Grim Misadventure #54: Did You Know...

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! Did you know that Grim Dawn is packed with deep gameplay mechanics that may not become obvious when you first start playing? Today we would like to shed some light on these features.

Work on the Arcanist mastery is progressing smoothly and we are preparing the final touches before it goes into closed testing. This is when we lock in the skill set and have the final icon art, spell effects and sound effects prepared. We expect the Arcanist, and Build 21 with it, to be available to the public by early October.

WYSIWYG
Now back to our lesser known features. Chief among them is the What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) loot system. The veterans of the game will tell you that when you see an enemy wearing armor or weapons, they will drop that equipment. Many times, that equipment will drop as “poor” quality and dissolve, but when you see an outlaw hero approaching you with a sword that sparks lightning, you know you are in for a serious fight.

While the challenge may be greater, so is the reward. When you defeat this insidious lowlife, he will also drop his ill-gained Unique item. What this boils down to is that enemies can carry powerful equipment that can seriously boost their potential while also previewing to you the deadly arsenal soon to be at your disposal. This can also really change up how you approach a fight. If a boss spawns with a weapon that burns mana, you might suddenly find yourself low on precious energy. Likewise, an enemy wearing a ring that provides high resistances might boost their survivability. The possibilities are as limitless as the combinations of loot in Grim Dawn.

Ultimate Skill Levels
As you explore Grim Dawn’s loot-filled dungeons, you will eventually come upon items that grant bonuses to specific mastery skills or even a bonus to all skills in a mastery. As long as you have at least one point in a skill, it will benefit from these stats and the level of the skill will turn blue in the skill tree.

This serves as a great way to free up your skill points so you can spend them elsewhere, but you may notice that if your skill was already maxed out, its level will actually go beyond what you can normally invest in it. These are ultimate skill levels and the only way to gain them is through items with skill bonuses.

For the first few ultimate levels, skills will generally scale as they did up to the max rank, but as you reach the highest ultimate levels (all skills can go up to 10 levels above the maximum in the skill tree) you will gain higher and higher bonuses. Note that percent-based bonuses on skills will generally not scale this way and may suffer from diminishing returns as you continue to invest in them.

Reaching the ultimate levels of skills is a powerful way to optimize your character.

Crafting Enchanted and Rare Blueprints
With Build 18, we introduced a major new feature to Grim Dawn with the addition of Crafting. By visiting the Burrwitch Outskirts, you can recruit either Angrim, the master of martial weapons and armor, or his apprentice Duncan, the master of arcane crafting, to join you in Devil’s Crossing. Each of them comes with their own unique selection of blueprints as well as crafting bonuses which they apply to all weapons, armor and accessories they create.

What you may not have known is that there are some rules to how their blueprints work. Enchanted items are the equivalent of Grim Dawn’s gambling system. They are easy to craft and cheaper than buying items from the vendors, but you never know what you will get. However, what you can count on is a high chance of generating Rare items.

Though the color of the blueprint might imply that only Magical quality items come out of these blueprints, that is not the case. Enchanted recipes can create anything from a single affix Magical item to a double Rare affix item of incredible power. The odds of striking such a jackpot are significantly higher than when hunting the vendor’s wares, but how many iron bits and scrap you spend to acquire one will depend entirely on how fortunate you are! So good luck out there!

Rare-quality blueprints take some of the chance out of the equation by coming with some appealing base attributes. For this, they are more expensive to craft than their Enchanted counterparts, but you can always count on them having a few useful stats regardless of what affix they roll. However, to compensate for their base stats, a Rare-quality blueprint will never generate two affixes. This means that rolling a single Rare affix on one of these blueprints is the highest quality item they will generate.

Now go out there and craft some items!

Would you like to know more?
Is there a game mechanic you would like to know more about? Ask us in the comments below! We are actively working on a game guide which should answer many questions about the inner workings of Grim Dawn (it will be posted right here on our website). Your questions will help us figure out what it needs!

For our next development update, check back on 09/29/14!

I wanna know more about devotion! :smiley:

What’s Devotion?

very helpfull information about the current content and what we can expect!

also… Devotion you make me curious :rolleyes:

you’re having waaaaay too much fun with this :stuck_out_tongue:

does Zolhan’s Technique work with dual wield?

An in-depth guide of how attributes works would be very useful.

See here the answer from Rhis of my question … :wink:

@Topic
Very interesting!

Rhis doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Devotion is just a wild rumor. A tale used to frighten children.

something like this:

Zantai, maybe you could mentioning the colour of the item tiers in brackets after the item tier, might help out new people to the game. :slight_smile:

It gets quite frustrating watching streamers give out misinformation such as saying there’s not much depth to the game.:mad:

edit: No pictures this week?:cry:

I would like to know by what priority weapon procs are rolled, for example:

I have all 4 procs of the NB maxed, does it roll them: 20% Shears - No - 20% AQC - No - 20% WD - Bing proc - 20% Execution not rolled?

Also, can OA and DA reducing skills like ZA stack if I hit multiple times before the effect of the first proc is over?

you mean this?:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15748

Yes. Zolhan’s Technique just requires a melee weapon, does not restrict it to only using one.

If the total % chance values of your weapon procs add up to more than 100%, they will become weighed. If you have the four Nightblade dual wield techniques maxed, then you will have an 80% chance on every attack to trigger one of them. In this case the chance of each would be equal, so whenever a proc occurs, each has a 1 in 4 chance of being selected.

OA and DA reduction effects, such as Markovian’s Advantage, will refresh if the proc occurs before the debuff expires.

Yeah, when Zantai mentions Magical, have in brackets (yellow) after and Green after Rare. Saves people having to look up another post in another thread if they are unaware. :wink:

Zantai when they are in the game can you get a Legendary item as a rare upgrade from crafting/gambling?

Also, has Armour and the unique way it works in grim Dawn been explained in depth? I lose track of what has and hasn’t been posted.:undecided:

Thank you for clarifying, i wondered about this for so long now :smiley:

Yeah, what is devotion ?

Otherwise, what would be interesting is to write the FULL damage formula taking into account :
OA, DA, enemy resistances, critical damage, absolute and percentage damage bonuses, buffs and debuffs, armor values just to know the order.

For example when you block damage whith a shield that have 100 armor and have 50% resistance to that kind of damage and 100 absolute damage reduction from a spell effect how is damage calculated ?
What if the enemy also proc 50% reduced resistance and 100 absolute reduced resistance and does pierce damage?

How is calculated the chance to hit, chance to block (does it uses only block chance or also Defensive ability, physique points…) ?

1. Few months ago, mr. Zantai said there are 100+ Legendary items in the works. I am curios, what is the number of legendary items now, and what is the estimated number on release.

2. I know you want tell us what does Devotion tab do, but can you just tell us, is devotion tab available only to those who choose single mastery path, or not.

3. I am not sure, but by the looks of it, currently, only Albert’s Ray is a channeled spell. Why there are no more of these types of spells?

4. Will it possible for you to implement a multicolor item system. For example: If we roll a green item with one rare and one magic affix, let the rare affix be in green while magic in yellow, like this: Zantai’s Non-telling Tongue of Unknown Devtion tab. This way, we will know if we got an rare item with one rare affix or double rare affix.

EDIT: More questions

1. In TQIT, if you had enough (for example Intelligence 2000+), you could freeze a boss with a skill in Storm mastery (don’t remember the name). Is it possible to debuff or overpower the boss just enough to stun them, freeze them, bleed them etc? I always thought TQ lacked in that aspect. It was fun in D3 when you freeze or stun a boss just for a second.

Crafting in this game has giving me so much joy and great items too ,i have to keep hunting for that Scrap.
In addition ,the option to break gear with dynamite just makes it much faster to acquire that precious Scrap ,great job guys keep up the good work :wink:

I seem to be having some RNG problems with the Blacksmith. I’m level 35 and he’s crafted me two-handed weapons in level ranges all over the board, like level 10. :frowning: And he also crafted me an amazing two-hander I can use at level 36 so I think you should boost the max level now.

That said, he’s supposed to craft items “appropriate to your level” and the vast majority really are, but it’s pretty sad when a level requirement is far below my level range or, like the level 36’er above. Is this supposed to happen? A glitch? An oversight? Unfortunate RNG at the blacksmith all the same?

And what the hell does it make in the text-files?! :smiley: :wink: