Is there any inventory space expansion planned around FoA release?

I don’t want Crate to add infinite space stash because:
A) I don’t need it.
B) I’m kinda petty about self entitled people demanding changes and not getting what they want.
C) I’d lose the entertainment of watching people losing their minds discussing about the implementation of infinite space stash.

5 Likes

A) Totally not a self-entitled reason
B) Nobody is demanding, way to blow this out of proportion. And unlike your (totally not a self-entitled) reason A, those who advocate for stash increase do it in a considerate and elaborate manner, with intention of improving the game for many many others.
C) You’re welcome

1 Like

How is “I don’t need it” more entitled than “I don’t care about the other guys whose game it would negatively impact, I also don’t care that there is a perfect solution just a few mouse clicks away, give it to me anyway”?

Spoilers: It isn’t!

Do you though? Or are you stubbornly refusing to use existing solutions while attempting to change the game to the detriment of some others while not actually making any meaningful improvement for anyone?

I’ve yet to hear any meaningful answer as to why you absolutely can’t just use the mods that already exist and 100% fix this problem that isn’t a problem? Anyone?

This discussion goes the same way every time. People ask for more stash because there’s not enough for them and others in the game, other people come in and say nah it’s fine (the tautology of the stash is fine because it’s the stash we have).

Crate seem unwilling to add anything but I also think there might have actually been a technical reason why it was actually quite difficult to do too (something about risk to existing items?).

I’ll certainly be complaining with the rest of the ‘not enough’ group (though I think infinite is a bad idea) if FoA gets released with the measly stash we have now, given there will be 45 class combinations and I like to try out many builds.

Sure, if you’ve been playing grimstash forever and only pick the best of the best gear and skip levelling, or you only play one or a few toons, it’s enough stash, but the game is designed for variety without the stash to support it. Mods aren’t the answer, but I assume there are quite a few thousands of downloads of mods that have increased stash suggesting the base game perhaps could do with it…

1 Like

Firstly, I pointed out how toapeiron provided a self-entitled reason and then immediately threw a shade on others for ‘being self-entitled’. A bit of a double-standard, eh?

Secondly, you are misrepresenting my stance, intentionally or not. My intention was to have an infinite stash as an option for those who ask for it, while keeping the original stash. The limited stash enjoyers can have their game as it is, or switch - up to their preference.

So yes, my stance is a whole lot less self-entitled than the other poster’s, if you’re asking.

Thirdly, 3rd party tool is not the perfect solution. Neither it is a few mouse clicks away, in fact, the technicalities one of the reasons why I prefer not to use them.

I already gave you an answer in the other thread, but for some reason you are refusing to acknowledge it.

1 Like

This already exists. Mods already do this.

I’m not refusing to acknowledge it, I just straight up don’t think the game should be fundamentally changed because you

So we’re back to you thinking that my game should be negatively impacted because you choose not to use already available solutions to your issue.

If it was an option then your game wouldn’t be negatively impacted.

There’s nothing wrong with people asking the devs to consider things. It’s made GD better over the years and is doing the same for Farthest Frontier.

Just make your point/s for/against and leave it at that; there’s no need to argue back and forth.

3 Likes

It’s already an option. That’s been my point for this entire thread.

Infinite stashes already exist and will cost you a single google search and 20-ish mouse clicks to install and configure, and then they will not force the developers to make choices based on them being there for every player.

Then by the same token, there’s nothing wrong with me asking that the devs NOT consider things.

/fin

An in-game option. Which is optional. Meaning you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It does not affect you nor anyone on a fundamental level unless the player chooses to.

The results would be:
The pro-limited stash advocates lose nothing. Those who ask for bigger stash get their headache cured and are now happy. Everyone gets a new option.

There are no downsides.

I acknowledge that it will require effort to implement. I respect Crate’s stance on this. But it is possibly the most requested change from players over the whole lifespan of GD and I hope they’ll give this another thought.

2 Likes

Sometimes it amazes me how near sighted people can be. Let’s assume that “infinite stash” is “optional”, what will happen if the player first decides to use it, filling, say, 20 pages worth of stuff, but then decides against it and toggles it off? Where that extra gear comes to? Or disappears rather? This will make so that forums will become flooded with “MY WHOLE STASH DISAPPEARED” kind of topics (we still get occasional topics about weapons “evaporating” - weapon swap being the case here).

