Grim Misadventure #44: Two-Handed Combat in Style

“+2 to The Big One”

Am I being oblivious or is it a brand new skill? If so sounds so very bad ass :cool:

EDIT: just checked the GD calc, it is actually a skill that already exist :smiley:

Bring it on baby!

Btw. since you are adding two handed weapons, when can we expect 2h cannons to be added?!:slight_smile:

Awesome, can’t wait. And The Big One does sound like a new skill… man… gotta roll yet another new char :smiley:

The Big One isn’t as badass as it’s name. It often only fires when most enemies are already taken care of. Put your points in any other damage skill and you’ll kill faster. I think mortar will be better once we’re at a higher level and have more spare skill points, but it doesn’t work as a main skill.

My my, those look nice! :smiley: I wonder if there will be changes for the soldier mastery in a future build to have two-handed weapon skills.
I know B18 has just come out, so when can we expect B19? Sometime around end of May/beginning of June? :slight_smile:

I like the letter color changes! Amazing as always!

Awesome work. I’ll probably try a Cadence build when they come out.

Very impressive!

Nice addition as always.

Very nice, guys! 198 top - end damage on the Warhammer is sure to provide some incredibly large numbers with certain builds. Very much looking forward to trying builds that I would have otherwise put on the back burner.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Syn

Nice Really look forward tho getting my hands on these.

:DNice update,thank u all~

The warhammer looks omg sick.

I haven’t had the chance to play much of B18 (Was in Vegas, now in San Francisco for work) but I’m eager to get back to slashing it up… cant wait to start a two hander build!

question: are all twohanders requirements gonna to be physique based? since even the slithbane, which i assume is a sword, still only requires physique, whereas one-hander swords require cunning as well.

That only makes sense in vocabulary.

Physique in GD isn’t Strength. It adds no damage. That’s all Cunning’s job.

If two-handed weapons are going to be DPS weapons, they’re going to have to change the Physique requirements either now or later. DW will be far and away the better choice since you’re going to end up with much more hit/crit chance, more piercing damage, more bleeding damage, etc.

Oh, and the higher base damage makes up for not having two weapons. Why is that always so hard for people to understand? Two-handed weapons take away a gear slot so they have to be just as powerful as two pieces of gear.

It’s like Guild Wars 2…that game has been out for almost 2 years and they JUST balanced two-handed weapon’s Sigil slot.

With that logic, the current one handed axes, maces and shields should also require cunning instead of physique. Then physique becomes even more pointless.

Physique requirements create an interesting dilemma with your attribute points while leveling: do you go heavy on cunning for a general damage boost or do you get more physique so you can equip higher level items sooner?

And keep hybrid characters in mind, builds that use melee weapons but deal magical damage. The Nightblade mastery has some nice cold damage skills, then you want Spirit + Physique. More weapons based on cunning does not support a variety of builds, only physical and pierce damage builds.

I also play Guild Wars 2 and their balancing team is terrible, not really an appropriate comparison to Crate. A good example of what not to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Using a 2h you get a higher base damage but lose out on that second item PLUS the extra stats.

So it has it’s own pros and cons.

Cunning is for damage, Physique is for defense. Should shields require Cunning? No. You’re not going to build for DPS with a shield.

Maybe axes and maces, but that would depend on what build you’re going to use. 1h+shield would definitely benefit more from not using a sword in this game since they require Cunning. Which is something I also disagree with because sword’n’board is a classic build.

What would be most logical is if all weapons required Cunning and all armor, including shields, required Physique.

If this were the case, you’d have no item level and simply a stat requirement. Since there’s a level cap on gear, it doesn’t matter how much you have put in one stat. They’re not building the game that way, though it would be interesting.

You’d never want Physique for any damage build outside of the requirements of whatever weapons you’re using. That’s the whole point. Cunning is a powerful stat for any and all damage builds. Even as a magic build, you’re still going to benefit from the hit and crit chance of Cunning. Physique does nothing for damage.

Even moreso now that spells can crit.

I guess I didn’t quite say it clearly, but that was what I meant. It took them two whole years to add 1 + 1 and get 2 instead of 1. Most dev teams don’t take that long.

For some reason its extremely hard for people to balance two-handed weaponry. Most game companies are terrible at it. Its simply a combination of two weapon slots into one, yet they always manage to back-azwards it.

You should never lose out on the extra stats. The increase in damage makes up for the loss of a second weapon’s damage.

Just make all 2hs have the same stat bonus x2. It’s that simple.

Having some weapons based on Cunning and others on Physique allows for a bigger build variety as you do not need to invest a certain amount in Cunning just to keep up with the weapon progression.

If this were the case, you’d have no item level and simply a stat requirement.

Which actually is exactly how it is. Level requirements are from the affixes, not the gear.

You’d never want Physique for any damage build outside of the requirements of whatever weapons you’re using. That’s the whole point.

True

Cunning is a powerful stat for any and all damage builds.

Mostly Physical and Pierce (and their DoTs)

Even as a magic build, you’re still going to benefit from the hit and crit chance of Cunning.

I much rather invest in Spirit and get OA from affixes in this case