Grim Misadventure #74: From the Depths of the Void

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures, the place to visit for upcoming Grim Dawn content! A lot has happened in the last two weeks that bears worth mentioning. For one, we released a major update to the game with Build 26. The game’s content now takes you all the through to the end of Act 3, where you face off against the insidious Cult of Ch’thon. The level cap has been raised to 50 and you can now join one of two new Factions, turning the other into mortal enemies.

Sometimes bugs manage to slip in though, and we are committed to providing you with as bug-free an Early Access experience as we can. As such, we released a series of hotfixes (Hotfix 1, Hotfix 2, Hotfix 3) with various tweaks to game balance, fixes to reported issues and resolutions to several crashes that have been reported by the community. We thank all of our players who diligently report issues, you are helping make Grim Dawn a better experience for all.

But that was days ago, you want to know what’s coming up next! Well, we have another treat for your today, a treat straight from the Chthonic Void. The Ashen Wastes are just the first layer of the Void, the barrier between reality and the darkness from which are birthed all fiends and demons. To truly experience the horrors that the Void contains, you must go deeper, past the desolate ashen wastelands and into the obsidian peaks and the pools of blood.

Feast your eyes on the latest from the monster menagerie of Act 4.

Chthonian Dreadguard

In GM#73, you may have noticed a collection of fiendish obsidian two-handed weapons. Such cruel weaponry is not wielded by just anyone. The Chthonian Dreadguards are the brutal vanguard of Ch’thon’s infinite legions. Armed with weapons of war crafted from the Void itself and incapable of feeling pain, these hellish brutes cut an unstoppable swath of destruction across their enemies’ ranks.

But they are not all just mindless beasts, hell-bent on annihilation. Deep in the darkest pits, there dwells a scheming creature of fire and shadow known as Shar’Zul. In its black domain, the demon plots the eradication of all life on Cairn, and the return of precious blood to its master, the Dead God Ch’thon.

Chthonian Leech

It is a well-known fact that the Void is the birthplace of unspeakable horrors, the nightmares of mortals made manifest. One such creature is the Chthonian Leech, a fiend consisting of dozens of ravenous life-stealing tentacles, each seemingly with a life of its own. Leeches prey upon all living creatures with an insatiable hunger; they are even known to turn upon the denizens of the Void when other sources of food prove lacking. Thankfully for them, and unfortunately for you, Cairn is ripe with the spawn of the Dead God’s blood.

Should you ever find yourself in the deepest pits of the Void, steel yourself against these fiends and their vitality attacks, lest you become another desiccated corpse rotting in the Ashen Wastes.

The deepest pits of the Void await you in Act 4. Do you dare enter the domain of Ch’thon?

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 07/06/2015 for our regular development updates!

Attachment: DreadGuard01.jpg
Attachment: Leech01.jpg

Looks sick! The leech reminds me of something out of slient hill or something lovecraftian.

Sweet. Thanks for your hard work guys, as always.

Those Chthonian Dreadguards look badass!

Now that is awesome.

Damn! they look amazing

Your art team is amazing!

Oow yeah more things to kill :slight_smile:

hah, it might just be time to upgrade my graphics card. Still running on onboard, with lowest settings almost everywhere :slight_smile:

awwww yissss looks amazing! keep up the great work devs! :smiley:

Every time you post awesome new monsters, I have the strangest dichotomy of feelings. First, I think they look amazing and then I want to tear them to shreds. I probably should be banned from art museums… :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes aside, they look great!

So…they’re all “Unstoppable”? If so, that is amazingly awesome.

We Dark Souls now. :cool:

Amazing update guys, looking forward to getting wrecked by these things!

Leech looks so cool :slight_smile: good job. I just cant find any open cthonic rift :frowning: I found one, died there and now i cant find any other rift… i must farm harder :slight_smile:

Hey, wait, why does “Chthonian” not have an apostrophe like “Ch’thon” does? Those damned heretic cultists are even messing with our language!

Nice update thanks!

Looks good! I need to get into the Ashen Wastes to start to prepare! :slight_smile:

Perhaps some chest armor, Chains of the Dreadguard?

Japanese schoolgirls must be afraid of tentacle monsters! :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome work Crate!

Really awesome, great looking monster !
I love your character and monster design.Crate, you keep doing an amazing job improving this game.

Chains of the Dreadguard of the Dranghoul is what you need. :slight_smile:

Maybe Dreadguard Chains? I’d go for it.

too good and i cant play