If it isn't too much work there should be a "Random extreme terrain" map options. Out of 10 map rerolls, most of them are flat and boring

TL;DR - We need an option to roll maps with an algorithm that favors un-user-friendly extreme terrains and elevation.

It definitely should not be recommended or on by default. But I hope you guys can add a more extreme randomized terrain button. Currently it takes me roughly 30m-1H to roll a fun and interesting map. Because even with random on, it is heavily favored towards flat land and boring terrain.

I’d like to see more randomized terrain with huge elevation differences. Maybe a huge lake on top of a mountain, with ocean to the left and tall and low valleys.

Most maps through reroll is - forgive me for being blunt - boring in their design. I’d like to build a residential district along the edge of a tall mountain. Or a village in a deep valley with huge mountains on either side. Or just more extreme and random terrain.

The current map seeding algorithm favors lots of flat, boring and uninteresting map layouts. I know, because I’m unemployed atm and I’ve spent nearly 100 hours playing and probably 20 hours of those rerolling maps. I have rolled … probably at least 500 maps. I have 3. THREE maps I have saved. Due to cool layouts.

So yeah! To avoid vast amounts of time into searching for maps. Please add an option if it isnt too much work - to create more extreme maps in terms of elevations and terrain differences.

2 Likes

Agreed. I was going to post separately but found this thread.

I love the game but there’s not much variety in the generation of the map terrain.

I’d like to start a village centre on a peninsula, or on top of a hill.

I don’t get peninsulas, and I can’t build the town centre on a hill as it is not flat enough. I can’t level ground until I have built the town centre. I can’t move a town centre later.

Very limiting and boring.

1 Like

You can move the TC, it’s not easy to do because of the desirability it gives, but it can be done. Use the Clear option and choose buildings then drag the cursor over it.

See here for many examples of players building on mountain tops that they’ve flattened.

Peninsulas and even islands have been built on too. Just depends on the map roll.

1 Like

Just an FYI if you weren’t aware… most the seed values have been “determined” what they are and what they do. You can easily make any seed more “extreme” yourself.

Seeds consist of 11 characters and the gist of what those characters do can be seen in this pic…

The 7th value in the seed is the map type which can be seen here…

unknown

Values 8 & 9 and 10 & 11 will likely be the most value to you as they determine the “extremes” of water and mountain generation. So basically if you find a map that you might otherwise like you can change those values and get the same map with “extreme” versions of those values.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the info. Don’t know where you find it but that’s helpful.
Hopefully they will make it part of the UI in future updates.

Agree here, at the moment lowland lakes seem to have the most interesting layouts, others look kind of boring.

The person (or persons) who did the work of dissecting the seeds posted their findings on reddit awhile back, here…

As for Crate integrating any of this into the game UI, I’m going to say that I doubt it. It’s more likely that they would leave such stuff to modding instead. You can already add (and edit) custom seeds under the Advanced section of game creation, which I’d wager they would feel is more than enough for Vanilla Farthest Frontier.

That would be a shame as a CUSTOM tab on the New Game UI with sliders, etc. would be quite easy to do.

Anyway I’m happy for now and the new map I generated is exactly what I hoped for.

Well I was more referring to the charts I posted above and whatnot… I wouldn’t be surprised if they perhaps did tweak the settings and difficulties somewhat, perhaps with better customization.

A bit before the game released into early access “making your map” was actually done with various sliders that controlled the amount of water and mountains etc. and I was indeed a fan of that method - but they changed it to the current way. I assume the rationale was to keep things “simpler” for the Average Joe or perhaps they simply wanted a sleeker, better looking interface than it was at that time.

Or both.

Nice to know. Thanks powbam :smiley:

I never get it, it happens with so many games - I understand you need to dumb some things down for the plebs but disabling it completely makes no sense, the “more complicated” could be simply kept under “advanced options” menu.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.