Is multiplayer unbalanced? And if yes, what to do about it?

Any reason why you don’t like it? (Aside from the difficulty). I think multiplayer (modded or not) sounds like a lot of fun. But yeah, I enjoyed tons of diablo 1 and 2, but Grim Dawn pretty much is far better. The best ARPG I played, and I highly doubt there is any ARPG who can compete with it.

You do not seems to understand that it is not the majority or people that like mods and the game still encourage them. So why not add an in game option to balance the multiplayer… A lot of people asked you or at least didnt get why the multi is easy and you still talking like you ignoring us… Like in this exact post. You bassicly said that you it but you do not care at all… Exactly my prevision… Always the same answer that came from you. Very sad… The worst in this is that I know that at first on the beta state of the game it was harder at some point, but you guys changed it…

It’s like trying to debate with a wall…

I’ll give it one last go.

If we did as you say and “added an in-game option” for every thing that “a lot*” of people asked for, the game menu would be pages of toggles and sliders and we’d have spent all our time doing nothing but adding options to appease every subset of the community.

Instead, we make the game in a way that we believe serves the playerbase best. Things like overall game balance are not something you add a bunch of toggles and options for because it creates an inconsistent experience that makes it difficult not only for us to properly balance but for players to discuss because their frame of reference is not the same.

*the term “a lot” is used a lot when somebody is desperate to make their point of view seem like it’s a bigger deal than it is. The reality is that about 10% of ARPG players care about MP, and of that 10% an even smaller group cares about its difficulty as you do (as evidenced by a poll created by a player, not even by us).

Lol he did give you an option to balance multiplayer. Mods are the answer.

And you know the majority of people don’t like mods how? Do you realise how few people even multiplay the game? It’s a single player game and it’s balanced around that.

I hate people and I hate multiplayer:eek:

Difficulty scaling is the main reason I stay out of MP. I play games for the challenge you know.

I think playing duo is fine though, especially if you wanna co-op in a themed play-through of the campaign.

Still, having the reputation that “multiplayer is unbalanced/too easy” it not good “commercial” for the game. If multiplayer is a feature, why not try to make the game as balanced as it can be, both in single player and in multiplayer - everyone will benefit from that.

Not really an issue when the amount of people that want multiplayer is so small.

Then there’s also games that pride themselves as multiplayer experiences like the Borderlands games and it’s widely accepted that those games are ridiculously easy in multiplayer. Didn’t hurt the sales one bit.

Probably doesn’t hurt the “commercial” since majority of players seem to want exactly the balance we have.

Am I speaking an alien language today?

I think having a third expansion can solve the multiplayer issue?:stuck_out_tongue:

you just smashed the wall that you were debating with :rolleyes:

Sure, most people want the “easy” fix as ya_ mentioned, multiplayer is a nice way to get loot and experience if your playing skills and wealth is poor - of course it will appeal to the “masses”

yes
nothing

+1 That gave me a chuckle.

Not everyone wants the game to be any harder than it already is, either in single or multiplayer. I have played Grim Dawn almost exclusively for the past couple of years and I like playing multiplayer with a friend who doesn’t like playing this type of games solo that much.

She has a kid who is very often a distraction and certain boss fights and other encounters in certain places (particularly in skeleton key dungeons) do not tolerate much in the way of interruptions or the run goes to shit for her and might do for me as well. But we sure as hell are not going to prioritize the game over her kid.

Then there are the sort of inconvenient other distractions like work and other real life things that interfere with maximizing the honing of Grim Dawn skills.

The people who are most vocal about wanting something to be more difficult are very often the most visible in forums like these, but I have NO idea why they actually imagine themselves to be the majority of Grim Dawn players. Narcissim? Or just because they only see themselves and other like minded people posting about it, so they are blind to other viewpoints?

Fact of the matter is that most people who play the game do NOT sign up for these forums, OR play multiplayer. So you don’t hear their voices. Of those who do play multi, many do not post in places like this. Probably a lot of them are in the same situation as I am, where opportunities are limited timewise and they don’t need a whole lot of extra barriers to having some fun with friends.

Make it too hard and those people will find something else to do, and THAT would be bad PR.

So yeah, I’m backing the devs 100% on this. You want to have things substantially more difficult with your friends? Then look up a mod that does what you want, or make that mod yourself, and then use it. If it’s only adjusting difficulty rates for some things, it shouldn’t be too hard to do (as opposed to mods where there would be new content, new graphics etc etc) if you want it that badly.

I actually wish the game was way harder so I sat there developing my characters for longer than 2 - 6 hours. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually been thinking about a balance mod myself, but knowing me I may do that mod, but then be too lazy to update it and eventually forget about it completely. :undecided:

Yeah make base game super easy so that many casual players will enjoy it. The die-hard ARPG fans will just have to mod it :slight_smile:

there are easy fixes to the lack of difficulty: add your own. Throw out the build-defining legendary sets that crate spent a lot of time and resources to add into the game, discard any MI with even a single rare affix, and suddenly you will be in a harder place. And if that’s not enough, you can crank the difficulty further by:

Not using soldier.
Not using expansion masteries.
and on and on.

See how far you get in a difficult content (Glad, SR) that way.

This is hilarious coming from the same guy that nearly dies against Thalonis with a Death Knight. Guess it doesn’t help you. :stuck_out_tongue: