Grim Misadventure #92: Grim Dawn Your Way

So Grim Dawn’s released, how about that? But Grim Misadventures cannot be stopped!

Reviews are slowly trickling in from a variety of publications. Grim Dawn now has over 6000 user reviews on Steam, with over 94% of them positive. We are sitting at a solid 8.9 User Score on Metacritic and averaging 85% from reviewers. Throughout its release week, the game has climbed as high as #2 on Steam, remained in the top 10 throughout its 10% release discount and has stayed in the top 25 despite a publisher sale that started recently. All in all, an excellent start to the game’s post-release!

But you are probably here because you want more Grim Dawn, MORE. Well do not worry; we still have plenty in store for you as we continue to support the game beyond its release. There are still modding tools, Survival Mode, an expansion and then some. What? There’s a “then some”? Of course there is, there must always be more. As for what the more is, you will have to wait and see!

First in line though are the game’s modding tools, based on the same tools in fact that we used to create the game. I am currently in the process of preparing documentation for them so that you can not only dive right in to creating your own worlds and modifications for Grim Dawn when the tools are released, you might even have a clue of what you are doing as you go on your way to creating grim misadventures of your very own.

The tools soon to be at your disposal:

Asset Manager
The Asset Manager does exactly what it implies: manage your mod files. Here is where you will add the various game files which will form your modification, whether that is levels, monsters, new equipment or even scripts.

World Editor
The World Editor allows you to build your own levels, place monsters NPCs, script triggers, even your own Devotion Shrines.

Quest Editor
The Quest Editor is a powerful tool for creating game content, capable of managing branching quest resolutions and triggering scripted events. You can even use the functionality created for Bounty quests in order to create repeatable content.

Conversation Editor
The Conversation Editor is intertwined closely with the Quest Editor and shares much of its functionality. You can use it to create complex webs of conversations and execute scripts based on the player’s choices.

Database Editor
The Database Editor is where most modders will likely spend their time. This tool allows you to edit a wide variety of game aspects, including monsters, items, gameplay constants/formulas, skills, monster spawners and more. Almost everything that defines gameplay is edited with this tool.

Lua Scripting
Lua scripting is for the more code-inclined modders, but it presents some great opportunities to create scripted events in your mods ranging from simple trapped chests to a vast web of interacting scripted events throughout your mod world.

There is much potential here and we are eager to see what players will do with these tools at their disposal. Next time, we will go over some of the functionality of these tools in more depth, but if you have any specific questions regarding these tools, please let us know in the comments below. If you are a prospective modder, let the community know about your potential ideas!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 03/21/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

In my hands, NAO!

Awesomesauce. Looking forward to some innovative mods in the near future.

Also, most importantly - this.

There are still modding tools, Survival Mode, an expansion and then some.

I have question about FX editor, will be there something to play with ?

need moar info of Survival Mode

Wow. That is going to great fun to play around with.

PLEASE!!!

Somebody make some new classes!!!

Esp a ranged one and thank you

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

That is all for now.

Gawd… I just hope I’ll somehow manage to free enough time to do some nasty modding.
Accumulating ideas for a while now… :cool:

I’m not a fan of mods(dunno why but I feel bad playing with them), but DAMN I WANT THE EXPANSION AND THE “THEN SOME” NOW

I neeeeeeeeeed it!:smiley:

QFT :smiley:

NO! make me. :rolleyes:

This takes me back to Warcraft 3 World Editor…so much memories. Is it possible we will be able to make a base building wave defense game? It could be fun.

I just want to know how to create more stash tabs with the editor, and when the editor will be released!

Give this person a cookie!

I can say I do know nothing about making a mod…but I do know a lot about abusing mods…yeeeeeeeeeeeee:rolleyes:

Nice one indeed Zantai. Many thanks :smiley:

How about texture editor or something like this? Is there a way to export or import game textures?

Woohoo! Mod tools! I can’t wait to try my hand at making a Mastery and a Dungeon, and then see how bad they turn out. Woo! :smiley:

Hi Zantai,
This is my most wanted Misadventure, as I would like to make some mods later.
I believe modders will have a lot of questions, so let’s start :wink: !

• Will it be possible through conversation editor to give player a non mastery skill at a specific level, remove this skill, increase the level of this skill ?
  • Will it be possible to save a token (an integer or a string token) for all characters (for example the achievement system must count all monsters killed by all characters so there must be a way)?
  • Will it be possible to make some new achievements ? (In what file are achievements saved ?)
  • About blueprint/recipes saved in the formulas.gst.Now, when we replace the name of a formula in the formulas.gst by one that doesn’t exist in the database, when we load the character, it deletes all other formulas.
    That’s not good because as it works it will delete all formulas when we load a character with a different mod (I believe there will be only one directory for all modded characters and one file formulas.gst shared between all modded characters).
    Will it be possible to keep all formulas even those doesn’t exist in the database ?
  • Will it be possible to mod the weaponblink skills like shadow strike to make it target the ground in order to use it as a movement power ?
  • Will it be possible to make item with skill modifier/transmuter (I believe not but I prefer to ask)?
    -Will it be possible to make new faction and keep all original factions ?
  • Masteries skills are limited /capped to skillname34, if you add more entries for example up to skillname50, it will be possible to add more skills/transmuters to the skilltree, I think it would be good for modders (if it’s easy and possible).
  • Same for the number of masteries capped at 10 for now it woul be great to increase it to 15 for example (if it’s easy and possible).
    Thanks