Introducing: Zenith

The work of a hero in the West surely saved all of Cairn from annihilation. But Erulan was not the only region assaulted by the Aetherials and Chthonics. To the East, and at the Zenith of Destruction, another apocalypse begins…

It is my pleasure to announce the development of Grim Dawn: Zenith, a content mod for Grim Dawn! GD:Zenith will feature a dark and dangerous campaign in a world well-past its end. The estimated length of this campaign should be around six hours across two and a half ‘Acts’, plus a good degree of side content. It will feature new skills, new items, and - of course - new enemies whose goals include wiping you off the face of Cairn.

Try out the Elementalist!

Masteries: Six new masteries will enter the fray, with special traits and qualities not found in Grim Dawn’s original content. Investing in the mastery bars of these masteries will give you more than just stats…

Devotion: Devotion will be somewhat redone. I have not yet decided whether I want to include Celestial Powers as in original Devotion. If I do, the effects are obvious. If I don’t, I can do stuff like this AND give every skill in the game its own Celestial Power by default. The latter would somewhat hurt customization, but it would be a great boon to gameplay. I haven’t decided yet.

Items: With great power comes great responsibility…and a need to augment that power with special items! But things will come with a twist this time around: as the campaign is so short, progression will be gutted in favor of customization. This means that the armor values of items throughout the mod will be comparable, as will the values of the stats upon them. Think Dark Souls-style loot. However, Rare/Epic/Legendary items will almost all be having granted skills or procs to create a gameplay incentive to farm for them. I wonder if any skills from GD’s base masteries could show up here…

Questing: Hand holding will be GONE. You want to complete a quest? You’re doing it on your own. Lore text scattered throughout the world will help you somewhat on your journey, but only if you’re paying attention and, of course, only if you’re reading it.

And, of course, more. As this is an announcement thread, I won’t spoil everything about the mod. I will give you a couple teasers, though:

Yes, Elementalist has Chain Lightning

Remember what I said about investing in mastery bars?

Cheers!
-Ceno

Q & A:
Q: When is this releasing?
A: No idea.

Q: Will this delay the Cornucopia Mod?
A: Not any more than my procrastination already is. If I get tired of editing existing content for Cornucopia, I start working on Zenith. Cornucopia presently has higher priority than Zenith does.

Q: Are you working with adoomgod on this?
A: Not presently. If he was willing to help make my vision of the mod come to life, I’d be glad to have him on board…but frankly there are things still about the mod which I haven’t fully settled on and fear I’d not always have things for him to work on.

Q: Are you accepting volunteer testers?
A: Testing, once a decent chunk of content has been created, will be open to the public.

Q: How difficult is this going to be?
A: Very.

damnit crate raise that mastery limit already

Great teaser Ceno. This is going to be fantastic for sure.

No balance changes? Lazy devs.

Zantai’s posts on this and Cornucopia are comedy gold.

will this mod open source like Cornucopia Mod ?

You’ve been waiting years to say that, haven’t you? :wink:

You always have to be trolling on these guys don’t you :stuck_out_tongue:

On topic this looks pretty cool, cant wait to try it out. GL with this Ceno

chain lightning …:cool:

I think they underestimated how quickly we would make fully functional mastery mods…

you are probably right.

im fairly certain they are aware of the issue by now. its been talked about in many threads that have had developer posts in. they aren’t responding because tehy are probably contemplating how it will impact their own plans to expand the masteries, and the other aspects of the game that need some expansion as well (IE forcing us to hard mod stuff they could allow soft modding for).

and the exposure of more game data to LUA

Still waiting for a mod that adds an Inquisitor/Cleric mastery and that allows me to build a Paladin-like character… :cry:

What’s with the “dark” themed masteries being all over the place on this mod section? :confused:

Holy damage is not an option! :wink:

Yeah, but Fire and Lightning are sort of the “holy” damage on GD when you put them together, isn’t it?

A mastery that uses both elements, and having some spells or skills that deals extra damage to the undead/chthonic/aetherials would be awesome.

Add Aether in there as well, look at Spear of the Heavens.

Finally got my Grim Dawn forums account back !

And the first thing i see is this. What a good project that you are creating Ceno.

Looking forward this beauty!

I don’t know how to mod, i don’t know how to code but if i can help in any way, simply ask !
As i understand a lot of the Original Grim Dawn i could help with affixes on items for exemple and how to expand build possibility with masteries ///

I wonder if its the GRIM in GRIM DAWN.

A Champion + Terror Knight may be surprisingly up your alley.

And so Zantai has slain two mods.

Very nice Ceno! Can’t wait to try it out.

Cant someone just release a mastery with Chain Lightning without changing the game :frowning:
I love the game as is, just really need mastery with chain lightning.

Anyways good luck with your Mod ceno, hope it does well.

Could probably copy/paste the mastery into a simple mod on top of the base game and it should work out OK. Some numbers may need tweaking, though.

(Didn’t see this my first time through the thread)

Yes. I look forward to seeing what the community is capable of making off my basis. Plus I’m too lazy to remove all the sources myself.