Grim Misadventure #56: What's New in B22

How can I do that when I don’t have all the recipes and have no idea which ones are needed or not? Or why would I craft them into something else which is just going to sit and take up space as well?

No they aren’t. You act like any of those stats you just mentioned matter. They don’t, it’s a trivial bonus that doesn’t really help at all. I’d be just as happy if they completely removed completion bonuses rather than making them non-random, because that really wouldn’t reduce a character’s effectiveness. Most of the time most of my characters don’t even use any components because they go through gear too quickly.

Actually… it is first time I see that someone doesn’t like randomized component completion bonuses…
How long do you play this game?
Why is it problem to sell completed components?
Why not forge them into better and more rare components (that saves space)?
Completion bonuses are trivial? +6% to attack speed for 2handed weapons is trivial? + 6% total damage for hybrid builds is trivial?

…maybe I play different game

because if you have 6 or so completed components of the same type taking up space, you know they drop frequently enough :wink:

You are not supposed to craft something else you do not want, but something you want, otherwise sell them… at the very least it takes up less space because you need multiple components to craft it…

No they aren’t. You act like any of those stats you just mentioned matter. They don’t, it’s a trivial bonus that doesn’t really help at all. I’d be just as happy if they completely removed completion bonuses rather than making them non-random

yes they are and yes they do.

If you consider them all useless, then you have more to sell off, so no harm done :wink:

Other than that you are obviously very wrong about that… some bonuses are not that great for a given component, but others can be very useful (and which ones those are does depend on your build too to a degree…)

There is a website that includes all recipes and components needed to craft them. Crafting is just an option that I gave - you could craft something and perhaps use it for a different character. Selling complete components actually gives you quite a bit of iron if I remember correctly.

The stats I mentioned do matter. % total damage is amazing, % attack speed is amazing, over 100 health from a component random stat bonus is amazing especially if you have % health from skills or gear.

Usually I don’t use components until I find items that I know I’ll be using for awhile - or if I save the apprentice I would then take components out of items that I no longer use.

>Implying +9% Total Damage is trivial.

Other than that you are obviously very wrong about that… some bonuses are not that great for a given component, but others can be very useful (and which ones those are does depend on your build too to a degree…)

That’s funny, because I’ve never seen anyone say they enjoy the random bonuses in all the time I’ve played this and TQ.

No it just means I am spending a lot of time in a given level range at the moment. Once I out level that content on all the characters I am playing at a given time I will stop getting any of them, and if I suddenly need a handful of them for a new recipe I found I would be SOL if I had sold most of them.

I shouldn’t have to check an external website every time I want to manage my inventory.

If they matter so much, then what happens if you never get any of the “good” bonuses? How will I live with myself if my character with 5000 health can’t roll the +100 health bonus on a component? I should just /delete if my character with several hundred % bonus damage can’t roll +9% too? Imagine the frustration of a perfectionist trying to get the best roll on a rare component to slot onto their uber epic gear.

Case in point, I’ve never seen a component roll +9% total damage, and I have a ton of them.

So you want everything handed to you on a silver dish because clearly the point of an arpg isn’t about grinding yes…?

I suppose knowing that double rare monster infrequent items being the possible best item would boggle your mind since:
1: You have to get the monster infrequent item in the first place
2: You have to get the 2 rare affixes that you want with that item in order for it to be amazing for your build/character.

Arpgs are all about the grind and in finding X in order to improve Y even though with Z you already can clear the content though perhaps not as easily or on the hardest difficulty.

And you don’t have to check an external website every time you want to manage your inventory. You stated that you weren’t sure if you needed a component due to relics that you didn’t find - look at the relics and see the components - done. Once you find the recipe drops for that relic you can then just check with the blacksmith for a reminder should you need one - I suppose that too is a bad thing…?

Every ARPG I’ve played I looked at the forums or other websites in order to plan out my character - if you don’t want to use that resource fine that is completely up to you. GD is an ARPG where planning out your character can definitely be a thing - if you want something more simplistic or forgiving I would suggest Diablo 3 or something where you can switch skills whenever, get enormous amounts of gold easily, switch paragon stat points whenever and so on. Though good luck in getting that one legendary and if you do get it good luck with the RNG rolls on it…

edit: And the 9% total damage searing ember. First you need a component to roll total damage and then it will roll the value of total damage which I believe for searing ember would be 3-9% since 6% is the median. So yea I got relatively lucky which is another thing about ARPGs in that you can feel rewarded with something rare and show it off to other people. There is an entire thread where people post pictures of the items they’ve found.

