Help with ironing out kinks in Firewave Commando

Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out why i am having a hard time farming even challenger crucible with this build. On paper it looks ok as far as OA and DA, resists are fine, damage is good. What can i do to squeeze out more defense so i’m not dying regularly on waves 169, or 170?

Grimmtools link: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NK7omxN

Thanks in advance

Don’t Kink-shame the Commando :pouting_woman:

Well if the commando didn’t drop dead at the sight of 4 nemesis so regularly i wouldn’t have anything to shame it about!

1 Like

Commando is pretty good depending on the build. To me it’s one of the best. I have a commando canister build with Ulzuins set and I can tank Nemesis bosses and kite them when I need to. I had done crucible many times on gladiator 160-170 with it with and without using tributes. I constantly solo farm SR 75-76 consistently with it by kiting all 4 bosses without dying. All I can say is maybe you can try to rework your devotions a bit to get defensive stats like eel and tree of life and replace your rings with the Justice set rings to help with a bit of defense/life etc… You might lose dps but sometimes it might help.

you have low physical res. one ring is missing augment, slow res is bad

crucible you need to use blessings

diamond + blast shield can be overkill

here are some changes that I did https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0B0DaN

Didn’t realize i never put an augment on when i switched out that ring. Haha. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll try some of your changes and see how it helps. I am curious what the purpose of the devotion changes are. We swap out 10 or so reduced res and some damage from elemental storm proc to pick up Raise the Dead, and finish kraken for some health and cast speed that allows us to switch some points from vindictive flame (and stayed capped on cast speed), to thermite mine. But in the end we have less resist reduction. Or am i missing something?

Thanks again for the ideas. Will try boosting Physical res and slow res. That epic ring suggestion was good, still hold on to some skill disrupt resist while swapping in better pants.

Edit: Regarding the switch to raise undead from elemental storm, i guess in the end we only end up 1 res reduction lost, but the proc does damage too… still seems odd to me.

That reduced resistance reduction mechanics on Viper is not that effective, plus you get that mechanic with the ring Eternal Band which also give you skill disruption which allows you to change pants.

Remember that you can get slowed, and have mutators in crucible, so having some overcapped casting speed will make you maintain good speed even with debuffs on you.

But the one from viper and the one from elemental storm are mutually exclusive. viper is still there, we lost elemental storm. plus the res reduction on the ring is a fair bit less than either viper or raise undead/elemental storm

Ok. over capping cast speed makes sense. that would be helpful.Either way the ring is a better choice than the one i was using.

“x% reduced” is not that effective.

If you are relying on damage from Elemental storm then its something wrong with the build :stuck_out_tongue:

Completion of revenant is needed to get that devotion tree

you should invest more into mines, since they will change with the next patch.

I got you. I see the reasoning now, just wasn’t understanding the purpose of the changes at first. Thanks for explaining.

Hey, I did something from a guy from our discord recently, maybe you can use it. Maybe change jewellery augments to Arcanum Dust (or two).

Interesting. My end goal was to use the Mythical light’s oath for converting pierce to fire. I also thought about including cinderplate but was concerned that the OA, and DA loss was too much. Your build overall has much lower OA, and DA, do you find that is an issue? Also, is 7% life leech enough? I’m struggling to stay standing with like double that. it performs well in crucible? Main game is a moot point as even my current rendition face rolls everything in it. I also love that you managed to squeeze phoenix in there… I’m a huge sucker for anything with damage absorption. Maybe i’m just a very poor pilot so it lets me tank more? hahaha.

Thanks again for the input.

Edit: One more question - Is the dps boost from enchanted flint better than more resists from seal of blades/might?

Tbh, that spec was barely tested and it probably needs some tweaking. I might test it myself after the patch. It’s a draft, you can try it out yourself and maybe tweak something here and there.

Sounds good. I’ve gotten quite a few good ideas between the two of you. Thanks much.

Well let me know how it goes, I am gonna level up a new Commando soon xD

This is what i’m using now, based on suggestions from a couple of you. The Invokers shocking touch is just a stand in with the Res i need, cast speed, and a little % dmg increase, until i can find either Mythical light’s oath, or a Mythical Eternal band. Still need a Mythical Sigil of the Bear King, but that really only adds another 15% crit damage to forcewave.

Even with 22% physical resists (up from 13%), almost capped slow res (caps when Harp Proc goes off), and higher over cap on all resists, I still get destroyed trying to finish the last wave of crucible… On challenger!! What else can i do at this point? Maybe i should swap Diamond out for Leather Hide to get my stun Res back up? But it really feels like a damage mitigation/recovery issue. I just get over ran with the 4 nemesis almost every time, regardless of who it spawns. Seems absurd that i can’t finish challenger crucible even with almost all BiS gear.

Grimtools: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/1NXWQ03Z

Very similar to my own from pre-FG. Except I used Candle for Lotus and Jackal for two nodes in Kraken. And he still had Elemental Balance rings last time I checked, and Korvaak relic for double Blitz, lol. Non-myth Blood Sigil is worth considering over the auto-pick Bear King. That Iron Maiden is a pain.

Forgefire got the no-energy nerf which sucks a lot for this build.

Loving the Cinderplate Girdle (I used it, too) and the perfect fit Light’s Oath.

Agree with that, gotta be tested (medal). Forgefire is just because it’s an older grimtools link, Arcanum Dust all the way.

you guys both thing Cinderplate + Light’s Oath is the way to go? Definitely would be a big dps boost with rending force nearly maxed. I thought i remembered korvaaks deception having a second blitz ability… took a hiatus and now it is just a crappy single target skill.

Why is blood sigil worth using? just for more flat fire? As for my build dps seems plenty, i just die too easy still, despite several defensive layers.

to kill pesky humans faster