I'm planning on reading Dostoevsky's work. Any recommendations on where to start?

What’s a good book of his to start with?

It’s few years i have the same idea but i never start. I’m keeping an eye on this thread, maybe this is the right moment to start.

‘If not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?’

:rolleyes:

Yeah my problem is i’m lazy to start but once i’ve taken the first steps i enjoy the trip to the end. Well not always if i find the book uninteresting, but it never happened with “classics”.

For what it worths i’ve always tought to start with “l’idiota” don’t know the english title " the idiot?"

Idiot is very good. But its very long read and gets pretty stale.
i also recommend Crime and Punishment.

Any idea on how to approach it?

Is there a certain context/subtext one must first understand to eke out the most of his work?

For example, I know a little bit about his history (like how the bro was damn near executed, etc.), and how that memory forever altered his person.

But yes - how would you, having read the book, advice me to approach it, sir?

Start with “Игрок” . Short and can give you idea if you want to read moar =) . “Бесы” is also on my recommendation list. Stay away from “Братья Карамазовы” =)

Ok. I can’t read russkie, so google translate yielded this - ‘player’

You messing with me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Gambler <_<

Here is “il giocatore”

“The Gambler”. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s been a fair few years now since I read any Dostoevsky, but I also remember enjoying The Gambler, so I…guess that’s a recommendation from me too? Even though it’s been long enough that I can’t even really remember that much of it at all. :stuck_out_tongue: Crime and Punishment was pretty good as well. Of course, then there’s the issue of making sure you get a half-decent translation…I imagine most of them are probably fine though.

Yeah, I couldn’t get into The Brothers Karamazov at all. People say it’s good and all, but I just found it to be a massive slog. :eek:

Ok. Again, how would you approach it?

If I’m gonna read his shit, Imma read the shit out of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I just opened at page 1 and started reading. If there is a “proper” way to read Dostoevsky, I don’t know what it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

At least, I don’t particularly remember anything that I didn’t understand as a result of not having prepared or researched Dostoevsky properly beforehand. I suppose there might be a few historical Russian terms you might not know, and keeping track of character names could be a bit tricky if you’re not familiar with Russian diminutives/nicknames, but it ain’t too bad overall. :slight_smile:

(though again, it’s been years since I read any of these, so my memory might be a little fuzzy :stuck_out_tongue: )

Alright guys. I’m gonna throw myself into the deep end of the russian literary pool here, and hope I don’t drown. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, the 4 years I spent studying philosophy in pre-med will be of use.

Thanks so much for the response!

I made that mistake at university and now my head is full of useless shit.

Philosophy is great! How is it useless?

It’s been the most educational 4 years of my life - it’s given me a huge advantage in medical school as well. Half my peers can’t think. I feel sorry for their patients.

Yeah i was trying to be somewhat ironic but looks like i sucked at it.

Nah bro. Probably just the lack of context because we are typing words on a forum. :rolleyes:

I can’t even google translate that. Hahaha

@Mods: sorry for posting this in the wrong subsection of the forums!