Grim Misadventures #2: Real Estate, Cheap!

Greetings from Cairn! The sun is shining, the creatures of the forest are stirring, and life is good! Scratch that. There are thunder clouds looming, the creatures are out to eat us, and life as we know it has been redefined by zombies. But don’t mind me. How are you doing on your comfy Earth? Zantai here, bringing you another update into the development of Grim Dawn.

With my earlier work destroyed by rampant fire FXs, the origin of which we are still investigating, I turned my attention to the rest of the zone. Where there is a graveyard, there are people. It turns out that people live in things, particularly homes. Our modular house parts make home building really easy and awesome. Talk about cheap construction costs! As long as you don’t mind the blood stains, burn marks, and broken roofs, you can just move right in. No takers? Alright.

A feature of the editing tools that assists in putting together the modular homes is the grid. All assets can be snapped to the grid for easy alignment (this includes walls, doors, floors, zombies, and small satellites). However, if you ran into the zone with all the homes neatly aligned, you’d think you entered a block in Manhattan (hint: blocks in Manhattan are in a grid) rather than a small village in the mountains. But that’s easy to fix, you say? Sure! Let’s just select the entire house and rotate it. Just remember to turn the grid off first…You forgot to turn the grid off, didn’t you?

This is a house. Note its fine layout, as if designed to perform its duty as a place of safety and small children.

This is a house after rotating it with the grid toggled on. Note its lack of function as a house.

Having turned the houses into a jigsaw puzzle, my work there was done. It turns out that Cairn isn’t just graveyards and ruined villages. There are dark secrets to be uncovered, but also places that survived the grim apocalypse. Whether those places are safe is another story.

Disclaimer: the following images are work in progress and may not reflect the final product. Viewing these images may stimulate ocular sensors and inspire joy. Side effects may include curiosity, replies, and out of body experiences.

I’m sure this turned out well.

To be added later: fires!

This is the part where I disappoint you and say: That’s all for today! Check back on 07/22/12 for another tantalizing update!

Attachment: House - sized.jpg
Attachment: House Rotated - sized.jpg
Attachment: Circle - sized.jpg
Attachment: Nature - sized.jpg

Thanks for the update. It reads like there should be pictures but I can’t see any :frowning: . I’ll wait for some pics before I move into one of these houses but the promise of fire does make it sound warm and cosy :cool:.

ps. Shouldn’t this be “Grim Misadventures #2”?

I can’t see the pictures either :confused: A shame, Grim Dawn real estate seems l’d definately be interested in! :smiley:

Apologies. Pictures have been restored and the counter has resumed its counting.

Lovin the updates, screens and information. Keep up the DAMN FINE work!

Now it’s looking great! Those last two pics really are mysterious. You mentioned looking at those images may cause curiosity: I totally agree. What’s that corpse doing in the middle of that magic ring? Is it part of a quest or just another object in the world that strikes terror into our hearts as we pass by on our way through Cairn?
These questions, hopefully, will be answered by you Zantai, or maybe the alpha when it’s released :smiley:

Pretty good stuff you got there. that body in the circle really caught up my attention too. anyway, keep up the good work and the updates coming!

I really love that last picture. And I’m sure there’s an interesting story behind that body in the circle… Thanks for the update!

Love the water effects!
Thanks for the update, and keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to say Zantai, there is a problem with that corpse in the glyph-circle. I keep clicking to activate it but nothing happens :undecided:

A patch to fix that bug would be much appreciated! I can then resume my journey by finding out what’s in that puzzle… I mean house!

I really like your work so far and the read is always enjoyable. :slight_smile:

While circle.jpg got me reaaally curious about whats going on there I like the nature pick the most. It’s just so beautiful. :3

Damn, that’s some really tacky wallpaper in that house. Are you sure its Victorian era and not something from a 1960’s sitcom? :wink:

Zantai, a little inspiration for that mind of yours - like a nice little easter egg of a house tucked away, with three little beds, a golden haired body on the floor and 3 little bears in its residence. Come on, you can do it.

Ow cool, Cabin in the Woods gone wrong.

I especially like the last picture. Beatiful environmental snapshot!

you do use ceremonial knife on prepared corpse, don’t you? hm, should i warn you to prepare for immediate demon binding? naw, what could possibly go wrong?

your work has been great so far and this new update is very good too, love the update, keep them coming

Can we talk about a timeshare? The broken roof would likely be a bummer in the winter. I’m down to occupy said house during the warm months though.

as long as the zombies and other monsters don’t try to evict me from the place, I might consider moving in, but the roof would have to be fixed ASAP :smiley:

wrong? nonsense!
clearly the architects of cairn are of the previously undiscovered Rubik’s school.

as for the corpse in the circle. most assuredly well. it’s still Inside the Circle. it seems to me, that problems with summoning circles usually happens when they break and what’s inside gets Outside. “Oohh, Aahh, that’s how all of this starts, but then later there’s the running and screaming”

I like all the pics.
Hmm, but that circle thing reminds me of Wizardry 8, where you stick a long sword into a random stone pillar and open up the secret dungeon. Or maybe we could just poke it with a stick…nothing ever goes wrong when you do that, right?

@Madned
lol, nice quote. Although now I’ve got Weird Al singing in my head ><; “I admit it’s kind of eerie/but this proves my chaos theory”

Damn. I’m going to have to learn to hide the corpses and my magical workings better. None of you were meant to see what became of poor Gladys, but that’s alright, I’m certian you’ll all forget very quickly… evil smile

Other than that can we keep the puzzle houses in the game? I reakon they’d be great for one of those wtf?! moments while exsploring. Just leave it in some distant corner for people to find. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also I will await the said fire instalment for the nature scene.