Is there a way to play main game (NOT custom game) with tiny mod?

Hello. I created a mod for myself with just two tiny changes: increased the number of ravens and hellhounds from 1 to 3. But I’m already 48lvl in main game and don’t want to start new/custom game. Is there any way to continue the main game with a mod I created that changes the number of summoned creatures? Because its better for me to drop this game and leave negative review than to continue to suffer.
I can’t believe summoner here is such crap. Veteran, 48 lvl. Raven, Hellhound with attached Elemental Storm devotion, Ognapesh, Crab spirit. Every peace of gear is a pet item. +325% pet damage but they still kill shrines/totems bosses for a very long time, 25-30 seconds, and die like flies, you have to kite bosses and resummon pets 2-3 times. Another crappy implementation of a summoner that makes it impossible to enjoy the game.

Yes.

• find YOUR_MOD.arz in your mod

• copy it to Grim Dawn/mods

• rename it to database.arz

• make a shortcut to Grim Dawn .exe you’re using, this can be for example:

• 64 bit Grim Dawn from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\x64\Grim Dawn.exe

• Grim Internals from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\GrimInternals64.exe

• 32 bit Grim Dawn from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\Grim Dawn.exe

• add /basemods (preceded with one space) as argument to the shortcut:
    lazy_launch

• you can optionally rename this shortcut so that you known it launches modded Grim Dawn

• launch the game from the shortcut

• alternatively add this /basemods launch flag to Steam options

2 Likes

You need Grim Internals for that though, yes?

no, it works with standard Grim Dawn too.

@medea_fleecestealer the other one - /mod or something - you may be thinking about does indeed work only with GI
but also that other one doesn’t really hardmod the game/Main Campaign, just launches the mod so that you can play Crucible

1 Like

Yes, I know about the need for GI to play modded characters in Crucible. But if GI isn’t needed for what the OP is asking for why does your screenshot show GI being used? I’m confused.

It’s an example. Read the point before the screenshot. I just happen to have a screenshot for Grim Internals not normal exe

Ah, okay. :+1:

Going to post a few tips about your original problem.

1st: Veteran. It takes ages to kill things in it, you’re better off in normal until you have proper gear, and even then veteran doesn’t add much of value.

2nd: Pets. At level 48, especially with og’napesh you should be steamrolling the game. Max Raven, Lightning Strike, HH, get vulnerability to 10 and curse of frailty to ~4. Use rover pet chest. Use salazar’s sovereign blade or korvaak’s Burning-Blade. Hallion’s Crest for medal, Zaria’s pendant for amulet, Ancestor for relic when you get to malmouth and can vendor refresh for blueprints.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. But if I wanted to push fucking buttons to make enemies die, I’d play a Arcanist or Demolitionist or Shaman or Necromancer or everyone else. Do you see the problem? The game developers think exactly the same way you do. If you take pleasure in pushing buttons, I take pleasure in watching my minions tear apart enemies without my participation. I am willing to put all my power into my my minions, but I wish to receive an appropriate return. I don’t want to curse, heal or kite. All I want to do is show up, point my finger at the toughest enemy in this game, and watch him die in a few heartbeats in gruesome and delightful agony because of my minions.
Some people will never be able to understand what it means to be a True Summoner. Unfortunately, most game developers are like that.

Then look here. Plenty of builds that are lazy, even some where you just hit one button now and again.

2 Likes

You dont want to push buttons but you push buttons to summon pets? Curi…

Joking aside shaman has a regular pet, a temporary pet, a player-scaled enemy-cursing pet, and the best pet exclusive passive you can put on yourself, so chances are, unless you are running a single-class challenge, you want something like shaman to make your pet character stronger.

Now that nitpick out of the way, I was literally describing the leveling phase of Maya’s Petwalker to you. You know, the laziest pet build out there. Sure early on it runs with curse of frailty, but that’s the leveling phase. Once the set is compelete it only occasionally refreshes blood of dreeg not to die from poison, and just resummons the pets like crazy because its a budget build already going as deep as fully kitted out characters go.

Lightning Strike is not something from the “fucking shaman”. Its a skill that you “teach” your raven. (Another part I didnt mention, Storm spirit is an aura that your raven uses to buff elemental damage and resist of your pets)

The rest are gear pieces you could be using

Only thing that would require button presses at this point are Blood of Dreeg, which is again an unavoidable part of the occultist kit (and not something your mod is addressing), and curse of frailty, which triggers Shepherd’s crook that just happens to be another ~100% additive pet damage buff. (And also makes tagged monsters take more damage, and also something you usually do in D2 with amp and lower resist.)

aside from basemod trick (which i’m a big fan of personally too)
tqFan also made a thing (among many) called auto caster

1 Like