Help regarding New/Importing Animated Models

Hello community,

TLDR: can we import animated models to Grim Dawn?

I’m a modder from Torchlight 2. I made many mods where I imported models from other games into Torchlight 2. The game provides you with all the tools that the creators/devs were using to make the game, so it’s very friendly, accessible and the possibilities are endless (even though there’re things hard-coded).

In Grim Dawn we got very similar tools, even the 3DS Max plugins. But I haven’t seen mods with new monsters/animations. I know it’s possible to import new weapons/items (static meshes) but my question is…

Can we import animated meshes (like a new monster with animations) in the game?

I’m not lazy, I was and I am reading a lot of tutorials how to import but I couldn’t see anything related to animated meshes. Let’s say import a monster from World of Warcraft to Grim Dawn, with all the animations, etc.

If there is an example… is it possible. I have knowledge of 3d modeling and converting files, etc. I just need a hint to keep going or just forget about it.

Thank you for helping and guide me in the right direction.

Perhaps these threads may offer some insights…

Note: I am no animator but I remember these threads. Not sure if they help any or might later down the road but I’m sure there are others that may wander in here to give you advice. Both these threads feature one of the devs actually assisting the modder with advice on how to get certain things done.

Also…

RoT…

…features “new” monsters and such.

@powbam Thanks! This is what I was looking for.

So there is an example and it’s possible to do. As you pointed me RoT mod has models from Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard game. I was watching videos and they put Mephisto and Diablo models/animations from HotS. Great example!

I will go deeply to try the tools and when I can do more tutorials how to… Seems difficult! but no impossible. Again, thanks…

1 Like