Have you seen anyone complain ?

No it just means I am spending a lot of time in a given level range at the moment. Once I out level that content on all the characters I am playing at a given time I will stop getting any of them, and if I suddenly need a handful of them for a new recipe I found I would be SOL if I had sold most of them.

then you go back to that area and farm some more. Up to level 35 none stopped dropping for me, don’t know about you :wink:

If they matter so much, then what happens if you never get any of the “good” bonuses?

They are not essential, no one said that. You said they are useless, which is clearly wrong

Yea initially components are just useful in general. The extra stat is for versatility and the min maxers who want to go the extra mile in perfecting their build/gear - Arpgs do this in general.

Itemization in general has a lot of randomized elements. Epic items have set affixes but the rolls on the stats are still varied.

If you have issues with the randomness of component bonus stats then clearly you have issues with arpgs in general. If you disagree with that then you are essentially disagreeing with yourself when it comes to the bonus stat because randomness and min maxing = arpgs.

I still remember in D3 some echoing fury was sold for $8,000+ back in vanilla due to the amazing stats.

This is probably going to blow your mind then, but… I enjoy random bonuses. Crazy, I know, randomization… arpg’s… randomization… arpg’s… randomization… It’s not like they go hand in hand like, say, PB&J. The concept is just out of the ballpark here.

=/ <-- Note the impressed expression I have leveled in your direction. Now imagine my left eyebrow is very slowly raising, to stratospheric heights, showing that I am seriously impressed.

What about 6 player multiplayer whens that getting implemented i got more than 4 people i wana play with. 8 player would take the cake and we can call this D2!!!

#waiting

Very often.

Because that’s fun, mindlessly killing stuff many levels lower than you for a low level crafting resource required to craft a t1 relic, required to craft a t2 relic, required to craft a etc. All because you sold 1 too many of the two dozen of said resource that dropped for you that you had no storage space for at the time.

I never said “useless” I said trivial. Something that helps you kill things 1-5% faster when they already die in 2-3 hits doesn’t do much good. Compare the rarity of a rare component roll to that of getting an epic item, now compare the power difference of those two things. Ya.

Well, yours is the first I’ve seen and I’ve been on the TQ and GD forums. Not saying I couldn’t have missed it, but ‘very often’ sounds like an exaggeration.

Because that’s fun, mindlessly killing stuff many levels lower than you for a low level crafting resource

Then do it with a different char, trade, buy it at the merchants. The premise was you run out of inventory space, so I’d rather get rid of my 6th duplicate component than something more important…

I never said “useless” I said trivial.

Fair enough, there still are bonuses that are preferable over others, having different bonuses is not a bad thing. If you don’t care for them that makes getting rid of duplicates (with different completion bonuses) easier, clearing up space for you :wink:

Should not be an issue in GD.

No thank you. Not to the 8 player, but to calling this D2. GD is WAY better than that. Call it what it is - Grim Dawn.

I was wondering whether there will be higher variant components based on a increased difficulty setting (just like it was in TQ). So the answer is no. I hope those rare component crafting blueprints will be an adequate replacement, because I can’t picture myself using a Polished Emerald on my level 70+ toon on Legendary difficulty

See the overview of component blueprints. Four of them require a Polished Emerald for crafting. Three of these can be used for higher tiered components. Polished Emeralds retain useful their usefulness this way.

No issue with the potential usefulness of materia for higher socket items and craftables, but until you get the recipe they are kinda useless and still take up valuable storage space.

It would be really nice if we could buy low level recipes at some time in the game for those unlucky enough to not find the upgrade recipes for certain materia. (For me: Polished Emeralds, Scavenged Plating, and Resilient Plating are the recipes I’m missing).

Dejnov

Not all components have recipes and therefore have a higher chance in dropping.

Polished Emeralds, Scavenged Plating, and Resilient Plating do not have recipes. Plus you can easily buy them from the 4 vendors we have in the game.

I think Dejnov meant the recipes, which require these components, so that he can upgrade the base components into something more useful / special.

I at least still require quite a few of the non-default blueprints.