GUIDE: Installing & Using 3DS Max Plugins:

If some of the models have too much lightning you could try different textures, sometimes it’s because of the Normal map texture, maybe try with the \system\normalizer.tex or the system\textures\flatnmlspc.tex I don’t remember.
Also maybe you should investigate , I think the Normal (or specular ?) texture use the transparent channel and it could make it appear way more bright ingame.

I also feel like it’s a problem with the texture channel, assuming I use the original game’s texture on my model, the color is normal. Once I put on the map corresponding to the new model, it will be very bright, and I don’t set the normal map to the concave and convex surface, it is also bright, I don’t know where to start…

我想如果你能发表一个试玩版,肯定会有高手能帮你解决问题。 :wink:

I think if you can publish a trial version, there will definitely be experts who can help you solve the problem.

For me what helps sometimes is copying the alpha map from the normal and adding it into a new, specular map. If it doesn’t have one - make one. Also there is a setting in the materials for 3dsmax that affects the reflectivity and reflective color, you can play with those too.

There are a lot of things that could potentially be causing your model to be too bright in-game. Without knowing your exact setup, I can only offer you some possible causes:

1. The most obvious one would be the diffuse is just too bright, but based on your comment here, it sounds like that is only a problem with the “new” model, suggesting another cause.

2. It’s possible the mesh normals are importing incorrectly, if the normals are for instance, pointing upwards instead of averaged, it can result in models looking brighter than they should. You can test this by applying an “Edit Normals” modifier to your mesh in max. If the modifier shows the normals in green, potentially at unexpected angles, then your normals have been modified. If that is the case, simply select all the normals and choose the “reset” button. Then collapse the modifier (move it below the skin modifier first, of course).

2B: Grim dawn also uses smoothing groups, typically a creature with baked normals will have just one smoothing group for all the faces, unless specifically baked with hard edges.

2C: if the model’s transforms were not zeroed out, this can also cause strange mesh normal issues. Check to make sure the model doesn’t have any rotations applied (anything non-0). If it does, you will need to reset the xform on the model. To do this with a skin modifier, you can usually turn off the skin modifier by clicking the eye on the modifier and also uncheck “always deform” under the “advanced parameters” tab. Then apply the reset xform and collapse below the skin. Turn your skin modifier back on by reversing the previous steps and you should be good.

2D: Depending on what program this model was authored in, the mesh normals used for baking the normal maps may differ from the mesh normals imported into GD. Hopefully this is not the case because if so, you might be out of luck unless you have access to the high res source files.

3: As some of the other commenters have mentioned, normal map issues can also cause brightness/darkness problems, but from the screenshot at least, I’m not seeing the usual signs. That being said, you can check a couple of things to make sure. First of all, in case you’re not aware, GD uses DX normal format (-Y). If the green shading is facing “up” you need to invert the green channel.

3B: spec/spec power issues. This has also been mentioned, but if your spec map is very hot (white) and your spec power is very low (1-3) you may see models blowing out, but usually it will result in hot spots on the model, which I’m not seeing here.

4: make sure your assets in the AM are set correctly (normal maps must be DTX5 (spec in alpha) and 8 bits per channel. If they are not, bad things happen.

5: Depending on what shader you’re using, you could be seeing some lighting issues from that. I assume you’re just using “StandardSkinned” but if it’s a specialty shader, perhaps there is something else going on there. Seems unlikely, just thought I’d add it in here.

I hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for answering questions, I think I know what to do, I’ll try to see

This is the new model used, the original texture, and it just looks normal. Is it a problem with the DDS format?

The texture corresponding to the new model is very white, but the properties screen looks normal

jianghong,

try comparing the diffuse of your new face to the existing female’s diffuse texture. It looks a bit lighter so what you’re experiencing could just be diffuse blowout.

It also shows normal here, and I changed the format several times and it all had the same effect

you can’t really trust the Viewer to give you accurate results though. In-game is DX11 and viewer is DX9, plus all sorts of lighting effects/bloom/etc. Your best bet is to compare the diffuse of one texture to another. It definitely looks like you have modified mesh normals as well, resetting those might help, but again, compare the diffuses to see if there’s a discrepancy.

This is the normal of the original model, with a lighter head face

Another reason is that the number of faces in my new model is too much, which will also lead to this

I tested the normals and it didn’t change anything, I adjusted the gloss of the texture and it worked.

1 Like