Another thing is, if it’s just a toggle in the options, why WOULDN"T everyone just tick it on? If there’s no penalty for doing so? I mean, the stash pages we have now must be purchased with in-game currency, but what about those “optional infinite stashes”?

Is that worth the headache?

1 Like

This is the second time you’re bringing your expertise into discussion, the problem is - your expertise is (once again) near sighted at best. Cases like this are a part of the implementation. Obviously. One immediate solution that comes to mind is a warning when players unticks the option that mentions consequences. Like when you delete a character. There is no doubt Crate would solve this.

Regarding the point of why players wouldn’t use it - ask Paikis and others pro-limited stash posters.
(I imagine at least some of them would tick that despite posting against it, though :stuck_out_tongue: )

It’s a major QoL, definitely worth the effort and making many players happy.

1 Like

Uh-huh, yeah, sure, whatever you say. I’m just wondering what will you do if your options file becomes damaged, read only, hijacked by shit like One Drive and such? Then you’d have to reset it (which can be done by built-in Repair tool), meaning all your settings become default ones. Well, maybe you will edit this file yourself before launching the game, but what about less tech savvy players? If it’s ticked off by default, then that would mean you lose all your “extra” gear just because you had to reset the settings. Therefore, it must be turned on by default, implying it’s a “canon” feature recommended by the devs - which is not true by the way, at least currently.

Anyways, even if I were a dev, I would implement it as a semi-secret quest - much like The Hidden Path one. It would make you jump through a hoop or two, involve lore, and in the end the “stash” would present itself as some sort of “bag of holding”, or better yet, some sort of chthonic rift which you can enter and, well, store your stuff. Ideally, it must require some sort of fee. But such powerfull thing can’t just lie out in the open, now can it? Which means it must be somewhere off the beaten path, away from local yokels and other curious individuals. Which in turn means that players would become annoyed by the need to run on foot to said rift each time they need to store/retrieve items, and also by the fact this particular stash wouldn’t be available from the start.

I guess another option would be to just make it a separate paid DLC, but that would be just ridiculous and might as well just start a mutiny among the players because “devs charge money for something that was done by modders for free”, which reeks of some “big” game companies ::cough:: like Bethesda ::cough-cough::

At any rate, either implementation is just ugly in its own way. But my “expertise” isn’t worth shit, so I guess I just get myself lost? Kaybye!

2 Likes

legit think this glosses over what’s being said or tries to minimize/trivialize to an unreasonable degree
in essence what’s being said is you’re adding more points of failure “in between something”, and i’d speculate more complex points of then “critical” failure at that the way bugs or conflicts can chain - even if we ignore “pebcak”
^which might also already be part of the technical aspect why we’re not seeing a mere base stash expanding by 1-2-3-5-10 tabs let alone an “infinite” option or toggle option that would compound or complicate it even more (likely)

sure devs could “just fix it” or account for it in devs, but you’re then asking for additional resources to be spend on an optional feature to be maintained proper because it’s such an important aspect/bad point of failure to occur. For something that’s then perceived to be not needed by some players (“wasting” devs resources), something the devs from a design aspect is against (ie you’re making multiple requests in that singular request), and when it’s on a technical level not “needed” because tools or mods exist (*and Xbox players are then the sole counter to that)

it just comes off very “tunnel vision”'ish, i want more stash just implement more stash/heck “just” implement infinite stash, np…
there’s multiple aspects that’s just not given any consideration or ignored, from a seemingly "i just want this"perspective.
anyway that’s atleast how i read into Xande’s notion, but perhaps i’m biased :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I agree, I wouldn’t mind if the stash unlock was behind a quest like The Hidden Path. Something similar was suggested in the other thread.

Another option was just to be a separate game mode altogether, where you select main campaign/crucible/custom game. With an option to transfer saves and shared stash from vanilla.

As for your example of corrupted file - can’t comment on that, I am not that tech savvy and it never happened to me. Either way cases like that should be considered during the implementation.

And absolutely no-no to the separate paid DLC for the reasons you’ve mentioned.

Yeah, the warning idea was a quick shot without too much of a thought, but it was an answer to a surface-level question, so I feel it’s fair kind of trivialization. The point being - it is technically possible to implement the unlimited stash. And asking me about technical details of that is pretty odd. I am not a coder or a game dev, don’t expect technical answers from me. I think this place is pretty safe to share improvement ideas and experiences without requirement of attaching a design doc along with it?

The unlimited stash would obviously need UI overhaul, no doubt about it. But it’s not another devotion map level of complexity, it’s a more simple task (I imagine).

