Grim Misadventure #72: Enter the Sanctums

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! Build 26 is now on the horizon and all the pieces of content are steadily falling into place. Act 3: Chapter 3 will take you beyond the northern gates of Homestead and out into the Blood Grove, a once bountiful region now overrun with the Cult of Ch’thon and their vile minions. But there are others out there, fighters pushing back against the corruption. I speak of the Kymon’s Chosen and the Order of Death’s Vigil.

With the release of Build 26, you will be able to enter the sanctuaries of these two opposing factions, depending on the one you side with, and begin your journey as either a Chosen or a Neophyte of the Order. Ulgrim is relying on you to turn these people into valuable allies for the Black Legion. Whichever you choose, they will prove to be a valuable asset in the battles ahead.

The sanctuaries of these factions are located at a ruined fort known as Sorrow’s Bastion. With both groups so close together, tensions run high and casualties are mounting. Before long, there may not be anyone to ally with at all.

The Order of Death’s Vigil

The Order’s sanctum was created using the Catacombs environment set. We originally showed off the Catacombs with a small 1-room layout in Act 3: Chapter 2, but the necromancer’s crypt takes full advantage of this environment set, with bone pits, desiccated remains and sarcophagi.

As you enter the Order’s sanctum, you will immediately be greeted by Master Varuuk, who will guide you on your first steps to serving the Order. But even the Order has secrets they will not so willingly share. Before you are allowed into the deepest reaches of the catacombs, you must first earn their favor.

Don’t let the crypts unsettle you. The dead only bite when told.

Kymon’s Chosen

The Fortress Underground is a new environment set featured prominently in Act 3 Chapter 3, including the sanctum of Kymon’s Chosen. The Chosen have settled in the tower of Sorrow’s Bastion. There, under the guidance of Father Kymon, they prepare to take the battle to the enemies of Cairn and cleanse their world of the tainted and the corrupt.

Brother Elluvius awaits you at the entrance, eager for another recruit to join Kymon’s cause. Very few are honored with missions from the Blessed Father himself. It will take dedication to prove yourself to the Chosen; and even among those the Father entrusts with Empyrion’s will, none have ever set foot within his private study. What hides beyond those gates? Only Kymon knows.

Siding with either faction is an entirely optional decision; but in the battles ahead, it is difficult to deny the resources they offer. Who will become your allies and who your sworn enemies?

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 06/08/2015 for our regular development updates!

Attachment: Necros 1.jpg
Attachment: Necros 2.jpg
Attachment: Necros 3.jpg
Attachment: Zealots 1.jpg
Attachment: Zealots 2.jpg
Attachment: Zealots 3.jpg

Looks great!

Good work Team

i thought it was a day off in America (like in France) so thank you even more for the update :wink:

and it’s awesome, as usual, great replay value and great orders. are the catacombs and the tower roguelike dungeons ?

it looks really great anyway !

I love this catacombs setting <3

Looking good as aways!

I’ve already favoured Kymon’s Choosen for my main “Paladin” Commando, and their faction gears are awesome! (SoT is a cake walk now)

Can’t wait to be able to enter Sorrow’s Bastion…

Wait… does that means I can completely ignore both them?

I wonder if that will make both factions neutral or hostiles to me, if I were to ignore them completely…

Great update, thanks! Waiting for B26… but b25 HotFix 3 first :slight_smile:

You can choose to ignore them and they will stay neutral until you choose one.

Is there any idea yet which faction is best to choose for which character yet i.e. Which would be best for a Summoner or a pure Soldier build etc

You might talk to both in Homestedt. It may give you an idea.

Ah, I see… was kinda sure that this would be the case, although it would be interesting if you denied them, then both would hunt you down, since you’re a “Taken” and might be a possible threat to them…

Order of Death = Summoner friendly probably (Dunno, as I haven’t unlcked them yet)

Chosen = Commando/Battlemage friendly

Although I think the Black Legion suits better for a pure Soldier, from what I’ve noticed.

Homestead also has some nice adds for Soldiers too.

Order of Death’s vigil is mostly focused on Arcanist and nightblade
Kymon’s chosen is mostly focused on Soldier and Demolitionist.
Occultist is split between them.

Honestly though, both factions have something for every class, but they have the least impressive items and augments out of all the factions at this point in time.

Death’s vigil has literally nothing to offer summoners, outside of an epic ring with a low amount of pet damage. Neither kymon’s or death’s are suited to summoners.

It’s a federal holiday, so government employees have to get the day off (except essential offices), everyone else just usually gets the day off as well. Even if Zantai does have the day off today, it’s pretty simple to write this up beforehand and upload it automatically, or even do it all today and then do no other work.

You know… for a faction represented by necromancers, you would’ve expect them to be more summoner friendly…

At least the Rovers got a consumable that boosts your pets… it seem that’s the winning faction for summoners for the moment.

Looking forward to Act 3, Chapter 3!

Whichever you choose, they will prove to be a valuable asset in the battles ahead.

Does this mean that there will be ally warriors duking it out with you? Or will they only provide you with some bonuses?

Really Nice! Can’t wait :smiley:

I guess that with the proper amount of repution we will be able to go through those 2 gates with the same character no matter witch faction we chosed?

Amazing art assets in this game… Can’t wait!

Well, they’ll be providing you with faction equipment which can get to be fairly valuable depending on your character type.

If they do duke it out with us, I imagine it may work similar to the Polyphemus fight and Parthenon assault in Titan Quest.

Wow!! Looking great. Love the options.

I didn’t get to play TQ past a few hours of demo unfortunately, but I can picture that being quite epic. :slight_smile: