[Idea] Official ingame timer for Crucible and SR and better functionality for competition

When I say miniscule, I mean in the grand scheme of things. The official forums is still kicking years after release which is commendable but how many people are there that actively speedrun Crucible out of the total number of people that play including other communities and those that don’t even partake in any community groups. How many people that have played the game even once have reached endgame and would be liable to use a timer specifically for running 150-170 in Crucible.

Let me put it this way using some completely made up numbers. Would you rather develop a feature for 10 000 people or tweak and design it so that 1 million people and future buyers can benefit from it?

1 Like

Not sure I understand your question, but yes the picture is bleak if you look at it that way, but there is also little incentive. Perhaps SR is actually better for this idea, since it is much better connected to the campaign content and campaign characters can easily walk in and out. Crucible is something players seem to have less awareness of because of the disconnect with the campaign.

EDIT: There are also enormous hurdles such as the long grind to get to the ‘grimsheet levels’, so it makes you wonder how things would have turned out without these hurdles.

Hello,

Firstly let me apologize for the noob question…

I just came from Dark Souls to GD, and I loved the idea of the Crucible and the character development in GD.

But, right now, I cannot find other players’ scores in my Leaderboard screen, but only my scores. Do these scores only show up after a certain level of our character, or am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

It only shows scores for your personal characters. There is no in-game global leaderboard or anything like it.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

Do you know of any site where we can see other people’s scores ? In my opinion, that would be really fun and a huge motivation for many people to play the game.

Cheers

Here are various builds with ~records (or very good times):

Here you can see youtube channels of various GD players / speedrunners pushing the limits mostly from this forum
(some uploading videos even today for 1.1.9.2 beta patch):

Also there’s something like this

Thanks a lot for your reply with so much content, I really appreciate it.

I see that there are no scores in this sheet, only times.

Is there any site where we can see scores of other players ?

Thanks again.

Short answer, no, because the Crucible wasn’t designed to be competitive in that way. The leaderboard is only for you to see how one of your characters compars to another one of yours.

I understand (but don’t agree with) the game’s design totally focused on single player, but I think it’s natural for most players to want to compare their builds with other players, it’s a natural motivation to try to improve further.

In any case, my main doubt now is about sites that do Crucible leaderboards independently for us to compare our builds in this great game mode.

Cheers

As I said, short answer is no. No such site/s exist that I’m aware of.

And you assume most players play Crucible/SR “competitively”. Personally I play neither myself, I find them too boring. Although the majority of builds in the Compendium do use those game modes as part of the compendium inclusion criteria, if you look very few people actually post builds in there. Also the forum itself is a very small group of the player base as a whole.

There are ways that are managed by the community. tqFan pointed you to several up above. The key distinction is that players focus on how fast they can clear Crucible instead of how high of a score you can attain as a faster time is more conducive of farming potential and performance than score is.

Cool, so the level is really insane, as I see.

It’s so high that clearing the whole Crucible is the standard, and what would define your build as “good or not” is the time you took to clear it.

Interesting.

I still hope that at some time in the future scores will also be added to leaderboards though, as it would consider more “normal players” in the leaderboards, not only the aliens that are used to clearing the whole Crucible frequently.

But I understand the emphasis of the current leaderboards on the time to clear Crucible now.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Cheers

It’s not clearing the whole crucible but only the final 20 waves. You can get the ability to skip the first 150 (or first whatever waves you want depending on the tier) after you complete the entire crucible.

Cool, thanks for this clarification, too.

Let me make a honest question, considering the lack of leaderboards, then.

What keeps you motivated to keep creating new builds or further improving one that you created ? The campaign ? SR ?

Cheers

It’s a fun optimizing puzzle, finishing a character / reaching endgame of your choice (Crucible, SR, Main Campaign, Bosses, varies between players), which changes the constraints you work under, is not an easy task and gives satisfaction. Altoholilcs like starting from scratch frequently. The game allows to be creative since there are so many items and builds. Experience and skill matter which makes getting better rewarding. You can get a build nerfed, :crate: is pretty responsive to feedback.

2 Likes

It’s just finding the best builds that exist in the game, tbh. Crate balances this game like a competitive game too so while the endgame community might not see eye to eye with Zantai when it comes to balance changes, it gives us something to do every patch.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your replies.

PS: Bosses ? Is there a mode where you only fight bosses ? This could be interesting, instead of fighting many waves of irrelevant enemies.

Cheers

There are superbosses that are unlocked through sidequests and are the strongest single bosses you can fight in the game. I can’t guide you where to look since it’s a long time since I bothered unlocking stuff instead of just using an edited char but finding them is part of the journey.

If you want something like that then the Grimarillion mod has changed SR so that only boss rooms spawn; no inbetween chunks just boss room followed by boss room followed by boss room …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.