Grim Misadventures #6: Of Rats and Zombies

Greetings to the overpowered monster extravaganza! This is Zantai reporting from my own personal monster boot camp, where creatures enter and hero monsters emerge.

Welcome to the monster factory.

It goes on and on and on and on…

Here is where brand new hero monsters are first tested against real human opponents for bugs (oops, he’s casting invisible fields of death), damage (oops, he just killed me in two shots), and fun (oops, he just killed me in two shots using an invisible field of death). Depending on your level of masochism, the aforementioned scenario might have fit your definition of fun. In that case, we apologize in advance for a lack of invisible death fields.

After this phase is complete, the 100% genuine awesome seal of approval coolness stamped hero monster is added to the spawn pools (this is about when the other devs at Crate start asking who put the ******** monsters into the game).

Let’s meet some of our heroes, shall we?

Disclaimer: the following names, models, textures, mechanics, concepts, otherworldly beings, and brain children are work in progress and may not reflect the final product.

You will recognize hero monsters easily thanks to several defining factors:

1. They are usually bigger
  2. They are usually of a different appearance
  3. They cast unique skills
  4. They probably hurt…a lot
  5. They have an icon over their head denoting them as a hero (art TBD)

We are here to own you…or to summon Captain Planet.

Who better to start off with than a traitor to our race? Meet Leander Greene, the Saboteur! This mean fellow prefers explosives, fire, and ballistics to walks on the beach and generally being nice to others. Forum sleuths may recognize his abilities from the Demolitionist mastery. The Saboteur’s skill set includes:

Molotov: hurls a projectile that explodes on impact, creating a field of fire that persists for several seconds.

Mortar Trap: creates a stationary pet that hurls exploding projectiles at nearby enemies.

Thermite Mines: creates a stationary pet that explodes when an enemy comes near.

The Saboteur is chaotic and never lets you sit still. Ranged characters will find themselves in a particularly dangerous situation as Leander prefers to hurl his Molotovs at range. Rumor has it that Leander occasionally carries a powerful gun that has as vile a reputation as he does.

You know what you need? More explosions.

Up next, we have Baldim, the Chaosbringer. Baldim comes with the standard Raptor repertoire, along with the addition of two chaos-based spells:

Chaos Wave: unleashes a wave of chaos damage in a tight cone. This skill has a wide damage range.

Chaos Barrage: unleashes a barrage of projectiles throughout the area which explode into chaotic fragments. Evading all of these projectiles is nearly impossible.

Baldim is relentless in his attacks, leaving neither ranged or melee fighters in a state of comfort for long. Should you be unfortunate enough to find him in a pack of his lesser broodlings, it would be wise to play it safe.

Baldim and his brother Aragonax, the Undying. Meeting two heroes in one battle? Great way to leave a gravestone.

This is just a small sample. There is a grand total of 66 hero monsters in the game at this time, awaiting the arrival of foolhardy adventurers who would test their mettle against the unique skill set.

That’s all we have for today. Curious readers are encouraged to vote in the poll as I would like to take things in a new direction next time (9/16/12): In addition to your usual discussion, please vote on whether you wish to see more hero monsters, or some low level epic items. Til next time!

Attachment: Labyrinth - sized.jpg
Attachment: Rainbow2 - sized.jpg
Attachment: Raptors - sized.jpg
Attachment: Saboteur - sized.jpg

I very, VERY much like the fact that they all have custom skills and skill animations! Awesome! :smiley: Do they spawn in certain areas as well or can they appear wherever?

Seems hero monsters are shaping up to be exactly what I was hoping for! Also, here’s to hoping you can continue to think up cool abilities for even more hero monsters! :smiley:

These type of hero monsters put the D3 elites/champs/uniques to shame - those ones don’t have unique skills… just a pool of random affixes that all of them share. =/

This is absolutely fantastic, Zantai!! I can’t wait to face them! =)

I have to agree with Dri, D3 champions are fail…just fail…they are in no way unique, their abilities are fu-ked up and in no way balanced, nor clever-crafted to be a challenge, etc.

Thanks so much for the update, that is looking awesome :smiley:

Just what I needed to wake me up on a Monday morning.

Well, these look splendiferous. Even better than I had hoped. And to think there are sixty plus hero monsters… drool

Any chance of some of these unique monster skills being granted to the player by Items?

First of all, I am glad you are working for Crate Zantai. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, and especially these updates.

Secondly, I love things getting hairy, sitting there testing my mettle and wondering what will come out of the world of Cairn next. You guys will have failed if I finish the game with less than 50 deaths, okay? :wink:

Who do I see there? John Wayne or Chuck Norris. :stuck_out_tongue: Great update.
Aaa… demolition. My first mastery to play. :slight_smile: Molotov sounds cool. Is grenado still present in demolition skill tree?
Release game now!

Wow. Just wow.

GDFTW!

Great work Zantai! some fine looking monsters you got there. looking forward to the next post!

Monsters are just a problem to the solution. Bring on the epics.

Epics?

Do you mean items or more monsters?

If you mean items…then I am really looking forward to the epic dual wielding bowguns. :slight_smile:

Loving the names of the heroes! Keep up the great work Zantai, your posts are thoroughly entertaining! :smiley:
Cheers for another awesome post,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

Edit:

I would love to see this! :smiley: Leander Greene’s rifle granting Molotov for example (or is that already a Demolition skill?)

Really awesome screenshots :rolleyes: I can’t wait :confused:

Those hero monsters look great! So that’s one of the traitorous jerks we get to smack around, huh? rubs hands together gleefully Sound like fun to me! Lol, loved your Captain Planet comment…they are kind of colorful aren’t they? Geez, I can’t decide between more mobs and peeking at some epic weaponry! :undecided: But, keep up the good work, Zantai!

Zantai thanks once again for a new update great screenshots there love the look of the mobs i dont care about the more colorfull look, the brighter the better i think i know grim dawn is dark but things being too dark could just make the game grey and unplane to look at so the more color the better.

As for the perks of the mobs i think there fairly average as it stands but i dont mind that its what i would expect out of a game like this so please keep showing us what other things we can kill.

Btw the big map with all the open hutz i wonder if you would put most of the mobs in there put the char in the middle and take a screenshot just as they are about to hit the char all at once ?. i mean that would be epic lol.

One last thing to this comunity, I really do hope this game really takes off in a really fantasic way because as i see it atm and hearing that sacred 3 is being made but its not a sacred game at all is to say that a game like this would fall flat on its face. And to that i say what a crock of bulldust if anyone bothers to read what this new game of sacred will be I think it will almost make you sick.

As for this game these teasers are just what I belive im looking forward to and i love anything you have to show off. please keep it up.

WOW, just WOW!!!

what more can I say, those guys looks like they will be able to kick any foolhardy adventurer’s backside back where they came from, if they aren’t careful. I love the hero monsters, going to be a pain and a joy taking them down, and should add a new mix to tactics and gameplay if one of those suddenly appears and you have to use different skills or even RUN!!!

I really like all your updates, and you are a worthy member of the team, so glad you are on the team, as GD is clearly going to be one special; game with you and the other devs involved, while it was sad that 36 studios was forced to close, but there is a silver lining in your case and the others, who are now helping to make the best ARPG going, as clearly the quality of your work really shines, as do your updates

can’t wait for this game to come out

Maybe we should coin the term “Zantastic” :smiley:

I second that:D

This is exactly what we need on a Monday morning. And why create a poll for such a challenging question?

I believe it’s cause I am a mean individual.

It’s zantastic indeed! Great write-up, I never thought I’d see the monster bootcamp in my lifetime.

If we do get monsters with the next update, can we see one being gibbed to pieces? :smiley: