Is there any inventory space expansion planned around FoA release?

@Gnomish_Inquisition
Sir, I am stopping this. You’re far beyond ‘merely suggesting my consideration’. Your behaviour is closer to the other end of the spectrum. All the efforts you’ve put into proving otherwise, prove the opposite. I do not need your ‘mere suggestions’.

Not gonna address any of that semantical debris of yours for reasons, but mainly because it derails the thread.

You failed to support your main argument and there’s no point in continuing.

@Everyone
Apologies, everyone, for being guilty of dragging the discussion away from the topic.

While I believe that the infinite stash would mean the final solution, in no way I am trying to dismiss what others have to say (with some well-earned exceptions obviously).

Thank you for the quote. Still, one can hope, speak up, listen and change mind.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, those reasons why where provided back when the game had only 6-8 classes. Now we will have 10 with a heap more items… I haven’t seen a recent statement that doesn’t just refer back to “already discussed” instead of considering the current/future context of the game.

1 Like

only regards to infinite storage,
as for regular stash expansion or even just the "single stash tab upgrade per expansion"trend there has been no official confirmation or rejection yet

that’s all there has been so far directly related to FoA stash stuff

2 Likes

Remember when Grim Internals was a thing? What will we do when the Devs can no longer update their 3rd party inventory management tool?

Grim Internals was an awesome tool for Grim Dawn that was created and maintained by a 3rd party. When Grim Dawn received an update, that 3rd party had to also update their code to make it compatible. When the 3rd party no longer updated Grim Internals, it became unsupported and on the following update of Grim Dawn it was broken. Fortunately the wonderful people at Crate created a Beta channel for the previous version of Grim Dawn for those of us who still wanted to use Grim Internals. For what it is worth, that love from Crate helped me to provide high quality detailed feedback when finishing my Beta Testing for the Reign of Terror Mod.

Now think about those 3rd party “Stash” tools… Don’t those also require updates when the game gets updated? What happens to all of your stuff when the 3rd party dev moves on to other things or is no longer available to provide updates. Keeping in mind these 3rd party tools are created and maintained for free, it could certainly happen.

So, wouldn’t it be better for everyone if the extra stash were baked into the game now instead of waiting for development of the 3rd party tool to become unsupported and no longer function?

I am not advocating unlimited stash! However, the wonderful team at Crate has added a lot of new items and classes to the game without substantially increasing the stash space in recent years. I have the personal opinion the game is due a storage update to help us out with stashing all of the extra content.

1 Like

Go back to manually moving/renaming the inventory files like we did before these tools.

Short answer, wait until someone else makes a new stash tool. There’s already one to replace GI for a lot of its features that Crate didn’t add to the game.

From a previous thread on this back in 2020

As I stated, I did Beta Testing for RoT. The stash space in that mod was wonderful and helpful. If you haven’t checked it out (and it’s still a thing), go check it out to see what they did. If they can do it then I fail to understand why it can’t be done in the base game, but that’s neither here or there…

At any rate, I was just sharing an opinion of mine. No additional replies necessary. I’ve posted my idea/opinion about storage for the Crate Dev team if they are interested. If they are not interested then so be it…

Oh yea, this post isn’t intended in any negative way. Much respect Medea!

100% droprate on target farmable MIs + this Twitch means you don’t really need to keep 1000s and 1000s of items for nicher and nicher builds.

You can just store whatever crafting material you need to do the affix switch, then go fetch your item and manipulate it whenever you need to. You don’t need to hoard perfect items for every level for every conceivable build when you can craft them.

My guess is that FOA will mitigate the need for a gigantic bank - you’ll only need space for non-craftable/transmutable legendaries, cash, and materials. [edit - and mandates/warrants/consumables]

2 Likes

A good observation, that should work to some extent.

Speaking for myself, I only keep quality rolled MI’s, so this change will not free up much of my stash/mule space, but I can see that as a significant space saviour for some players.

The largest bulk of my savings are end-game legendaries, sets and uniques since they don’t have affix RNG and are generally end-game viable. I throw away about 70% of that kind of loot (half of that is I’m fine with, the other half hurts a bit) and play mule tetris when I want to keep something.

I wish I could manage my stuff without going through the main menu and running to the stash NPC (without 3rd party software).

1 Like

Let’s be honest. No one wants to play the item management game in ARPG’s anymore. Item management is just time wasted while you should be playing the game. It was introduced decades ago and needs to be removed from all ARPG’s. No one enjoys spending hours of their time looking at and managing their items.

I would doubt that since GD is so old that we will be getting anything more concerning Stash Tabs, but going forward for maybe a GD 2, the developers need to re think wasting gamers time with the item game because most of us are over it. Diablo IV inventory was excruciatingly horrible. And I just want to play the main game, not the inventory game.

As others have noted, there is a mod that does all of this for you, which you very well know, so you should just use that for now. If you can’t figure out how to install GD Stash, then ask for help. It’s not very hard.

I’m pretty sure Last Epoch gets this, you get like 100 Stash Tabs, which removes th boring Item management part of the game for most people. I’m not a fan of Last Epocj, but they got that right. It’s time to remove that part of an ARPG.

1 Like

ed: you seem to talk about item management in a system designed like one in GD, not in general- you can disregard most of the comment below, I obviously agree with you. Wrote that before finishing reading your whole post :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t think there’s too much wrong with item management as long as it’s designed and handled well and smooth enough. It’s a part of the game and the fundamental level. As nice as lore and story, visuals or music are- that’s not what’s drawing people in and make them stick to it for hundreds of hours.
Loot is one of the pillars of those games, and not managing it would require making it meaningless (just fashion, and thus- heavily simplifying the general depth of the game) or greatly annoying and time-wasting part of the game- by introducing an extremely low limit of items in inventory and possibly removal of stash- so there’s no management besides ‘should I equip it now or press the salvage button’ (if there is one).

These games are big time sinkholes, and there’s not a lot to show for it besides plain enjoyment from moment-to-moment gameplay, character and inventory growths.
There are games that experiment with it. I like Victor Vran, great game. It features one slot for an armor-outfit. It fits that game, but personally, if I could choose I’d start with DnD design and go deeper. Two rings? I want to equip 5 at the same time. Armor? 13 separate slots, please.
There’s not that much less fun in putting together a loadout, as there is with putting together a build composition in the skill threes.

Itemization and inventory management can be done better or worse. Warframe is a fantastic example of smart design, where I hate the concepts behind Destiny, Anthem, a lot of one in Division, all recent games with that, like Suicide Squad (or Arkham Knights? They’re all crap anyway).
Borderlands is another example of style over substance- aggressively shallow console design with disregard for the M+KB inputs, and many other things + it’s just a background for a very worn out (even by the end of B2) item design, where picking and managing loot is a grating chore for 90% of the time.
I have no issues with items in Grim Dawn, or how inventory UX is designed, or GUI elements that support it. Everything is fast, clean, obvious, and in general- pretty.

Adding an option to purchase a bunch of stash tabs would be enough and solve this issue and silence voices asking for that since the early days of Titan Quest. People that don’t need them- won’t buy them. What’s objectively lacking here to make it happen?

And I’ve also explained why I’m not interested in using external utility tools, mods and item helpers. For various reasons, the main one probably being the things you’re complaining about- management.

It adds a lot to potential extra clicking and management outside of the game, and despite all their great features for the most part they’re overcomplicated way to do what’s possible already in the game.
I don’t want to dump and pull items out of the void at will. I want to have all f-in’ pants in one stash so I can glance over them- while comparing their stats and picking them to compliment my build, or just admiring them while satisfying the collectors itch many people have. These tools often completely destroy that feeling, and at best- make it more cumbersome and not worth the effort- I’d rather relog to check my ‘pants mule’.

Stash in Last Epoch is fantastic- it’s more or less PoE format but without the need to pay for tab colors, regrouping, new tabs… I’d kill to have it in Grim Dawn :face_with_spiral_eyes: It would be a blast. I still need to put more hrs into LE to make up my mind about it, but seeing* that inventory and stash was a big positive surprise.

It’s such a shame it’s being kept the way it was for decades, and most likely will be in the future.

*my honest reaction:
OH MY GOD (youtube.com)

1 Like

Strange. I do. I enjoy deciding what to keep and what to ditch as well as organising my backpack/stash.

It’s a game! An optional, fun activity. If you feel it’s wasting your time, then go do something else.

1 Like

Hey there’s something fun when you dig into the quotes there:

Zantai: I thought I’ve been pretty blunt about a possibility of a gdx3, hah. All things considered, FG did very well, but it just doesn’t make sense for the team and for the game to bloat things with a third expansion. A 10th mastery would just blow up items.

(yeh I dunno how you smartly quote parts of topics)

So while I don’t really have a stake in stash expansion or not (I use IA and mostly lament the lack of an ingame bestiary with moar lore), it seems that even years ago it was known that another expansion would present these issues.

Maybe the expansion won’t add too many items, but mostly allow you to play with existing ones? (affixes etc)
Or maybe there’ll be something done.

There’s also the new engine updates which seem to have rekindled desire for more content… or vice-versa. Anyway it’s great.

I always try to remember that most players are not insane hoarders like others are. I enjoy having thousands and thousands of items in IA, possibly others won’t. Good thing is that there’s allegedly a significant overlap between players who enjoy having thousands of hours and items, and players who are willing to mod their game - it’s true that it’s not a solution for everyone though.

I trust our boxed overlords to come up with amazing stuff anyway.

Everyone likes to decide what to keep and ditch Capitan Obvious. I’m talking about something completely different.

I paid for the game, I’ll enjoy playing it how I want to. It looks like discussing things is beyond your capacity.

And, The Developers and Publishers understand what myself and others are actually talking about here, which is why they Advertise GD Stash. So we can spend more time playing and being able to mess with our items on our time. Maybe spend less time trying to be an EdgeLord ?

I recommend re-reading our forum rules before more direct action needs to be taken, thanks:
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/faq

Fun fact: original scope for expansion 3 did not include a new mastery, but as development of it went on, we felt that a mastery simply provides so much value and hype that we had to figure it out. So after a few days in the spreadsheet mines and some depraved dark rituals, we figured out how to many it work.

7 Likes

I’d be hella excited for a deep dive into some specifics of the process there. Dunno which specifics. Some of them.

unsure if i’ve been spoiled by tools, but legit dont’ think i’d even want to manage 100 ingame stash tabs now, ex thinking back on using pluggy for d2 vs GDstash layered search features contra the basic ingame GD word search :sweat:
suppose that does bring up a potential additional point about the ingame UI and or (over?)simplistic search function implementation :thinking:

To LE’s credit, their inventory management is quite good. Not only can you get lots of stash tabs going, but you can sort them into custom-defined categories for free:

It’s one of the few things in the game that I can’t really say anything sour about.

2 Likes

“Coming to a Grim Dawn near you soon” mebe ? :eyes: