Hi guys :) I have a problem w/chars appearing and disappearing from selection menu

I have read a ton of threads, topics on where chars are saved to etc. I have back-ups of the level 70ish chars and tried everything I read to get it to appear, so I could level it but it never would show up in char selection menu in-game.

So, I sulked a few hours then made a new char, leveled it to 20 in an hour or so, as I was logging it off, there was the other char in the char selection menu, so I logged it on and checked the bank and everything looked great. On top of the world but, as I was logging off to desktop, I decided to log back in to check and see if the char was still there. I was fully expecting the level 20 char to be there but wasn’t so sure about the 70ish one. When I logged in, there wasn’t a char at all in the char selection menu. The level 20 I JUST had made and the level 70ish vanished - again. Yes cloud saving is off in the client and in steam, although it had been on up until the level 70ish char vanished (not before but after it vanished), so I copied the entire dir where it was, not just bits and pieces but entire folder GD and have it backed-up.

I have verified the files, reinstalled FOUR times (before I made the level 20 char), turned off cloud saves ingame and in steam. I have dropped my copied and backed up folder into both directories, then only to MyGames\blah\blah whatever and also to the steam directory and still cannot find the chars.

This is my first post and obviously trying to figure out what is going on with this as it seems to happen to a lot of people according to internet searches I have done last couple of days. So I have given up. I have tried everything, no matter how irrelevant it seemed to get the game up and loading a char I had 150+ hrs into (yeah I know that ain’t nutin right?) that is a lot of time and effort put into something I was really having fun with.

So now, I just made another char, called Houdini coz I’m guessing he’s gonna disappear too but at the same time, I’m hoping that when I log him out of the game that the other two will show up like my 1st char showed up after I had played the lvl 20 char and if so, back-up the entire folder (again as a separate new folder GD-2) before I close the game to desktop this time.

Is this a common occurrence for someone who uses zero mods, just base game and all the DLC?

Thanks for any constructive relevant polite feedback.

Okay, one more thing. I just deleted GD the 2 files (again) in settings folder and the level 70 and 20 show up but Houdini did vanish. I am beginning to wonder if this has something to do with me tinkering with the video, audio or what if it is in a config type of file? The game is waaaay too small to see on 3840 x 2160 AND another thing I just noticed is that the cloud save is enabled by default apparently??

I’ve been up all night basically trying to get this resolved. I am exhausted, thanks for having a look. I will check back in after I get some rest.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe this might help

1 Like

well it seems to have been an issue with many, usually due to switching cloud saving on and off. There might be 2 options to turn off cloud saving, in game and in steam. That might be a reason that it doesn’t read from the right directory. The right offline directory is in my documents/my games etc. This only switches when you disable cloud saving though. See Medea’s post for more detail on the correct way.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s great to be here! I have read that, done that and done it several more times! :smile: Along with many other tricks. I actually found it w/o the article but this would have made it so much quicker lol.

I edited the original post. It seems that if I delete the files in Settings folder, the char shows up BUT also Cloud saving in-game is enabled as default apparently but not in Steam so fixing to enable it in both and see what happens this time. I’m glad I have the chars back but not so sure if they’ll be there when I close the game out. I have saved the dir so we’ll see before I go to sleep.

Thank you, this seems to be related to the problem apparently although I have messed with the settings for 2 days now and finding out that if I delete the files in Setting folder the chars show up and cloud saving is enabled as default save but cloud is switched off for Steam? I am afraid to turn it on in Steam but then again I have the folder saved to a different drive so might as well find out.

It makes no sense but then again I have been dissecting this for about 8 hours so I am needing some sleep soon, maybe it will make sense when I get some rest.

Could be MS Onedrive causing some trouble. I lost about 100 hours when I first started the game due to onedrive and me not backing up my files.

1 Like

cloud on off in game vs steam are 2 different things @ShiveringCheese
cloud off in game determines where the game physically saves the directory to,
if you have cloud on ingame and off in steam settings: you are still using cloud folder directory
if you have steam cloud off in game but on in steam, you are still using local documents directory
what can happen sometimes is Onedrive hijacks the documents folder, shouldn’t prevent characters from appearing tho, main issue is just they might not update on progress

so when you delete the settings file, and it defaults to original, and your chars show up, that would indicate your chars are stored in cloud folder, and was never properly moved to local folder (or Onedrive hijacked them once moved to local documents save folder)

1 Like

I checked that Foehammer, I checked it and it’s disabled for a year or so it seems. Thanks for the tip. :slightly_smiling_face: Phew holy cow 100 hrs lost over M$ being nosy. I’m sorry to hear that.

1 Like

I can’t find a save anywhere. I have looked in all the locations that I have seen on the net and the ones that medea-fleecestealer posted. I just took the level 20 out and did a quest to see if it would save that to one of the directories when I exit to desktop. I also did a small side quest on level 70ish to see if it would save as well.

A question I have is, how are the saves determined? Is it a certain point, like killing a boss, finishing a quest or leveling or is it set for intervals of time? Does anyone know?

Thank all you guys for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I am going to ahve to lay down now lol (famous last words when playing GD). It’s great to meet you guys!

PS: After closing the game, a save folder finally reappeared in default cloud location, so I copy/pasted that into the My Games GD directory, then turned off cloud in-game, since deleting files in the Setting folder re-enables it in the game on start-up. Logged back in and all 3 chars other than Houdini appeared. Hopefully this fixes everything. I love playing this game, this has made my weekend. It’s great to meet you guys and thanks for all the pro-help! Crossing my fingers this doesn’t jack up again.

1 Like

Hope so too for your sake. Game saves pretty much all the time.

1 Like

Are you sure you aren’t also deleting the options.txt file located in that directory? The only way that cloud would be re-enabled on start-up would be if you deleted that file since it informs the game that you had cloud enabled or disabled, and thus, deleting it would cause it to restore default settings.

The options.txt file ONLY ever lives in one place and that place is GD’s local saving directory in My Documents/My Games. I’m guessing you’ve been making the mistake of deleting the entire Grim Dawn directory there.

1 Like

Good point, I had read a fix was to delete both files, so thanks for pointing that out for myself and anyone else who may have same problem.