Grim Misadventure #45: Descend the Steps

Welcome to Grim Misadventures! We are back with another dev update, letting you take a peek into the latest from the Grim Dawn team.

In this update, we will be talking about our new rogue-like dungeons. For those not familiar, “rogue-like” games were early predecessors to the modern action-RPG and the name is derived from the 1980’s game Rogue. Rogue-likes are characterized by random layouts and permanent death that made the experience intense and final victory all the more satisfying. Unless you have started a hardcore character, you won’t die permanently in Grim Dawn but we have tried to capture the thrill of rogue-likes in these special challenge dungeons by sealing the door upon entering and disabling riftgates so that there is no escape except by gruesome death or fighting your way triumphantly to the end.

If you have not played Grim Dawn Early Access yet, the Steps of Torment is one of the most challenging dungeons currently available in Grim Dawn, featuring some of the strongest enemies and biggest rewards. However, only the first three floors of this dangerous location are currently available. Those enjoying Early Access will soon discover that there are two more floors that descend even deeper into Arkovia’s dark past.

With the addition of Steps of Torment (4-5), this dungeon will test your skills like nothing in Cairn has yet. Death will come swiftly to the unwary traveler. Devious new traps and powerful enemies line the halls. In fact, you may not even be able to take the same way through as the last time you entered and the treasures you seek may not appear in the same locations.

Even the entry is barred by a set of ancient doors which cannot be opened by any traditional means. Thankfully, there are those who know the secrets of the Gates of Anguish, and perhaps they will divulge this ancient knowledge with the right motivation.

A New Challenge

You will find Balvoruuk and his ghostly companion outside the ruins in Old Arkovia. This will mark the beginning of your journey into the Steps of Torment. Upon completing the quest line, you will earn your first Skeleton Key, as well as a blueprint to create additional ones.

The Master Key

This key is the only means by which the Gates of Anguish will re-open. But beware: the key is destroyed upon use and the doors will seal promptly behind you. The Steps of Torment will gladly devour the lives of the ill-prepared.

The Gates of Anguish Await

Will you brave the treacherous halls of Anguish and its devious traps? Perhaps the ancients were right in sealing this place away? Find out for yourself when Build 19 is released in the coming weeks.

Can’t get enough of what’s in store? Come back for our next dev update on 05/26/2014!

Attachment: Gates of Anguish.jpg
Attachment: Necromancer.jpg
Attachment: Skeleton Key.jpg

Looking forward to B19 and the full Steps of Torment!

This sounds so great! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Keep on that kind of work, I just love the evolution of this Game!

I doubt you’ll get too far using a shiv, as you are in that third image. :wink: In all seriousness, this looks wicked, guys! :smiley: Loving the look of Balvoruuk too (looks like the Nightblade art, always a plus in my book!) and I can’t wait to see what OTHER ancient doors that skeleton key will open!
Cheers for another fantastic update Zantai,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

This if freaking sweet!! can’t wait to let my commander rain fire on all those little skeletons and other enemies… puny little enemies

Also cool that you can’t go back gives it a more of a task to level up/gear up and get ready to getting beat up to hell, literally :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your hard work devs.

Hell yeah, can’t wait to advance deeper into the SoT! I hope we’ll find a lot of nice loot inside level 4 and 5 :slight_smile:

Thats awezome Man :smiley:

Nice nice! Thanx 4 the update Z!

Really nice! Does it mean we will have to craft a key each time we want to farm the dungeon? If so I love the idea!

Considering this quote:

Yes, yes you will have to create a new key each time you want to access what’s behind Gates of Anguish! :wink:

this sounds soo freeking good :smiley:

does this mean we can stack components now too?!?

More dungeons, more goodies! Thanks~

Looks cool!

A time frame of only weeks, great :smiley:

I hope there is a good/special reward at the end of the dungeon, also make it harder than usual cause right now, there isnt really a tough challenge ingame

When you say its a roguelike dungeon, is that referring only to the fact that you are required to complete it without returning to town or will the level layout/enemy spawns be randomized as well?

I really like the hand crafted areas of the game but at least with optional dungeons I would like to see some more randomly designed areas.

Also will this build increase the level cap?

Updated the text a little bit.

To answer the above questions:

“I hope there is a good/special reward at the end of the dungeon, also make it harder than usual cause right now, there isnt really a tough challenge ingame”
The final boss has some unique items to hunt for that will not drop anywhere else.

“When you say its a roguelike dungeon, is that referring only to the fact that you are required to complete it without returning to town or will the level layout/enemy spawns be randomized as well?”
The dungeon is not completely random, just as with all of our dungeons, but there are many randomized barriers that will alter the way you play through it and certain events will vary in their spawn locations (or whether they spawn at all). This is on top of the usual randomized distribution of monsters and treasure.

“Also will this build increase the level cap?”
We will not be increasing the level cap with this build.

aww no Levelcap increase to 40 :c

anyway cant wait! My Commando is Ready to blast everything away!

3 Questions: Will the first floors change too?

Will every Floor have its own Boss Encounter (could be just a group of Veterans and Heros :P)?

and finally: Does the Key require extremly rare Craft components (Tainted Brain Matter for example)?

The goods in the store is so so so expensive…:cry:

Thanks for the update can’t wait for B19.