I'd like to see less reliance on markets and schools in early game

From a gameplay perspective, requiring a market and school to reach tier 2 is a little unrealistic both from a historical aspect and a population aspect. There’s just no way that a community of 20-30 people could support both a market and school in the timeframe we’re playing in.
I know this is a game but I’d still like it to have a little realism.

2 Likes

I think the school is fine. It’s a very rudimentary school. I could see bumping market to tier 2 though and adding something to tier 1 like a church or whatever

Markets can already be upgraded to their own tier 2. And a school isn’t required for TC’s tier 2; it’s needed for tier 3. For TC’s tier 2 you only need 8 houses, 30 people and a market.

The Market requirement is a nudge to get you to interact with the desirability system and start earning taxes.

Schools are not required to reach Tier 2.

2 Likes

Historically speaking, the school should not exist. If the game is aimed for historical accuracy, well – schools did not really become a thing in rural areas in Europe until the 18th century and the beginning of the industrial period.

That said, we’d need some kind of apprenticeship system in its place so speaking from a gameplay point of view, it’s probably the best choice.

The game’s history is what you imagine it to be. It’s not set on earth or in the middle ages.

If the game isn’t claiming historical accuracy then the whole issue of schools and churches and other sites of worship is entirely a matter of dev choice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Markets take 1 person to run, schools take 1 person to run. That’s 18-28 people not tied into the market/school chain.

Having one person run a market or a school is also unrealistic compared to reality, but it works on the level of gameplay mechanic to simulate those actions.

Well, actually many schools in settlements this size would have been a “one-room school house” with one teacher.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.