Help me build Harry the has-been, a washed up accident prone alcoholic with an attitude problem

I’d totally direct a movie of this. :joy:

1 Like

Definitely do not HC this guy. I want his story to keep going.

2 Likes

20200224170058_1

Harry the has-been. has. been. busy. Now, he is level 78 and though far far far from finished, is causing quite the ruckus in Cairn… After somehow managing to row an escape boat to the Malmouth shoreline, nearly drowning as the pleasure barge sank in the harbor, still half drunk, Harry looks about for anything to arm himself with…

“Nng I wush a ngblack lesion unss upon a THYME… He wont mind if I justakissheild n’arms, iss coatuv HAAAARMS… heheh HIC worthlesssack of shite, ees did? airs ehreese-in why ees did. Now now, eeeeeazy does it laddie… jess rolllllll im on ovah! LIKE A RIGHT SACK A DUNG!!”

“Ats bittAH! NOW! Weetch wonya blasted greens wannsa sit on me steel dingaling!!! COME N GET IT BASTARDS!!!”

"AUH FEH PEETES SEYKE!!! Why the bloody SEWAIRRRTS… Aw fokit…

OI CRIKEY!! SUNUVABETCH!!! WHAT THA BLAZES ARE THOSE UOGLEH BASTARRRDS!!! wHUPS! I dropped MAH DRINKEY AH SHITE IT LIT ON FIYAR!!!"

“These CURSE-ED CHAINS, whyd I LET AT HUKKER PUT THESE ON MEH!!! IM SEEIN MA OWN DA MEYEZ!!! iM GONNA DIE! ILL BE DID!!! AH, MAMMIE, Im sorry I nevah wint ta CHERTCH!!”

“wai-WAIT!!! IF I JESSSSSSSLEAN T’TH’ROIGHT A LI’L BET!!!”

As the smoke cleared, small coronas of static jumped across the dust and debris particles, seeming to hang in the still air after the impacts and explosion, snaking around Harrys unscathed physique…

“HEH! Looks loik oi still GOTIT!!! NOW T’HELL WITHYA SODS!!!”

“'AV A SIPPA THIS! GO ON, DRINK UP YE GODS DAMNED LUUSHES!!!”

“ALLA YA COWARDLY DOGS, COM’N SEE TH’FIREWORKS! GIVIN EM OUT FREE, OH YOU? YE WANT A TASTE!?!??!?! BAM! HOWS THIS!!!

“BAIR’N!!! BAIR’N YE SAVAGE CLEETCHA!!!”

“ohhh SHITE! ahm CATCH’N AFLAME!!! AHHH! RUN FER IT!!! ME HART CANNA TEHK ET!!!”

"NOW FER SOME FRESH AIR…

My god… What’va DUN TA ME TAVAIRN!!! ARGHHHH MA BLOODY DLENNKEN HOEL ESS BAIRN’D TA CENDARLS!!! YA BASTADS GONNA PAY FALLAT!!!"

5 Likes

Great screenshots! Don’t know if you’re the same but I love playing with zoomed camera. It really enhances the feeling of ‘being there’

2 Likes

I’m definitely the same. Especially for capturing shots, from close up you can really see a lot of shit that normally is missed

@Fretheo has inspired me to get back on the grinding horse… something about that sounds wrong… with his Spiky Snail Saboteur build here.

I cannot thank him enough.

I have to say Harry the has been is probably my favorite character of all time… God, the unparalleled levels of broken mechanics and whiff / one shot deaths on this guy are just so fun, and the thrill of battle has never been greater!

Real men dont care about immunities.

Real men throw their old arthitic bones into battle, with heart-rupturing courage in the face of certain death!

Harry the has been is a REAL man!

OH yeah, baby! Level 100? PFFF, WHO CARES, Harry doesnt even need to reach it (lol because he cant. he literally cant. he just dies constantly). I have never enjoyed such a shit character in my life.

1 Like

Well, at long last, Harry has reached level 94!

Still far from complete, lacking rep from factions and many aspects not optimized, however I have to say, For a build running these janky gear pieces… He’s actually holding up in Ultimate! Currently in act 3. Still remains the most heart-pounding, action packed build I have ever played. Very exciting gameplay!

4 Likes

Excellent! Cannot wait to hear more about the journey! I’ve still been slowing whittling away at Father Bull. Very slowly and very safely. :smiley:

Level 94? Did someone say Mythical Blood Orb of Ch’thon?

1 Like

Unfortunately, that item doesnt fit the flavor for this build. The shield not only fits the flavor, but also provides the thematically appropriate stat bonus of % chance to dodge. This is not a normal build so, most obvious picks will be irrelevant.

1 Like

Understood! At least you can now use the Mythical Chains of Anguish! Why did they even put that in? They must have smelled Harry coming.

1 Like

Didn’t read the whole post but, if you’re thematically able to change the miss gazer, https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/9247 this can bonus you nice deflect chance. And if I may ask, how do you kill? I mean monsters, I guess it takes a lot of time, I mean a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The purpose of this build is to use every piece of gear that i can find that has disadvantageous procs or effects, meaning effects that reduce my own stats and effectiveness.

That said, something that needs to be understood about this build is that you cant even try to compare it to standard builds in the meta, this is first and foremost a meme style build and an exceptionally janky one at that. The aim here will never involve Crucible or SR, so clear times are irrelevant, and with that understood, Harry actually kills surprisingly fast in the theater hes designed for (MC).

Trash mobs are trash mobs, and Harry melts through the majority of them which i count as a BIG win, considering what im stuck using. Some enemy heroes do take time to kill, but most arent too much trouble which is really surprising and again a huge win for me. Ive been really impressed with the fact that ive only died once so far in Ultimate, despite activating every shrine and totem ive come across. That feels like a milestone while wearing stupid Miss Gazerman, chains of anguish, and boots of unseen swiftness.

Trust me there are tons of better gear choices i could use on this guy that could improve him, even several better choices for dodge, but then id be losing gear thats crucial to his theme (disadvantageous procs/stats).

If you happen to know any other gear that debuffs the player, or is generally terrible for the player with stat decreases, id love to hear it.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad, i never anssered the question actually. He kills by using thermite mines, coating enemies in solaels component granted skill, tossing blackwater cocktails, all of which proc devotion abilities like eldritch fire, hungering void, etc. Trash typically disintegrates and im left bouncing around between heroes, which is really fast paced and exciting. It takes decent piloting to survive. Blast shields retal damage and ring of steel add some damage. Again this is a meme of memes, so it aint like clockwork, but it IS a thrilling experience!

2 Likes

Yeah im really glad for it! I havent gotten it yet, but as soon as i do you can bet your bottom dollar ill be using it.

I wish there was Mythical boots of unseeing swiftness, with increased dodge chance and increased debuff when hit proc on Interruption triggers. But alas, there is not.

Also wish theyd finally make Burrwitch Brew consumable able to be bound to the hotbar for easy use without requiring opening the inventory.

1 Like

This idea kinda goes away from what you’re building for, but hear me out.

The point is that Harry is a “has-been”. What if instead of equipping him with joke items, we simply put on a build that was broken in the past and is now nerfed/bad?

1 Like

Well, that was sort of originally the intention using Saboteur in the first place, a class combo with a history of being lackluster, and then it kinda grew into a full blown, lore driven experience.

The washed up old man feels dont translate as well, i noticed, without items that have debilitating effects for the player. These feels are intensified by visual cues prompted on proc of debuffs like Anguish and Interruption, or the staggering effect of Burrwitch Brew.

Then there is the rewarding feeling of surviving the thrill ride, going up against 6 or 7 enemy heroes simultaneously in ultimate when activating a totem… With Gazerman armor and Burrwitch Brew active;
-20% OA
-20% DA
-30% Armor

With all the debuffs triggering and Hungering Void draining your health, you have to be quick on your feet, and pray you dont happen to stagger in the center of all 7 enemy heroes!

Remember, first and foremost Harry is a booze hound. The gear kind of supports this notion. I understand what youre saying, and id love to see a build like you described, but Harry is built for this very strange and very specific design goal- to simultaneously use every gear piece that debuffs the player or has disadvantageous procs.

Other versions of Harry could certainly be made using other class combos, for instance ones that used to rule the meta but have since fallen off the map, like you suggested. But running all these counter-intuitive gear pieces at the same time is the point of the build, so theyd need to use them as well. Bonus points for utilizing them on the least effective class combo possible.

1 Like

I knew there was something I was missing. I think you’ll like this one though I don’t know if you will necessarily switch.

One of the blue items you’ll get when leveling up is Berserker’s Cowl. When you use Berserk, you gain a crit damage and attack+cast speed buff, but it shreds your resistances while the buff is up. And lookie here, there’s a Mythical version. Bonus points for having next to nothing useful to offer your sword and board caster Saboteur.

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/14148

4 Likes

LOL yes! Perfect!!! I feel like there are others I must be missing as well, but this is exactly the kind of thing im looking for! Thank you!

Oh wow, yeah -10% phys res, god that is beautiful! HARRY SLIPS INTO A DRUNKEN FURY!

4 Likes

He only had 5% phys res to begin with. You wanted thrills and spills, there you go!

1 Like

Bloody Pox with Fevered Rage transmuter might be cool in the Harry’s hands lol