[1.0.7.1] Ultimate Guide to AGRIVIX

INTRO

One of the most common questions asked by beginners in this wonderful game: “What is the BEST build in the game?” The answer, of course, depends on the definition of ‘best.’ But one concept that ALWAYS hits top 3 in anyone’s ranking is AGRIVIX.

This guide is meant for beginning players who might feel confused by number of builds posted in these forums and look only for the best options to farm Gladiator Crucible. It will include a detailed explanation of the concept, some history, preview of the Agrivix achievements in the community, strategies, gear description, possible tweaks and other things. I hope it will serve all beginners who want to learn about this top-tier build but might feel somewhat intimidated, whenever it is discussed, by the jargon of the more experienced players.

Disclaimer and Credits: I do not claim authorship of anything in this guide unless I specify otherwise. There have been 2 guides published in these forums that touch on the concept: x1’s No Devastation CT SpamBinder and feelgodstoya’s Manly Beefly Melee Caster. Both these builds, however, focus on Calidor Tempest by using Maw of Despair. Although such setups and their pros and cons will be included here, this guide will focus more on Outcast Secret setups which have been proven to be vastly superior. As far as I know, no guide has ever been posted covering Argivix+Anasteria in detail. This concept has been known in the community for a long time and afaik nobody ever claimed it (nor do I intend to do so with this guide). As for credits, I first heard of it from Mad_Lee, long long ago.

SPELLBINDERS

Although the Rage of Agrivix set was also designed with Sorcerers (Arcanist + Demolitionist) in mind, it is primarily a Spellbinder (Arcanist + Necromancer) concept. Spellbinders as a class used to be unrivaled before 1.0.7.0 by combining near-immortality with one of the highest damage outputs in the game. 1.0.7.0 and 1.0.7.1 brought about the end of their uncontested reign by nerfing cooldown reduction (CDR) which had been abused to give binders immortality - so called Mirror-MoT-TD chaining. The most powerful Spellbinder known as ‘Classic Clairvoyant’ (the first version created by Ptirodaktil back in 1.0.2.1) - using nukes (high damage skills with cooldown) and damage absorption spells on very high CDR - ceased to exist. His younger brother Agrivix, however, survived and evolved into currently the fastest non-pet build in the game.

CONCEPT

Agrivix is commonly referred to as a ‘spam caster’ as it’s main damaging skill - Calidor Tempest - is a spell with no cooldown. The speed of spamming depends on cast speed. Other spam skills include Arcanist’s Panetti’s Replicating Missile, Soldier’s Forcewave, Nightblade’s Phantasmal Blades and many others. CT is not the most powerful spam in the game but it’s advantages include:

• good range and 360 degree angle,
  • relatively high % weapon damage allowing for stacking flat damage and ADCTH (Attack Damage Converted To Health),
  • fast default cast speed (with 200% cast speed it’s seems to be 3-4 casts per second)

The true power of the build, however, is not the main skill alone - which has rather low damage output - but the synergy between it and some of the other powerful aspects of the game:

[ul]
[li]ADCTH in long range 360 degree AoE (Area of Effect) [/li]
[li]Easy fire to aether conversion which doubles the damage output of the two Arcanist spells: CT and Devastation[/li]
[li]Cooldown reduction that empowers Spellbinder’s damage absorption spells (Mirror of Ereoctes and Mark of Torment) as well as Devastation[/ul][/li]
Agrivix is one of those builds that feel safer the more they are surrounded. CT hits everyone around and converts damage from every hit into health. Combining this with a very good damage potential of Devastation, imo the most powerful devotion route - red/blue, circuit breakers and oh shit buttons, somewhat nerfed but still rocking damage reduction from Ravenous Earth, we have a build that in good hands cannot die and at the same time kills everything at record speeds.

Most Agrivix setups still utilize what is left of the infamous Mirror-MoT chaining as the base of their defense. It used to work like this: charge into the fray -> feel like trouble -> press Mirror of Ereoctes -> relax for 3 seconds and look for a target for Mark of Torment -> cast it -> immediately cast the spell bound to Time Dilation devotion (Aeon’s Hourglass) which in the past would reset both Mirror and MoT cooldown allowing to cast them again right after MoT is down. Effectively it would provide long periods of immortality. These days there are big holes in the chaincast but it still can be used to some minor extent and fueled a little more by using Eternity relic instead of the default Agrivix Malice.

CORE GEAR

Here is a grimtools linkto a very balanced setup of CT Agrivix. It is very neutral and can both farm Crucible 3 times with 3 blessing and vanguard banner at close to 100% consistency and be played in main game without persistent energy issues. It isn’t the best setup nor is it the one I usually play but I want to use it as reference for core gear:

The Rage of Agrivix set (chest, shoulders, book and amulet). This is one of the best sets in the game as it leaves both the weapon and the helmet slots open and therefore allows for flexible gearing. As set completion bonus it provides a dependable source of flat resistance reduction (flat RR or ‘reduced’ RR) at a respectable level of ‘24 reduced.’ This frees the build from having to use Manticore devotion or the underpowered Sacred Strike component. The set is obviously the core of the build and completing it is mandatory for any respectable performance. (There is one concept that does not do it, however. Read later on.)
Stats to look for:
-fire to aether conversion on the amulet (above 30% is ok, max is 36%)
-cooldown reduction on the book (look for max 19%)
-+%aether
-depending on the setup also vitality to aether conversion on the chest and pierce resistance on the shoulders

Mythical Cord of Violent Decay. Core item. This belt is used by 95% aether builds, even those that achieve 100% elemental to aether by other means. Good +%aether, good resistances and the mandatory for a belt +1 to skills all make it so. But here it is used primarily for the conversion so look for one with as close to max 60% as possible.

Mythical Wraithborne Legwraps. Just like Violent Decay, these pants are used by just about any binder.
Stats to look for:
-+%offensive ability (aim at max at 7%)
-+bleed resistance (the more the better with max at 42% - this res isn’t the most crucial but it’s hard to softcap)
-+%aether (90-ish% is good, max at 104%)[/LIST]

Mythical Mark of Anathema. BiS medal for Calidor Tempest. Flat to CT and good extra oa shred to Siphon Souls make it so. Plus it’s craftable.
Stats to look for:
-flat damage (grimtools says max is 17-24 but and I’ve crafted tons of it - and GD Stashed megatons - and never seen such a roll; get as close to 16-23 as possible)
-+%armor (this is a craftable item so always craft it - and everything else - at Angrim’s to get 3%/7% armor)
-+%aether (over 105% is good, max at 128%)[/LIST]

Mythical Wrath of the Ascendant. This is by the best weapon for CT spam. It provides a good +%aether, loads cast speed that gives much freedom with skill and component selection, very important racial damage against humans (read: against Archmage Aleksander), +1 to all skills and some health which is always welcome by non-shaman builds. It’s proc also looks great at the first sight but in fact is quite lacking due to long cooldown and single target. (There is a setup that might or might not prefer Decree of Aldrich - more about it later on)
Stats to look for:
-+%aether (anything above 300% is great with max at 348%)
-other stats are constant or good even at lowroll[/LIST]

Argivix Malice This relic is BiS due to the very powerful proc and racial damage to Aetherials. (Some setups might choose Eternity though)

Mythical Albrecht’s Duality. Although rings are flexible on Agrivix, 95% setups use at least one Albrecht. It’s all about chaos to aether conversion very useful for Agrivix relic proc and Flame Torrent proc on Fiend devotion.
Stats to look for:
-chaos to aether conversion (if using just one then aim at the max of 60%)
-flat oa (over 100 is good, max 120)
-+%aether (values similar to Agrivix amulet)[/LIST]

NON-CORE GEAR

The following slots are usually occupied by non-core items: helmet, gloves and boots and the second ring:

Helmet.

As in the gt link above, the most powerful Agrivix builds use Outcast Secret a.k.a. Anasteria helmet. It has both high %CDR and flat CDR to Devastation and it’s proc is good DPS. Skill bonuses are good. Dmg and health is there. Perfect helmet. The only problem is that this is so called purple MI and as such is quite difficult to get. Here’s a quick guide:

• stack up on Outcast faction’s augments on Veteran or Elite - you won’t be getting them with this toon unless through GD Stash
  • on Ultimate choose to follow Sgt. Reeve and fight Anasteria
  • farm infamy with Outcast by killing all heroes on the way to Anasteria, don’t waste time on trash
  • once you reach Nemesis reputation, just avoid fighting and push though to Anasteria, Wrath of the Aether
  • kill her about 50-400 times
  • hope for a drop with: 7%cdr, high health and +%aether

Another option for the build is Mythical Maw of Despair. It empowers CT with extra flat and ADCTH at the steep cost of less Devastation. It is a somewhat safer option, good for learning to pilot binders. More about it later.

Gloves.

The blue, craftable Mythical Soul’s Touch is the most versatile option as it provides the build with massive energy leech. It also has good flat damage, very good OA as well as gives 4 extra skill points to move around.

The best option for Crucible is Krieg’s Grip. It has slightly better flat than Soul’s Touch as well as some physical resistance. What’s more, once paired with Krieg’s Boots, it gives extra 120%aether.

Mythical Aethereach is the least viable option used only in the very unlikely event of not being able to cap cast speed.

Boots.

Krieg’s Boots are best when paired with Krieg’s Grip.

Mythical Wraithwalkers is an alternative for extra flat damage and some health and oa through 2 ranks in Spectral Binding.

Mythical Stormtitan Treads is the safest route due to stun res and massive health.

For green enthusiasts, good Stoneplate Grieves are always good with Survivalist’s/Cleric’s of Kings/Featherstep being BiS, in my opinion.

Second ring.

The most common one is Mythical Band of the Eternal Haunt. It is craftable so has potential to provide extra armor. It has DA and relevant skill bonuses. The RR proc is very good as it spreads similarly to Aether Corruption but its cooldown is very long.

An alternative is Mythical Screams of the Aether. It boosts Devastation and provides extra flat through Fabric of Reality as well as massive extra racial damage to Aetherials. I’ve been testing this one quite a lot and it’s just about as strong as the Haunt, less consistent as it only provides speed improvements in runs dominated by Alex and Valdaran, and defensively inferior.

The offensively strongest in my opinion option is a second Mythical Albrecht’s Duality which besides boosting Agrivix Malice’s proc, Flame Torrent and Fabric of Reality’s flat damage, opens way for ultra offensive setups with Eye of the Guardian.

SKILLS and leveling

Distribution of skills for endgame, just like non-core gear, varies depending on what you want to achieve with the build. The following advice is but my personal recommendation.

These are the skills that should be maxed (put as many points as possible) in all setups: CT, Reckless Power, Devastation, Fabric of Reality, Spectral Binding, Spectral Wrath.

These are skills that should be maxed or kept close to the max for best defense: Maiven’s Sphere of Protection, Decay (minimum at 8/12), Mark of Torment (minimum at 6/10). Inner Focus should be kept close to the max at an even value (14, 16 or 18). Elemental Balance should be softcapped (12/12).

These are one-pointer skills: Arcane Will, Ravenous Earth, Inferno. Mental Alacrity is usually a one-pointer but in some setups might be softcapped for extra cast speed. Nullification is usually one-pointed, too, but it’s not wrong to softcap it as it’s a very strong utility skill and it’s good to have it more often.

Some skills are fluid: Conversion is optimal at 9/10 but points might be pulled from here if needed elsewhere. Siphon Souls at one point is a must, and it and Blood Boil is a great place to dump points if you have too many. Pushing Necro mastery to the end and putting one point in Reap Spirit for precise Time Dilation is a very valid safety option.

Leveling.

Leveling with a spellbinder is not the easiest. It usually involves much kiting until you can get your defenses in order. I usually level arcanists as 2h ranged elemental autoattacks with Mistborn Talisman/Beronath Fury supported by Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange, Olexra’s Flash Freeze and nukes: transmuted CT and/or Trozan’s Sky Shard. When lack of resistance reduction is too heavy I switch to aether and rush Nerco mastery.

It is also possible to level with CT spam from the beginning but this is a very energy consuming skill.

BUILD VARIANTS

Minmaxed setups

The fastest Crucible Gladiator 150-170 clear with 4 blessing and Vanguard Banner currently belongs to Reym Reym and here’s the vid. This is the grimtool link in the vid’s description but he used a slightly different setup in the run that looks like this. This is also the fastest non-pet clear ever afaik: 4:55. The main feature of this setup is using Bone Harvest for even more flat dmg.

I have tried to copy his run and fell 30 seconds short at best. I also tried improve on it and push offense to the very maximum and came up with this zero defense setup which got me 4:57 at best (here’s the vid) Here, I tried to combine Reym Reym’s idea of using Bone Harvest with double Albrecht rings and Eye of the Guardian. I also experimented with Decree of Aldrich(grimtools) for even more flat and crit dmg but the results were inconsistent.

EDIT: The record has been beaten by John_Smith with a very classic and straightforward setup focused on oa and crit dmg: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKyQXQV. Here’s the vid (amazing 4:41): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeT-KEFrAc0

Survival setups

The above setups were made for the sole purpose of maximizing Crucible clear speed and are severely lacking in defense. But Agrivix is also flexible to go for for safety and consistence. This is my setup I managed to do the naked crucible challenge (vid here) with. It features the necessary energy leech, Eternity relic for more consistent Mirror-MoT as well as defensive augments and components. The green boots can be replaced by Stormtitan Treads.

