Help me build Reverend Reynolds, living symbol of the Duality of Man

Hey man, if you want me to jump on board, I can run with this and see how it fares and what I come up with. I can post updates and stuff here so we can theorycraft and troubleshoot. Not to steal any thunder so if you’d rather try out both yourself feel free but if you want a partner along for the ride, let me know.

1 Like

This is actually a nifty idea. ‘Hurts so good’ Build. :smiley:

2 Likes

My perception is Empyrion vs Chthon and Koorvak vs Yugol, only after the fight between Chthon and Empyrion did Empyrion explode and vanish and showing the whole celestial like Koorvak the presence of Yugol. Wasn’t the whole Morgoneth things is about a priest of Koorvak that fallen to Yugol influences?

Now for character building if you pick Empyrion and Chthon it will be Fire/Vitality damage, Defiler (Demo+Necro) got that synergy through item set like Blightlord support that

Something like this: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQk84nV

1 Like

Please guys feel free to play with these ideas as you wish, I dont care about thunder lol. I just enjoy the dialogue and the brewing process so absolutely @CaiusMartius go forth and bring us your findings!

I’m finally home been dying to play all day and now my laptop is failing to detect any network/internet connections. Steam is not even starting! Not even in offline mode. I’m pretty bummed out man!!!

I shut the laptop down, going to see if the ol’ cure-all “magic restart” fixes the issue…

No dice :frowning:

All right, challenge accepted.

Father Jacobius “Bull” Mahone is born.

I’ll have more ‘lore’ related stuff soon but in the meantime, here are the self-imposed ‘rules’ as it were:
Only self-found or crafted stuff. No pulling from my Item Assistant Stash.

• Must use an off-hand, it seems appropriate for a priest.
  • STORY RELATED: I will not be taking quests from either Kymon’s Chosen or The Order of Death’s Vigil. Father Mahone is an outcast from both. An enigma. An ‘apostate’ as it were. Wish there was a game way I could actually farm both as enemies. :smiley:
  • Must use both Korvaak, the Eldritch Sun and Rattosh, the Veilwarden devotions.

I do have an endgame build in mind

Other rules may follow but these are the initial guidelines.

Once I’m into Act One I’ll share some ‘lore’ stories.

3 Likes

I’m already pumped for this!

2 Likes

his beard’s gonna deal a lot of physical, internal trauma, and aether damage,

“lo and behold! tremble in trauma before my aether infused beard!”

3 Likes

Ok, I am also in.
Starting Apostate Father Bull Mahone as per posted rules.

What about adding a rule “NO NECROMANCER OR EQUIPMENT PETS”, after all he is an OUTCAST and total RECLUSE?

I gather we are doing HC?
I will just have to be super cautious as my hardcore experience usually ends with something stupid despite trying to play defensive and safe. :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Bull Mahone has started his HC journey.

It will be interesting to see which combo paths different players take in this challenge?

This is also a very cool concept as the character is SOOO CONFLICTED and he could go in ANY direction at ANY given time and the builds could become crazy, but that is the idea as this is not supposed to be an end game or SR/Crucible buster - Instead it is all about fun and the lore immersion into the actual GD world.

Does he start as a self righteous Inquisitor, or does he immediately delve into the dark Necromancer arts?

I think this thread will also serve as a useful guide to new players to demonstrate that you you do not need to get to GOD status, smash level 100, cheat, or be invincible in a few hours to enjoy this game.
Each character can be a special personal experience and journey.

Here is my level 16 build so far (Mahone started as a righteous person)
Nothing special, all self found or purchased and is surviving quite nicely.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkProB2

Lets see other starter and progress builds on this thread as I find the the FINAL builds in Grim Tools are great, but they do not actually show how the character progressed to get there in the first place as you do not start out with that configuration and level.

Not sure how to get that BEARD illusion for him though, maybe the Wizard Hat need a Gandalf variation .:grinning:

2 Likes

Nice!

Bull is actually an old Call of Cthulhu character I had back in the day. The game ran for almost two years but the really funny thing was Bull was the only original character to survive the entire campaign. The other three players had all lost at least one other character. By the end of it he was nutty as a squirrel’s treasure and he bordered on fully committable. In the very last adventure we all of the other characters realized Bull was so fanatical about his pursuit of knowledge and destroying the Great Old Ones that anyone near him was doomed. It was pretty epic.

I thought given the circumstances of an Apostate torn between both Korvaak and Rattosh would make for an interesting Grim Dawn journey.

RULE ADDITION: I’m not starting out as either just a necro or inquistor. My first 18 levels I just added 27 points to mastery bars for Inquistor than Necromancer. After that I’ve started adding skills with the rule that if I add points to one mastery I must add an equal amount to the other mastery.

2 Likes

Nothing beats Lovecraft in creating atmospheres of horror and twists that can drive a normal mind into chaos or insanity.

