Grim Tools and Crate

It does offer you random build ideas though which is nice. Even if they are a bit wacky at times. :laughing:

Grimcalc was abandoned before AoM got very far in testing iirc. Stormcaller was offered the opportunity to keep it updated early same as Dammit does with GT, but he wasnā€™t interested.

1 Like

IIRC and from the above quote, I think Grim Tools came along and Stormcaller saw it was better, and decided not to spend more time on Grim Calc.

I think people donā€™t understand the time and effort it takes to develop, test, deploy, and maintain these sorts of tools; and that person (modder/tool creatr) get tired of it as their interest in maintaining it wanes - not to mention all the people that grumble about it not being updated and demanding it be updated.

After a while itā€™s not worth it, aka no incentive, to maintain it.

1 Like

Of course when you create tool/mode you put hedgehog in your pants :rofl:

Cause you have to updated with new patch and figure way to maintain it. Plus people that creates such things have passion for the game. But with the time, their project became chore, obligation rather than hobby. But because of their dedication we are grateful to the people that created it and spend their time helping others!

1 Like

Grimtools is very important for player retention. Casual ā€œstart and goā€ players donā€™t need it, hardcore vets who know every item, devotion bonus and monster spawn probably donā€™t need it that much either. Everyone in between can make a great use of it.
I can only say for myself, GT is vital for my gameplay. Iā€™m a builder kind of guy and i canā€™t imagine my GD day without optimizing the existing build or thinking about the new one and for that, with my knowledge of the game, GT is irreplaceable.

This week i came back from vacation to find GT down. I barely played. There is no overreaction around, in my opinion. Itā€™s pretty hard to overestimate GT.

I saw Grim Tools was down on Sunday(?) and Iā€™ve still played it a good bit everyday since, even leveling up 2 characters (Battlemage and Oppressor). So, while itā€™s definitely not hard to overestimate GT, and it is a marvelous tool at that, it certainly isnā€™t required to PLAY the game. When itā€™s back up and Dammit has had a great vacation, itā€™ll be wonderful to have it back. In the meantime, Iā€™ve got another 40 levels to go on my Battlemage. See you in the game.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been pretty much spamming the refresh button ever since it went down, hoping that it would come back up. Yea, I need it that much. The majority of links and utilities in the community also go to GT, so imagine. I was thinking and realizing the other day how much better GD is with GT. I hope it comes back soon!

Yeah. Itā€™s not like i never use GT generally, iā€™d argue compared to other tools, itā€™s one of the few when i use it regularly, i guess even more than GI, due with the 1.1.4.0 QoLs added i donā€™t use / need GI anymore. So the only other ā€œtoolā€ which i use way more than GT and GI is the Rainbow-Color Tool. The visibility of Stats is a huge improvement with thatā€¦ and that would be one of the things which i truly might miss and need besides autocomponentpickup.

I mean i get why a part of the Community dig this stuff, but iā€™m more the type of gamer who prefer the ā€œlearning by doingā€ way. And due Builds are often a work of iteration, i prefer to try and iterate ingame instead than outside of the Game merely based on numbers with theorycrafting. Also i guess i will sue GT more rarely, due i mostly used GT for Item-Database for Components and stuff, due i found it easier to filter it out. But now with the searchbars added itā€™s easier ingame IMHO.

Maphack is cool sometimes, but in that case again i prefer to learn the world and remember where the stuff is instead of killing the gameflow everytime by pause and checking stuff on the maphack.

Build Calculator, like i mentioned, i prefer ingame, though the only exception is when i sometimes check sometimes my devotion-route, and / or try builds made by the community (though only 2 so far)ā€¦ so yeah.

For me itā€™s a useful / helpful tool, but unlike some other QoLā€™s i donā€™t really need it to enjoy the gameā€¦