No Anasteria setups

Mythical Maw of Despair, as in the two builds mentioned at the beginning, is a good item allowing for even better sustain thanks to the ADCTH to CT mod. There is a lengthy discussion in one of those threads on Anasteria vs. Maw so I’ll leave it at this.

Non-Agrivix Agrivix

There also was one build worth a mention due to its exotic nature. It was originally made by Witcher (sorry, I couldn’t find this thread) and meticulously crafted to beat Ravager in a record time. It looked more or less like this but this is but a shadow of my failing recollection, and I’m mentioning it only for the sake of thoroughness.

Mage Hunter Agrivix

grimtools

youtube (3b/vb 6:34)

Although it is possible to make a viable CT Agrivix as a Mage Hunter, it is inferior to the Spellbinder on all accounts: dmg, health, oa, etc. Seal and Word of Renewal does not make up for lack of MoT and Deadly Aim helps somewhat but can’t compare to permanent buffs from Spectral Binding. There is no synergy between the two classes when it comes to Agrivix gear. Flames of Wrath amulet comes to mind but breaking up Agrivix set makes no sense and puts as back to square one plus sacred strike. Fateweaver Leggings also seem to be good here… but they aren’t. What’s more, lack of skill bonuses to Inquisitor is especially painful when I comes to WoP which is a chore to use without Word of Agony’s radius increase.

It is ofc possible to improve on the above toon but it will never compare to the Spellbinder.

This would be the above setup tweaked for 4 blessings and more QoL: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwvdz8V

This is an alternative for all-round setup with Maw of Despair: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV16KxYZ Maw of Despair is ofc slower than Anasteria but with a Mage Hunter it might be a better option due to lack of damage reduction from Necromancer’s Decay (Maw has some dmg red).

Budget (faction gear mostly) CT Spellbinder

A guide was made by Malawiglenn here.

STRATEGIES

Agrivix is a quite straightforward build. Get into the middle of the mob and spam CT, sprinkle with Devastation and watch them die. Press Mirror if in danger. Press MoT if still in danger. If MoT fails you still got Ghoulish Hunger. If anything lives after that - proc Time Dilation and go again. When it comes to maximizing clear speed, however, things get a little more complicated. These are key:

POSITIONING. Although it is a caster build and both CT and Devastation have a decent AoE, it is important to have as many enemies in melee range as possible at all times. It is because Agrivix relic and Flame Torrent (as well as Eye of the Guardian in some setups) are melee range procs. It requires quite precise movement and knowing when to move and when to keep spamming. A good idea for advanced players is to forego the extra ADCTH from Seal of Blades and equip a Riftstone - it gives a mobility skill.

TIME DILATION. There are two ways to go about this devotion proc.

1. Bind it to any skill with no cooldown or and many consecutive hits (CT, Aether Corruption). It will proc it randomly but as soon as it’s off cooldown. It’s a solution for more advanced players.
  2. Push Nerco mastery to the end to get Reap Spirit. It is the only skill in the two masteries that has 100% chance of proccing TD (outside transmuted CT which ofc is unavailable). This way you can proc TD manually when it’s needed (usually immediately after MoT, Ghoul or Devastation). It’s a good solution for beginners also because extra points in the mastery provide health and attributes.
  3. Similarly to 2) bind TD to Trozan’s Sky Shard or Chaos Strike (from Riftstone Component). This way you can also trigger TD manually but it’s faulty - both skills have only 82% chance of proccing it.

KITING. The advice is simple: never do it. Agrivix can stand his ground to anything in the game including Celestials (with tweaks ofc). Kiting leaves you with no ADCTH. Even when it seems you’re gonna die, stand your ground and wait for Ghoulish Hunger. It will give you extra 6 seconds of life - enough for Mirror/MoT/TD to cool down.

Nice guide and all, but don’t you dare call Sacred Strike underpowered. 1 Sacred Strike out of 10

That is a very balanced setup, I can’t really find anything there to dislike (probably because I did make a very similiar one in gt quite some time ago). Possibly Krieg boot/gloves combo gives a bit more damage, but this is more balanced. Few minor things about points distribution tho, do you really need MoT at 11/10? I think 6/10 should be enough. Those points could be spent on Siphon Souls for bigger radius.