Maybe insanity was the only only thing that enabled Bull to survive when all other logic had failed!

We have all been there sometime :slight_smile:

Thought “Call of Cthulhu” was a console game, but I see now there is a PC version on steam - Gonna download and have a look - Thanks

2 Likes

This is an awesome rule addition! I’m really hoping my laptop runs the game today! Going to fire it up here in a bit.

Keep posting guys Im loving where this is going and seeing what you guys come up with!!! As always I love this community man, the appreciation for all the creative freedom this game offers is so refreshing to see in healthy abundance on the forums despite so much focus on end game builds. We must never let this die!

1 Like

Lol Aether infused beard, god, if only… if they’re really making another Loyalist pack, I’d love to see that in it.

1 Like

Actually, I’m not really a big video gamer. I’ve only ever played D1, D3 and Grim Dawn. I was talking about table top RPGs. :smiley: Been playing those since the late 70s.

1 Like

From the history archives of Father Jacobius “Bull” Mahone.

An early snapshot of a clean shaven, clear headed and driven Father Bull.
This was taken long before he became the conflicted and fanatical outcast that he is now notorious for.

It was during this period that he was faced with a difficult choice between the two faiths of Cairn.

After consulting with both, he decided that NEITHER were the true faith and he rejected and dismissed both as heresy.

He decided that his own faith was the only true and real path.

He knew now that he would forever be an outcast and will be considered an Apostate amongst these faiths.

This did not deter his determination, in fact — it FUELED it! and his journey into his madness of “Good or Evil” or “Evil or Good” split personality began.

My build so far on this challenge at level 37 (still at veteran level)
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/p25lzwKN
nothing fantastic, but surviving and killing well and enjoying the progress.

@CaiusMartius - Looking forward to the lore notes you have in mind for this character. I have just added these as a start to the legend of Father Bull for my own definition and starting point, but will honor and adhere to your vision of this character when you start posting.

We still need a BEARD illusion for the head :bearded_person:

3 Likes

That’s an awesome picture close-up with black background! How did you do that?

You run with it, sir! I’m actually in the mid 60s for level right now still in Normal, just about to tackle Korvaak. I’m just enjoying the heck out of it and what not. I’ve taken a number of screen shots to do some lore notes I’m just to lazy to get to them yet, plus having fun. I need to stop, drop and roll and put something up here though. :smiley:

Here’s one of ol’ Bull taking a moment as he visits the grave of his wife, Siobhan. It was a tragic tale some forty years in the past, but his travels had taken him far and he’d nearly forgotten how to find it. But there it was. Even in the dark days of the grim dawn and with the influence of those infernal cultists and aetherials all around she still held on and he could still feel her presence. More sad, in that same fire that destroyed their hard fought home, they lost their newborn babe, Iona and the fire had burned so hot by the time it was out there was naught left of her to bury with her mother.

And somewhere down the road, we’ll come back to this particular part of the tale with a surprise reunion.

3 Likes

Got the tip from @tqFan in the “Fashion Dawn” thread.
Really works well.

Jan 25

Willnoword:

That would be a great fight :smile:. Thank you for appreciation. I like those fiery shoulders, they fit nicely with Inquisitor theme. By the way, what program or add-on did you use for screenshots?

No add-on or program:

• increased resolution to FullHD (normally I have lower for FPS)
  • increased UI Scale so the character is biggen on the screen
  • went to Illusionist
  • made multiple screenshots
  • joined them and blackened the arrows in Paint (I’ve just erased the arrows for the second time but in a nicer way so that there are no visible stains, 1st version is in the post above)

xOMOCHIx:

:snowflake:

Imma use that symbol. And also the :damage_cold:. And :cold_face:.

1 Like

Father Bull’s memories …

The last time he saw his wife Siobhan and baby Iona was in their wrecked house in Burrwitch Village shortly after the first wave of Aetherial attacks. He asked her to stay safe here with their baby Iona while he joins the fight against this insidious foe.

• THE VANISHINGS *

As he was leaving their damaged household he was totally unaware of the start of a silent Aetherial attack that occurred on his family just behind him.

He was later told that his house was burned to the ground by the Aetherials together with his wife and child.

Images from a seer in far off Korvan later proposed a rather different outcome in that not all of his family died in that fire storm of Burrwitch, but something else happened that the seer could not grasp as the Aether power blurred his vision.

Partial visages form the seer …
Siobhan had already been levitated and vanished by some strange spell.
Two Aetherials manifested themselves close to the crib containing baby Iona

The fate of Siobhan and Iona are actually unknown given the presence of these strange Aetherials just before the house was raised to the ground by the fire storm.

The first sad visit to his family’s grave. Bull was not happy with this local unhappy location and vowed to move them to a more remote and safe site that only he knew where to find it.

3 Likes