Help with Spellbinder build!

First off, I am a noob.
Second off, this build is probably not the best class combination for my goal, but it seemed fun.
Third off, I do not have Forgotten Gods

Now, on to the good stuff.
gt link https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk6OPqZ

This is my first character into ultimate so I don’t have many mythical items.

The idea was to create a character with massive damage absorption, and a ton of basic attack leech. The primary method of accomplishing this was with maiven’s and mark of torment with Vitality based attacks. It has several sources of RR and BH can both oneshot packs and heal to full health 100% of the time. It has a ton of leech from various sources.

The problem. I seem to be getting instagibbed by Higher level targets. My guess is low DA leads to constant crits against me. Also my leech will randomly stop during boss fights. Again, probably from low OA. I tried the OA buff from the arcanist tree but it did not seem to make a difference so I respecced that into ravenous earth. It helped for a bit, but is still getting overwhelmed.

I am not sure how to get more DA and OA without losing resists using components, and my legendaries are the best that I have at the moment. I think an end game build might include the full Blood Knight set, but that still doesn’t help a ton.

Any ideas to make it viable? Currently I can make it to wave 20-30 in crucible on the highest difficulty to give you some idea.

edit: 33% ADCTH without temp or proc buffs.

1 Like

Hi distressedfish

Welcome to the forum. If I may be so bold…you seem like a fish out of water

(Buh dum tss)

I see that you’ve given the build a lot of thought, and that’s great! But it also seems to me that you’re going down the wrong train of thought.

The reason why you’re struggling is because you’ve chosen a damage type incompatible with the spellbinder (i.e. vitality).

My recommendation is for you to switch to aether.

You’re in luck too because the krieg set is perfect for the binder, and it’s very easily farmed (though the process may be a little tedious).

If you scroll down, you’ll see which monsters drop each piece of the aforementioned set. You simply need to farm them over and over again till you get all the pieces required. (aka it’s a target farmable set).

Happy hunting!

Some basics of binderology:

1. There’s only aether.
  2. Active defense is how you survive. Mirror of Ereoctes (12/12 always), then Mark of Torment (6/10 or more), then Time Dilation from Aeon devotion, then try to survive for a few seconds without, then repeat.
  3. Gear dependence is heavy on binders. Till you get Clairvoyaint set or Agrivix set (I’m not so crazy about Krieg) you’ll have hard time farming endgame. I suggest this guide: [1.1.4.0] Krieg CT Spellbinder Gladiator capable or maybe you can find some links in this guide of mine: [1.0.7.1] Ultimate Guide to AGRIVIX (most of info there is outdated though due to many nerfs and changes)
  4. A bit self promotion never hurt anyone: [1.1.2.4] AARMAGEDDON: Spellbinder (Crucible 5:21)

I can see how aether would be strictly better, but I dont really want to turn this build into a caster. If I try to stay as an AA focused character (admittedly not the best build ever) could something like this work? https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2E43l7N

On a different note, could you please elaborate on why spellbinder cannot do vitality? I see alot of things that deal flat vitality damage able to be scaled, and the weapon deals no physical damage? I can understand why going main arcanist with some necro support would be strictly better, but not why necro main with arcanist support support is not even possible. Please forgive my ignorance, but I want to learn.

Because vitality is dependent on high resistance reduction, and Arcanist has no resistance reduction whatsoever. Furthermore, arcanist has nothing to do with vitality. Just about any other mastery would be better.

Well… “work” is a relative word. You might be able to clear main game but that’s it. If you want a spellbinder melee then Krieg, Heart of Theodin Marcell, Windwarp, Korvaak Brand, Agrivix Malice, etc. It’s aether. And it’s still weak af. Spellbinder is an aether caster mastery and everything else is gonna suck big time.

If you insist on vitality then Dying God is a must have.

More than just RR, the arcansit class offers no bonuses to vitality in terms of flat damage, and %damage as well.

And if you want an AA build, you gotta farm theodin marcell for his M.I weapon and pair it with kreig set.

Sure, but at that stage you’re just better off going for an oppressor, and using righteous fervor.

Or going with a ritualist with the faction-purchasable bloodrender and using savagery

Cool, thanks for the advice! Was very helpful! :slight_smile: