Help with sorcerer build

Hey guys, since mortars got yet another nerf with Pyran set being severely nerfed this patch, I decided to respec my sorcerer into something else. The problem is I have no idea what sorcerer skills are strong right now, I know canister bomb was pretty good until recently but got some nerfs too, is it still a good skill to build around or should I look about maxing something else? BWC maybe?

My current idea is to take ya1’s [1.1.6.2] MEGASORC - BwC+Canister+Mortars Super Duper Tanky Sorcerer (c5:30 average) (sr80 no aggro abuse) (which uses all 3 of mortar+BWC+Canister, and yes, I know that build received several nerfs since 1.1.6) as template and work from there, but any help would be apreciated.

For Mortars lightning version is very good. Chaos is good as well Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
If you want to continue as a fire caster i think Ulzuin set is a great option.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and the sample build, but I think I’ll move away from mortar traps completely, at least until no more patches are coming, since Crate is constantly nerfing that skill. Since Ulzuin is a canister bomb set I assume canister bomb is still alive and well, right?

I wanted to max blackwater cocktail too, and this is what I came up with, with items I currently have or can craft, any suggestions to improve it are welcome. I have a ton of Salthsarr crests from farming Gargabol’s gun, so changing those affixes for resistances or whatever would be no problem.

That build should still be functional but I don’t think half-assed Canister is worth taking with Infernal Knight. I’d probably drop Canister and go with oathkeeper for BwC + Judgment + Mortars. If to stay with sorc, I would probably drop Canister and go all in on Mortars, see if Big One is viable. BwC on Infernal Knight is sweet but you need single target dmg with that so either stick with those Mortars or maybe try AAR.

Also, taking two Blazeseer rings just for 60% Scales… it doesn’t sound as fresh as it did back then.

Items look pretty good. Personally i’d look to replace Hellforged Legplates since spirit-investment scale so well for arcanists. Arcane Harmony legs and Runeplates of Ignaffar are good options.

You are lacking a lot of casting speed for your heavy rotation. Use amulet and glove component for CS at the bare minimum, maybe look for more in devotions.

Regarding devotions, not going for Kraken on a 2h build could almost be seen as a criminal offence, it brings a lot of stats! I don’t think the proc from Ishtak scales well with Maiven’s Sphere and my guess is picking up the Damage Reduction from Light of Empyrion would improve survivability more. Ghoul is always an MVP for me and I suggest picking it up, should be great for a build with high CDR.
And of course theres the option to go more regular Fire devos with Torch, Magi, Phoenix.

Sorry for the nitpicking :smiley: i’ll leave you with a build from @Dmt you can use as inspiration

1 Like

That build has super low armor absorb and DA, also low freeze resist, I know my devotions are kinda “strange” but believe me, if I went in with full fire damage devotions I would be dying a lot. That build may work in the hands of more skilled players but not in mine lol.

This is the setup I finally decided on, and works good so far, did 1 SR80 run and a few 75-76 ones and it was a breeze, though Shar’Zul with elemental resist mutator was slooooow :rofl:

Thanks for the help :+1:

The dead can’t kill u

Yeah, the problem is with that build, I’d be the one dead. As I said, it’s a build for better players than me :sweat_smile: