Grim Misadventure #61: Beyond Homestead

We take a brief reprieve from the challenges of Act 3: Chapter 1 (which you all should totally be playing right now because it’s out) to bring you another Grim Misadventure. With Chapter 2 and 3 already in the works, you may find yourself eager to see what’s next. And we’re not going to disappoint.

Act 3 Chapter 1 introduced several new environments (the pine forests, mountain deeps, farmlands and the fortress ruins), but that is just the tip of the iceberg in Act 3. As you continue your battle against the invading Aetherial and Chthonian forces, your adventures will take you beyond the gates of Homestead and out into the northlands. There, you will face off against vicious new enemies, including the dermapteran swarm and the full might of the Cult of Ch’thon.

Today, we would like to show you three prominent areas: the Dermapteran Hive, the Chthonic Void and the Blood Grove.

Don’t Stir the Hive

Every seven years, the Dermapteran hive births a new queen, which promptly proliferates their numbers. In the past, the farmers would rally and exterminate the queen while she was still young. But after the Grim Dawn, the Dermapterans were allowed to thrive, and now their queen is a massive creature that spawns new Dermapterans by the dozen every day.

The swarm has become a threat the farmers cannot handle without assistance. Will you be their savior?

The Cult is out for Blood. Yours Will Do.

The Cult of Ch’thon has arrived in the lands north of Homestead in force, and with them countless Chthonic monstrosities from the void. No-one knows what drew them to this place, but their presence has made the lives of Homestead’s survivors all the more dangerous, as helpless innocents are abducted for depraved blood rituals. Every man lost to the cult means another Chthonian servant to wreak havoc on Cairn. The sacrifices have to stop, or Homestead will soon be overrun.

The Void Beckons

The Void is the birthplace of terror. It is a place of darkness and blood, of toxic mists and obsidian spires. No mortal willingly enters it without a death-wish. Most unfortunate souls that find themselves inside the Void have been forced there by dark ritual, sacrifices to the Chthonian horrors that dwell within. With the Cult of Ch’thon gathering blood to feed their hungering god, Void Rifts have been tearing open all over Cairn, spilling forth Chthonians hungering for flesh.

All this and more awaits you as we continue to release more of Act 3’s content. We expect Chapter 2 to be released in March 2015, or earlier. Make sure to check back on 01/05/2015 as we start off the New Year!

Looks awesome, especially the chthonic void! Can’t wait to play it.

The in-game Obsidian Defiler looks awesome! Can’t wait; you guys rock!

Looking forward to this, esp. the void looks great :wink:

Kindof bring a tear (of joy) to my eye, knowing this is the end :cry:

Looks amazing and notch another “can’t wait to play it” :cool:

Holy crap! That Chthonic Void and Obsidian Defiler look fantastic!!

I’m gonna take sooo much damage!!

I was not expecting Act 3 chapter 1 to come out this year, so you guys at Crate did an awesome job to speed up the crate process. :rolleyes:

Happy Holidays to all at Crate, and the folks in the forum too. :wink:

Hell yeah! All of these look great, especially the Void and the Hive (which reminds me of the Alien movies :p)

Cool update as usual. :smiley:

Cool ,I need to get my hands on this new content :slight_smile:

Sweet ! Can’t wait to visit the Chthonic Void. :slight_smile:

Love the updates.

Grim Dawn should be Game Of The Year.

How am I supposed to wait for March when you keep teasing all this information!?

Here is to the last Grim Misadventures of the year!

Cheers!

Amen brother indeed!

So maybe March for the second part of act 3, so how long till the final release for act 3 and then the game? 2016? ugh.

I love the game, really I do, but I’ve been playing for 2 years already. The wait is incredible.

That being said, the pictures looks great. Especially this one:

We need more depth perception like this. Makes the game feel more interactive and alive.

Really nice update to close a busy year. Act III will be really huge and awesome. Will the Void be part of chapter 2 (meaning there’s more to come after that) ?

Anyway it’ really exciting to see the game nearing completion. 2015 will be the year of the Grim Dawn ! Before that, happy christmas and new year to all the Crate team and all the forumers and Grim Dawn players !

(Yes that is the effect christmas has on me. Don’t worry i’m a bastard the rest of the year :mad: )

What a great update to finish this year. I love the void area.

March or earlier. If the next part in Act 3 contains most of the faction work that might mean less time needed to invest in later parts of the game like the possible mini Act 4.

I highly doubt a 2016 release, probably a mid to late 2015 imo.

playing the beta is optional you know so… playing for 2 years already was realy your choice, i do agree June or July we will have the release, if chapter 2 is in March then i believe chapter 3 will come with the release couple of months after :slight_smile:

The Void with its obsidian brings back memories of another mountain in another game :wink: me like

Only thing missing in the game now is a tree with hanging corpses from it like you had in D2 early on with the rogue.

Add some atmospheric environments/puzzles inspired by Dungeon Siege 2 and this game will not be pure awesome…but pure perfection! :smiley:

@Sano
there is quite a bit of depth perception in the game. Just go into some of the underground dungeons for example.