I fully acknowledge it’s infinitely easier said than done and Crate’s priorities and vision are Crate’s. Still, I’d love for them to give this a second thought. Disagree on ‘wasting resources’, though, it’s possibly the most demanded change by the players, implementing it would be hardly a waste. Most people don’t need the color-blindness modes, yet they are implemented. If some players don’t need the big stash - doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be scratched from consideration for those who ask for it. And I still believe it would get an overwhelmingly positive reception from most players.

Hard disagree on the tunnel vision part, as there have been multiple angles, experiences, ideas and debates provided by others and myself. Sure, it all boils down to either ‘I want big stash’ or ‘I don’t want big stash’ (and ‘I don’t want others to have big stash’), but there’s been more depth to both sides of the argument than tunnel vision.

I think it’s just the core of what we ask for is a reasonable request and those who oppose it go various ways to shake it - be it philosophical mental gymnastics or technical complexities, or use the existing tools angle. But the core is hard, so keep on trying :stuck_out_tongue:

i think these 2 sorta goes together, in terms of the infinite stash part(not just a mild extra stash tab part), you think it’s easy thus you also think it’s not an unreasonable request, neglecting to take into account both how complex it might be in itself, but also the added detail of ensuring it then works with minimal fail issues/bugs on top
and, that might be a huge part of the issue of making at reality, even ignoring the basic vision/design aspect.
Reason i speculate it might be potential big issue, is devs have stated technical reasons prior for stash expanding “the way GD engine is kinda jank”
you can even see parts of it in just some of the mods that merely expand the storage size of the existing windows where items can sorta “clip” out of bounds sometimes, stuff can easily bork in GD

1 Like

Hard disagree on your hard disagree.

What it boils down to is “I don’t want to fundamentally change how the game works” vs “I want my infinite stash and I don’t want to use easily accessible ready-to-go solutions and I don’t care that it will negatively affect someone else’s game”.

I’m not against you having your infinite stash. I’m against you changing my game to do it because you don’t want to use mods that already exist and already solve your issue.

1 Like

This was not aimed at me, but just to clarify- I never said anything about an infinite stash, nor want it (or need it). Seems obvious from what I said, but many people here are replying to voices in their head, and not what’s being actually said and written.

It’s not ‘your’ game. What does that even mean? How does the ability to buy extra chests or tabs change anything for you? You’re acting childishly irrational- write again, in a constructive manner, how that extra option negatively affects you.
Something more than ‘I don’t want it’, because in the end, it’s simply non-substantive on top of being something I didn’t ask about or care.

Not only external utility apps are a separate matter, but you’re also very clearly lying- there are no mods that expand in-game inventory in a natural, lore-friendly way. There are inventory-save editors that not only are overkill for what people want when it comes to inventory, but also come together with numerous additional, not-needed features people don’t want to see or don’t want to use for various reasons.
Some of these features border cheating, and in the end- using these apps is slightly more annoying and fiddly in the long run, as it requires a lot of managing saves, switching to different app, a lot of extra clicking and paying attention to not make a mistake and delete or conjure something unintended.
These are developer/god tools that have some features related to expansion to player inventory but are not a solution to the problem. Even if they were official.
Stop using them as a crutch and argument- it’s not.

Show me a mod that adds an extra few rows of tabs to the shared stash, or adds extra chests with a default number of tabs already existing in game (if for example there’s a hardcoded limit to their number).

If you don’t want to use something- don’t. How does the ability for other people to browse through a collection of pants and boots without having to swap characters and reload the game a few times impact and ruin/break your experience? Can you explain that and write anything substantial about this?

Why you’re not complaining about existing expansion options? 5 extra purchasable tabs is fine, but what, 9 would break ‘your’ game? Because of what, some people would enjoy the game more and waste less of their time, navigating through archaic constraints?
If you don’t need or use extra space- you won’t need even more of it. This thread is not for you then. Ridiculous.

1 Like

I think choosing which items to stash is part of the problem, that player is supposed to solve, so removing the limit does not qualify as QoL.

1 Like

Even though this may be true, it also may stop players from buying future content. And for the mods, GDStash is a pain in the rear end when you have a new PC and you haven’t played for a while (GDStash updated etc etc.). It will discourage some to get back into it when hundreds of their items sit in GDStash, and then again, it may stop them from buying the new content. The door swings both ways.

To answer your last question, because it’s easier to play something else than deal with an old GDStash database file.