Hellhound - alternative "summon limit to Hellhound"

Let’s talk about increasing Hellhound summon limit.

At the moment this option is solely available with the full Lost Soul set, which has it’s focus on Skeletons. And being forced to use its scepter is very unexciting. At the same time other pets have dedicated sets.

Now I know that a full new set is not realistic at this point of development. But maybe that bonus could be added somewhere else. Veilpiercer would be an obvious choice. Or mix Veilpiercer with some other existing item and make it its set bonus. Or anywhere else that fits Hellhound.

I don’t mean to remove the bonus from Lost Soul. It would be nice however to have an alternative way to build multiple Hellhounds.

2 Likes

And can you get more Familiars or Briarthorns with more than one dedicated set each?

1 Like

maya touched kinda on this before i think, suggesting doggo straight up get a set of its own
and i’m not adverse to either, tho i obviously recognize the potential exploitative power advantage of getting +1 summon if it wasn’t on a mutually exclusive item slot
but year, lost souls is just… i don’t really like… it makes decent skele shenanigans “tough”, and while there isn’t the same power advantage of including a +1 summon on top of skeles, lost souls doesn’t really help doggo focus that much, specially since it takes the necklace slot… :confused:
i’m not a pet expert, so i’d have no “great” idea of proper balancing it out, but i do know that i want it, and not sure what maya’s solution was in the past suggestion, i did make a jest of putting it ex on medal slot i think it was :thinking:
-and in the end i wouldn’t even mind if we could get dual double summons either, tho that would be obviously too strong for zantai… i dono, i’d just like 2 kittens and couple of puppers :sweat_smile:

This is worth reading and keeping in mind regarding summon limit for pets:

To be specific, the one example of a summon limit increase’s power getting out of hand was that the +1 Familiar on Bysmiel’s Trinkets before Forgotten Gods was available on M. Will of Bysmiel and that in addition to other sets like Beastcaller or Diviner got abused hard by pet players.

I agree that Lost Souls doesn’t really fit the Hound either being a Vitality-based set whereas Hellhound strikes me as more Fire or Chaos. I’d love to see a Hound-specific set for said damage types but whether they are in a position to introduce new items for it is something I cannot say nor do I expect them to.

Current items like Dracarris, Chosen’s Visage, Solemn Ruby of Domination, Korvaak’s Burning-Blade etc. try to fill that hole but having a second permanent Hellhound would go a long way to making it look more enticing to play. Maybe it’s something that will have to be created via modded items.

Absolutely. Apart from the + skills the set does not bring much to Hellhound. Sure, with a build that focuses on Skeletons it’s a nice to have bonus. But there is nothing that would define a Hellhound build. It feels lost on that set.

I assume balance is why Crate did things the way they did. And as it was noticeable from my opening post I don’t have a definite solution as well.
On the other hand this is a single player ARPG at the end of its development life cycle. And “role play” is part of an ARPG.

To summarize. In my opinion it would be cool to have the choice to build a pet build around any of the pets available. And I think Hellhound currently is the exception to this.

1 Like

Aren’t Hellhounds in Lost Souls more of a thematic thing? Like, you know, skelletons are the sheep - or lost souls - player is the shepherd and he/she has shepherds to guide them?

Anyway, I wonder if transmuter similar to that one of Blight Fiend would somewhat solve the problem.

1 Like

You know, I never looked it at that like that. That’s actually clever. I always saw Lost Souls and the Skeletons as a Boatman of Styx type of situation which is similar but your interpretation makes the Hounds fit in to defend the “sheep”.

1 Like

Yeah, this set has religious stuff written all over it, and I’m really enjoying thematic items/sets, if it’s not just flavor text especially.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.