better!

EDIT: that belt is amazing! I really like the idea of risk reward, it allows you to diversify your build.

This is by far the coolest pet in GD so far, Zantai! I can see many a player (myself included ;)) designing an entire build around combining this bad boy with the hellhound and familiar. :smiley: Late game epics for the win!
Cheers for another awesome update,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

The items in this game are really exciting :slight_smile: I’m really happy that they don’t just follow the Diablo 3 formula: higher stats = better item.

The skills look like something that might really provide alternative playstyles, which is an essential part in arpgs for me. Great job, can’t wait for Act 2 (and more) :slight_smile:

I just wish the summon would carry a flaming axe instead of some simple woodsman axe :frowning:

That’s actually an epic axe I believe (Cruel Edge iirc), though a flaming axe (if one exists) would probably be more fitting. :wink:

Epic or not, its not you using it so it could at least look cool!

This items are really epic, great work!

Wow nice effects can’t wait to wield one of those weapons.

Okay, Chains of Torment is just flat out awesome. I love these kind of uber-powerful, but cursed items with high reward/high-risk. It will create some great crisis situations where you’re scrambling like a madman just to survive if it procs at the wrong time. Good times!
:smiley:

Wow, level 120?
(I can see it through the transparent tooltip :P)
Will that be the maximum level? ;D

will Summons be considered as pets also? It would be nice if they can be affected by pet items.

and Why only 1 fiery revenant whereas you can give multiple ones that satisfies the summoner addicts while they wait for the expansion pack to get the real summoner character that Medierra promised to give :smiley: It doesn’t have to be in the same strength just divide its power and let us summon the Horde!!! :smiley:

Also seeing LVL 100 is fantastic,i really can’t think the end game.

That’s my personal cheater dev char. He is well above the max level.

Unless something dramatically needs to change, the max level at release will be 50.

Omg, AMAZING ! -

Whoooa, interesting items. Loreworthy and epic indeed. Giving unique skills/pets/summons? How cool is that? The cookie cutter enthusiast in me moans and grumps while the playful gamer giggles and stomps him in a polite and caring way. :smiley:

Soulthief seems like my kind of thing. And wielded with a book, pure finesse. Hope it will drop for me sometime.

Can’t wait for the next update!

P.s. 50 on release? As in Normal 25 Veteran 40 Elite 50?

damn, those items rock, I can’t wait to find them, or grind enough, I love the new pet, and the bet, I want, I want I want!!!

nice work as usual:cool:

Zantai, what about the helmet that the revenent is wearing, I want it, how can I get it?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awesome items, I really like the idea of oskills.

What about the helmet that the GENTLEMAN is wearing, good man…

I suspect you wouldn’t want to get off the wrong foot with Og’Napesh’s trusted friend. He looks… professional.
:eek:

Soul Steal

• Hits 5 targets
  • 200% weapon damage
  • 40% chance of 90% reduction of enemy’s health
  • 100% of attack damage converted to health

So, if an enemy has 15k life and Soul Steal procs, then they drop to 1.5k life? Is this considered when the 100% of attack damage is converted to health?

I’m not a mechanics number cruncher, so I must be missing something important because 90% seems kinda OP.