Grim Misadventure #89: Build 31 Preview

Grim Misadventures continues. 2015 was a huge year for Grim Dawn, but nothing is going to top 2016 because this is the year the game will leave Early Access behind and graduate to release status!

With all of the content in place, we are now fully focused on improving what’s there, and that comes in many forms, from balance to optimization to itemization to environments. There is much to share and the changelog is getting long, but we would like to give you a sampling of the changes coming your way with Build 31.

Updated Environments
There are some areas of the world that we’ve always meant to return to, but with the need to wrap up the content we never had a chance to. The first area on this list was the Burrwitch Outskirts, which is now a proper forest.

Some changes are also coming to parts of Arkovian Foothills and Old Arkovia, both to streamline certain parts of the progression and to bring out more of the remnants of Arkovian architecture.

Updates to Loot and Loot Tables
This section could be a list in itself, we are taking a look at Rare Affixes, Magic Items, Epic Items, Drop Rates…

Rare Affix, Epic and Legendary drop rates are going up on Elite and Ultimate difficulty. We are also cutting down on the odds of getting single-affix items and greatly increasing the chance of rolling a double-affix item, at level 55+. The affixes rolled on Monster Infrequents will be significantly improved, with lower odds of getting a single affix. We are also taking a look at Rare Affixes and Monster Infrequents, making them more powerful with a focus on introducing more defensive stats, which are critical to surviving on Elite and Ultimate difficulty.

We also resolved an error in the Epic item loot tables which only became apparent at max level. This error greatly reduced the selection of Epic items which could appear at level 85, resulting in many duplicate drops. This issue is resolved in Build 31.

Reduced Chance of Getting Duplicate Blueprints
The loot system will attempt to reroll a Blueprint drop if you already have it learned. The goal here was not to completely eliminate duplicates, but the odds should be greatly reduced.

Damage Over Time Effects can Critically Strike
With Build 31, you will be able to improve your damage over time effects with Offensive Ability, just as you would with instant damage. In addition, these effects will be able to trigger on Crit procs, such as from Devotion.

Mastery and Devotion Tuning
We are taking another look at Masteries and Devotion to improve upon lackluster options and toning down those that are proving too strong. Almost every Constellation has seen changes.

Nemesis Tuning
Not all Nemesis bosses are created equal. A pass has been done to bring their challenge closer together. In Particular, Fabius will have his Pneumatic Burst significantly nerfed at higher levels/difficulties so the fight is not so drawn out, while also reducing the burst in attack speed and damage he gains from the buff. The Avatar of Mogdrogen will summon his minions with reduced frequency, and his defenses and damage at low health have been reduced.

Optimization to the Pathfinding System
While the main intent of this update was to improve general performance when dealing with larger battles, it also had the added benefit of improving the pathing for skills such as Blitz and Shadow Strike, which will allow you to push/pass through enemies to reach your intended target.

Achievements are Unlocked
You will finally be able to earn all those achievements everybody’s been datamining for months. These will be viewed through an in-game UI and can be earned whether you play through Steam or through the standalone release copy.

Some of the Achievements will be retroactive, but not all.

New Tutorial System
The old Tutorial UI has been ripped out in favor of tutorial tips that will appear near the relevant element of the game. Detailed info will be stored in the Codex Window (Quest/Lore Log).

And More…
More, there is always more. Another big Changelog is coming your way!

The full release build is currently on track for February.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 02/08/2016 for our regular development updates!

Fantastic, bring it on! Critting dots! muhahah!

(…You really want to keep combining of materials to components? I hope you won’t! …just sayin’ It would make the game really polished if you get rid of the remains of ancient less value mechanics that only become tedious after a few hours and only lasts as thingiecrap in my inv that i need to distinguish from full components with my nose attached to the screen. i know the mathematical shift to component drop only would again need a little work, but it would be a good investment)

Looks great! I can’t wait untill final release. Thanks crate :slight_smile:

Excellent news!!!:D:D:D

Nice, I’m looking forward to the release of Grim Dawn, best wishes to Crate!!

So much awesomeness!!!

OMG incredible! I can’t wait. I need achievements jeje

So many things to quote, but it would end up just being the original post.

The environment changes look fantastic!

A lot of the other changes you listed are stuff people have been wanting, so hopefully they will be happy.

Anyways, can’t wait to get this build in my hands.

One question though. Is B31 coming before full release? I would think so, but wanted to be sure.

This should make THC7 happy. lol

Wow, Burrowitch looks fantastic!

Looks sick :slight_smile:

“Damage Over Time Effects can Critically Strike
With Build 31, you will be able to improve your damage over time effects with Offensive Ability, just as you would with instant damage. In addition, these effects will be able to trigger on Crit procs, such as from Devotion.”

How the hell does that help NightBlade-oriented procs like Blades of wrath and Assassin’s mark proc more frequent?

NB have a hard time proc-ing( unless they’re assigned to spells like blade spirit) as they are.

still so many good things to come :slight_smile:

keep up the great work !

edit : the pathfinding fix for charging skills is a long requested and really convenient feature. really happy to read this will be a thing from the past soon !

B31 will have Achievements unlocked so I think B31 is the full release of Grim Dawn, right?

Looks great!
Will there be more end games item added/altered to support different builds?

you guys keep making more awesome changes thx :slight_smile:

B31 is full release.

Damn. That was a pretty kickass Misadventure. As always I’m loving the new art additions, they look fantastic.

Lots of good news this week, all told.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Maybe. I know it will come to testers before it goes out live, but the internal testing group is small and won’t catch all issues. But this true with every build and that’s what hotfixes are for. :slight_smile:

What will actually happen to Grim Dawn after B31, if that’s full release?

:edit: ugh brainfart sorry, i’m pretty damn high right now :rolleyes:

P.s. Looks amazing crate, meni appreciationz as usual!