Grim Misadventure #86: Empowering Old Favorites

Grim Misadventures continues! We hope that everyone is enjoying the recent release of Build 28 and the highly anticipated Devotion System. But there is still more to come!

We are still on track for a 2015 release of Build 29, and all of the game’s promised content with it. We already showed you some of the Legendary items you can look forward to hunting down, but there is still more to come with itemization. In today’s update, we would like to talk about how we are expanding the selection of Unique items in the endgame.

Throughout your levelling experience, you will find a variety of unique items that will suit your particular playstyle but, like the lowly scrap-heap of equipment you wear early on, there will come a time when you have to retire your favorite Epic item in favor of something new that helps you compete with the ever stronger monsters of Cairn. However, we feel that it would be a shame to leave all those items behind in the dust, so we have created what we are calling Empowered Epics.

Empowered Epics are just that, powered up versions of low level unique items which have been updated to become competitive with high level equipment. Empowered Epics are treated like new items in that they do not just get their existing stats increased, they also receive new bonuses and skills on top of that. Take a look at some of the Epic items receiving the Empowered treatment.

Aetherwoe

Boltspitter

Elementium

Oldernar’s Stabilizer

Razorback’s Spined Mantle

Empowered Epics will be added to the loot tables with the release of Build 29. You do not have to keep lower level versions of these Epics to acquire them, but if having them feels like a lucky charm, by all means. :smiley:

What? How Did This Get In Here? A Mystery…

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 12/21/2015 for our regular development updates!

I am so happy that I am first post :smiley: haha

Empowered system is comparable to Diablo 3’s Ancient items but then actually made better :wink:

Wow, that’s just… wow! You guys never cease to amaze us, huh? I think you mentioned about this ages back, but I thought it was just an idea… I’m really glad that you’re actually doing something for lower lvl Epics too… FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Also…

Holy crap! This legendary set is fantastic looking! MUST HAVE IT NAO!!!

Oh my god this is amazing. You guys are the best! :smiley:

Awesome stuff.

Though wouldn’t it make more sense to be able to get these empowered versions by some sort of upgrade?

Did not want to pressure you to keep around low level items in the hope of upgrading them, or worse, being forced to farm low level areas so you can upgrade it to a relevant level.

Are these drop only or can you craft them?

I agree. These empowered Epics should’ve been acquired through crafting as recipes.

You would need the previous Epic as the main “material” for teh crafting, plus the usual component requirements… oh well, I’m just glad that they do exist!

I can’t wait to see the Lightning Rod one… :cool:

That new Empowered Boltspitter is really powerful for piercing builds. I have a question - how many low-level epics will get their empowered versions?

Was hoping this (to justify being a packrat/hoarder…), but also quite happy to re-farm them and have loot tables refilled with usable stuff. Also not waste all that low level art, some of which was great looking but unusable for most of the game thus far…

…on a tangent: Empowered Blightshard Amulet? :smiley:

Anyways, very nice Misadventure today, Crate Team…

Awesome!! Can’t wait until 29!! :smiley:

I wonder if the low level epic sets will have an Empowered version. Would like to get Empowered Guardsman’s set.

this looks friggin AMAZING!!! will there be a way to upgrade the low level versions to empowered ones? i think this would make it easier to upgrade your gear for existing characters

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk

I’m so glad to see the Empowered Epics! I felt sad that I wouldn’t be using some of the low level epics later on in the game. So hoping I find the Empowered Bonesnap Gavel, because my Warder could really use it!

Looking forward to B29!

This is one of the best piece of news ever. With so many builds revolving around certain Epics, this is great! However, I agree that there should be a recipe for upgrading existing Epics to their Empowered versions…

246 low level epics are coming back in style.

Are you planning to make so that all lower level Epics get this special treatment?

At which level range are they being considered as “low level” Epics BTW? Like, will Epics at the level range 20 or 30 be included on it?

Considering it’s pretty easy to miss out on your window for obtaining specific low-levelled Epics, it’s…probably for the best this way. I wouldn’t want to have to keep rolling a low level character to farm a low level area just to get a low level Epic to empower.

Otherwise, a reasonable way of increasing item diversity without having to have the artist/s churn out more and more designs. Since a lot of Epics only have a small level window of which to drop, I guess it’d be a shame for a newer player to never see them.

I wonder if the legendary armor sets have any association with the Gods of Cairn…

Amazing! I was wondering what the highest level of item would be that’s getting an empowered version. I love my low level uniques as well, but my Lv40 Prismatic Eviscerator is starting to fall off a bit.

Will Legendary items get Empowered and come back in style?:eek: