GUIDE: Installing & Using 3DS Max Plugins:

Hi, I am trying to add some new boots to the game, but they don’t “move” (follow when walking) with the feets.
Is there a bone name to add into the 3ds max or something inside a mif to make the game recognize the bones of the character for each feet (one max file for two boots).
When I go to the viewer and make View -> bones i’s empty.

I have imported the bones from the skeleton FBX (template) and save it inside the max file as dummy (with meters as unit) but it doesn’t show on the viewer.
Do I need to make another step for it to be recognized ?
Thanks

I think what I am missing is to assign or link the bones to the mesh of the object in 3ds max.
Can you explain how to do this with the bones of the template FBX ?

Hi okami,

Are you familiar at all with rigging/animating in Max? If not, what you’re trying to do can be very complicated and difficult to explain over the GD forums. I recommend studying some tutorials in setting up a rig using Biped and learning all the steps associated with the animation process (rigging/skinning, etc).

The issue you’re having is that the FBX rig you imported is just a template of the GD skeleton. You will need to build a new rig using the FBX file as a reference for bone positions/names/orientations. You should be able to do this with Max’s built-in Biped system, but again, if you’re not familiar with it I recommend learning more about it first.

In short, you need to rebuild a new rig (using biped), matching the pose/scale/names of the FBX reference rig. Then, you need to apply a skin modifier to the boots, add and skin the bones to the boots. Once you have all the bones skinned to the boots, they should show up in the viewer (assuming you’re using the standardskinned shader at that point).

I don’t have any knowledge in skinning/rigging but I have seen some videos on youtube.I will try to do this when I have the time.
Thank you it’s clear now.

Ok I made it work for the head by attaching Big01Head to the mesh.
However I did not create a new biped.
Just imported the FBX squeleton as bones (instead of dummy), added a skin modifier (envelope) to the mesh and attached the head bone.
It’s A LOT easier and faster than creating new bones, scaling, moving it, renaming the bones to match those of the dummy…

Why redoing a new biped for each mesh when we can just import the FBX as bones ?
Also do I need all the bones ? For example the head works fine with only 1 bone attached (and in the viewer I only see Big01Head).

That’s great to hear you got it working. If the FBX rig is working for you then making the biped version wouldn’t be necessary unless you plan to make custom animations at some point. Apologies for misleading you there.

It’s usually good practice to make sure all the armors have the same bones included in the skin list. The general consensus is that weird things can happen if the bone lists don’t match.

Thank for your answer.Well I have a hard time to make each gear piece fit nicely together.
Can you post a max scene of each gear to see what verticles are skinned to what bone.
If not possible can you tell us wich bones should be linked in each piece of gear.
I use the skin modifier in Autodesk then Edit eveloppes and in Weight properties, I attach vertices with Abs effect set to 1.

For example :
Head : Bip01 Head, Bip01 L Clavide,Bip01 Neck,Bone_Shoulder_L,Bone_Shoulder_R
Legs : Bip01 Pelvis, Bip01 L Thigh, Bip01 L Calf,Bip01 R Thigh, Bip01 R Calf
Gauntlet : Bip01 R Hand,Bip01 R Forearm, Bip01 L Hand,Bip01 L Forearm

But I have an issue with the legs, the calf and tight seem to be rotating with the pelvis even when standing still.Same if I attach to the spine instrad of the pelvis.
Also the viewer does not allow to see the link between bones and vertices.
It would be a great help to have an example in wich we can see which vertices are attached to what bones.

Quick Note:

If you have the problem that I had, i.e. when you click to select a shader and it just shows an empty Resources/ directory, then you need to open Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\Tools.ini with a text editor, find the line where it says

builddir0=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\

duplicate this line and remove the trailing 0 behind the “builddir” so it looks like this:

[Login]
localdir0=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\
builddir0=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\
builddir=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\
toolsdir0=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\
3dsmaxserver0=
additionalbuilddirs0=T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\ModdingTutorial\
additionalsourcedirs0=

I suspect similar things need to also be done for additionalbuilddirs0, localdir0 and all the other entries with trailing zeroes.

Can we get the source version (rigged/skinned .max file) of male / female player character model, so we could create custom animations?

I tried to make a bow attack animation for my mod but it is not possible just with the template files provided. The only way would be to rig / skin template model exactly the same way as source version used ingame, however that is very difficult thing to do and I don’t think that anyone in GD modding community who can pull this off.

I know I am asking for a lot but this would help us tremendously.

Alright, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it :wink:

These rigs are probably as old as time itself, inherited by us from a darker age when Grim Dawn was in its infancy. We have suffered through their quirks and issues over the years and now you too shall have the privilege.

Consider yourself officially warned.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20971&stc=1&d=1552361132

1 Like

Holy crap… it actually worked.

To be honest, I already know that you guys are super supportive of the GD community but this takes it to a whole another level.

You have my eternal gratitude, Allminoxy.

Our pleasure!

You guys have been doing some great stuff already, we look forward to seeing what you come up with using these.

Wow, that’s an unexpected gift to the modders.
Great support! Many thanks!

Finally had some time to play a little with that rig and here are the fruits of your generosity (so far).
It’s not perfect or anything but this is the first time I have made an animation so it should get better as I get more used to it.

//youtu.be/kukQkrGXp3s

Looks gorgeous for your first animation; can’t wait to see it in RoT!

Looks great, especially for a first-time animation!

Hi! How i can replace monster meshes with my own, and leave the original animation? have only 1 idea, it setting my rig close the same as i can see Bones in Viewer

@Allminoxy I asked different modders and nobody was able to make the 2019 plugin works with 3DS Max 2019 64 bit.
I don’ t know if it’s related but Widget.dll doesn’t exist in the x64 folder.

@Allminoxy Any chance that the 3DS Max 2019 plugin get fixed anytime soon?
As okami29 stated out, it’s most likely the missing x64 version of Widget.dll that prevents the plugin to be installed correctly.