But I am sure John Smith will have something to say about that as he actually mains Spellbinder and played around different setups a lot.

Also tried to copy Reym’s build and didn’t succeed.
I don’t think that all that fuss with bones is worth it, just put free points into siphon&blood boil and get the permanent dmg and survivability.

my videos.
Starpact Agrivix is still alive. Using 11/12 SP gives us 10 additional cdr, it still can do 4 runs per buff, using 3buff+1banner

My main specis pretty tanky and delivers enought damage to do 4 runs per buff with extra spawn.

Main spec playing with interface turned off.

I can’t wait to try it, but it just feels pointless to slog through levelling any alts, knowing that soon it would be faster.

I’ve never played this build, so I have a naive question: Is the chain cast MoT+MoE so important that Spellbinder is mandatory ? I’ve always wondered if Mage Hunter Agrivix could be a thing: WoP for -%aether res. and the powerful Seal.

Necro isn’t really there for the defense. It’s just a nice bonus. It’s damage. Spectral Binding aether dmg and OA, RE being better than Word for devotion proccing because shotguns, And Agrivix supports binder better cause of the siphon mods, same with other aether gear where mage hunter isn’t really supported by much so binder has an easier time allocating skillpoints.

Mage Hunter will stil be good, cause there’s still synergy but binder is better.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

It’s just one possible setup that is imo best balanced between main game QoL and Crucible speed and survivablility. I wrote this guide so that beginners can look at different setups, read the descriptions and figure out for themselves what’s best for them.

As for MoT, I think beginners should max it. It seems pricey but sometimes you can feel the difference in that extra 5+% dmg absorb (by sometimes I mean double Reapers). I’m not a big fan of Siphon and I think extra 50 oa shred or a few feet radius isn’t worth a fuss but it’s a matter of playstyle. If you like to have that second healing pot when out of mirrormot then yeah, it’s good. But my Siphon philosophy is: start the fight with Siphon for the debuff and if they don’t die before Siphon’s back then my dmg is wrong. :wink:

My first reaction was exactly that: wtf, boneharvest? There’s hardly any conversion! But then I looked at the numbers: with toproll on the chest it’s 30+ extra flat (like another Fabric of Reality). Ofc balance-wise it’s meh but it’s a minmax. In the one I posted below Reym’s I even max IEE for one flat per point lol.

Your setup is good. I’ll add info to op that softcapping null is a valid option as I know how good it is. I don’t know why one more point Arcane Will, though. I also noticed that for energy it’s better to put points in IEE for more leech and regen than in Mental Alacrity for the 4% cost red. Also, it feels like binding Arcane Bomb to Siphon Souls isn’t the way to go.

As for Star Pact, it’s interesting that it’s still viable. Pre-nerf I liked it better than Reckless for constant Devastation and easy chaining. But now I just can’t look at it…:wink:

I’ll put one together and add to op later. But x1’s is right.

As for chaining, no, it’s not that important. Everything should die in 8 seconds. But MoT itself and knowing when and where to use it is very important in my experience. Especially against things like two Reapers and no mobs. It’s just two enemies so no way you can outleech them with your CT (especially when Arcane Bomb is still on the way) so without a good strong MoT it’s certain death. You can hide behind the banner though but it’s irrelevant to your question.

updated op with a mage hunter agrivix, right at the bottom of op

Nice write-up!

Ty for this.

Time to try Eternity and Kriegs boots on my binder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CT Spellbinder is so easy to level, gear and play, it’s really hard to get it wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’d be good to mention the mobility/movement skills coming in FG, which will make this build even more awesome. If there would be a movement skill with a 4 second cooldown, that would a perfect skill to bind Arcane Bomb to.

There’s Chaos Strike on Riftstone component that some people like to use for mobility. It actually does decent dmg, too, especially with double Albrechts. And it procs AB with 100% chance but 4s cooldown is too long for AB.

The riftstone component is awesome. I’m so used to it i almost can’t play other characters anymore :). The mobility is really nice.

Thx. Added a link to your budget setup to op.

Thanks, I did link to this guide in my budget guide as well

are we still making memes out of that Sacred strike ravager spellbinder? lol

updated op with STRATEGIES section and a new run ALMOST beating Reym (minmaxed setups section)

As I said before - using bone harvest really doesn’t add much to Agrivix. So to prove you don’t need it I have tweaked my setup into full damage spec and recorded a 4 blessings 1 banner run

//youtu.be/FeT-KEFrAc0