Items Color and Rarity - Full Explanation

***Post has been edited with latest comments and additions 2017-Feb-16 ***

Hi there,

I’ve been playing Grim Dawn for a while now, and I’ve read a lot about it on this forum and on others, which were very helpful.
However, I haven’t gone through a thread that is explaining in details the hierarchy and rarity of all items, associated with their own specific colors.

I am pretty sure most beginners are not aware of the complexity and diversity of the items in Grim Dawn , especially when it comes to MI’s, affixes, crafting or soul-bound items.

So let’s start with a simple association of ALL colors and items:

• Red Items => Consumables, Instant Constitution Healers
  • Light Orange Items => Blueprints, Recipes
  • Violet Items => Quest Items, Crafting Materials, Path Opener Materials, Notes
  • Orange Items => Common Components
  • Cream Items => Rare Components
  • Grey Items => Iron Bits
  • White Items => Common Gears
  • Yellow Items => Magical Gears
  • Green Items => Rare Gears
  • Blue Items => Epic Gears
  • Purple Items => Legendary Gears
  • Light Blue Items => Relics
  • Olive Green Items => Augments

The Violet items are not transferable between characters, as well as the Soulbound Items sold by the various factions in Grim Dawn. I’ll speak about those items later.

So the color coding is quite clear at first sight, although there might be some ambiguity/difficulty to differentiate some items from others (Quest items vs Legendary items, Common components vs Blueprints, Rare components vs Common gears…).
But this color recognition issue nearly disappears or becomes negligible when we use the Loot Filter at the bottom left of the screen.
Personally, I select the Green+ filter, and literally pick-up everything that drops.

When we look in details,however, at some specific color codes (such as the green color), we discover more differentiation within the color itself, and those differentiation are not at all self-explanatory.
Actually the green color items group gathers a bunch of various different kind of items, such as the Monster Infrequents, some faction items, some craftable items, and all the rare-affixes items. All those items are subject to différents mechanics, different drop rate and should definitely have different colors. Devs decided against even more colors to make these distinguishable and simply made them all green instead.

And this is where I want to dig in.

1) Affixes

In Grim dawn, when an armor, weapon, or any gears drops from a mob or is bought from a merchant (with the exception of the unique items that already have predetermined stats -> Epic & Legendaries), it has gone through a lottery process to determine its statistics (hence its power and rarity).

This lottery process randomly chooses from a list of prefixes and suffixes (affixes) that will add new stats to the base stats of the item.

Some prefixes are considered magical, and will have 1 to 3 average added stats lines each. They are rather common.
Some prefixes are considered rare, and will have 3 to 7 strong added stats lines each. They are pretty rare.

(List of affixes is available on https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items)

Consequently, this random process has got several possible output:

a. the common item has got no affixes - it will be considered as common
=> Incendiary Helm

b. the common item has got 1 magical affix - it will be considered as magical
=> Incendiary Helm of the Void

c. the common item has got 2 magical affixes - it will be considered as magical
=> Mighty Incendiary Helm of the Void

d. the common item has got 1 rare affix - it will be consider as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Helm

e. the common item has got 1 rare affix and 1 magical affix - it will be considered as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Helm of the Void

f. the common item has got 2 rare affixes - it will be considered as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Helm of Olerons’s Wrath

2) Monster Infrequents

In Grim Dawn, some items drop from specific mobs or heroes or bosses only, and are given some specific powerful statistics. Those items are either a powerful version of a common item:

=> Incendiary Helm becomes Incendiary Casque

Either they are unique to some specific foes in the game

=> Salazar’s Sovereign Blade

Those items are called Monster Infrequents (MIs) and always drop as rare items, even if they do not have any rare affixes. Though they might have affixes, like common items.

So they bring a new step to the rarity hierarchy of items with the following variations:

g. the MI item has got no affixes - it will be considered as rare
=> Incendiary Casque

h. the MI item has got 1 magical affix - it will be considered as rare
=> Incendiary Casque of the Void

i. the MI item has got 2 magical affixes - it will be considered as rare
=> Mighty Incendiary Casque of the Void

j. the MI item has got 1 rare affix - it will be consider as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Casque

k. the MI item has got 1 rare affix and 1 magical affix - it will be considered as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Casque of the Void

l. the MI item has got 2 rare affixes - it will be considered as rare
=> Menacing Incendiary Casque of Olerons’s Wrath

This last tier is commonly called “triple rare” or “triple green”. They are VERY rare. To give you an idea, the blue unique items drop much more frequently than the triple rare…

Knowing that, it is useful to know that other items only drop exclusively from mobs/bosses, but are not considered specifically MIs/Green/Rare. Instead they drop as regularly color-coded items (Alkamos’ rings, items from Sentinel, Mad Queen, …).

3) Faction Gears

In Grim Dawn, some factions offer gears for sale as soon as you are Respected by them. Those gears appear green (so supposedly rare). Some factions also sell some jewelry when you become Honored (rings, medals, amulets), and they appear blue (so supposedly epic).
This color code for the equipment sold by the factions can be misleading. Indeed, all of those items are Soul-Bound, meaning they cannot be shared between Characters. Moreover, those items will never receive any supplementary affixes. This brings more complexity to the color code understanding. Personally, I would prefer those items to be of another color, even if their power is close to most epic items.

4) Crafting

The crafting system in Grim Dawn is once again not really self-explanatory, and might add confusion to the color code and the rarity understanding.

When you have collected a fair amount of Blueprints and Recipes, you will find in the Forge Master catalog, several different crafting options with several different colors.

• Relics, it is actually the only place where we can get them from
  • Common Components and Rare Components, some of them can only be crafted
  • Consumables and Materials
  • Epic Items
  • Legendary Items

Then there are many yellow items and green items.

a. Yellow Items
Those items are not really items, they are the gambling part of the crafting system. In crafting one of those yellow items, you can absolutely get a double rare affix green item… at least, you will get a magical item with one magical affix. This is completely random.

b. Green items
Those items are either Monster infrequent items, either craftable factions items. And the good news is that they can get some affixes! But again, randomly.
However you can choose the base stats of the items, which are already generally rather nice. This system can give you very powerful items if lucky, despite the fact that those greens crafted items will only generate 1 affix (magical or rare).

5) Guaranteed rare - early Act 1

There’s a number of unique rare (green) items scattered across the early portion of the game. Most of these are found on a rotting corpse.
They are found on all difficulties, though higher difficulties give stronger versions.

All of them can drop with a prefix OR a suffix, not both.
They’re fairly easy to find if you know where to look and they can generate some really good affixes.

• Francis’ Gun
  • Hevill’s Greatsword
  • Olman’s Axe
  • Ghalvin’s Crossbow
  • Bernard’s Slightly-Chewed Buckler
  • Slithtongue
  • Karvor’s Conjuring Bone

For more info about those items and their location, see the thread below:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35639

6) Conclusion

To conclude, the green color code is the main topic of this post, as a green item can be of very very different quality from one to another, at the same level.

Let us take my first example:

=> those are the stats of the Menacing Incendiary Helm at level 20:

8% Fire Resistance
+5% Burn Damage
+8% Fire Damage
10% Damage Reflected
+12 Cunning
+10 Offensive Ability

=> and below are the stats of the Menacing Incendiary Casque of Oleron’s Wrath at level 20:

20% Fire Resistance
+8% Burn Damage
+8% Fire Damage
2-5 Fire Damage
10% Damage Reflected
+12 Cunning
+10 Offensive Ability
7% Pierce Resistance
+7% Physical Damage
+5 Physique
+7 Offensive Ability

Both items are green, considered as rare, hence of the same quality, although they are definitely not…

3 Likes

I am going to go out on a limb here and say, “Best first post ever!”

Thanks for the write up.

Very nice! Wouldn’t hurt to make this a sticky somewhere. :slight_smile:

Some additions:

Common items on the one hand and MIs on the other hand are those two basic types of items to which affixes can be added. Depending on these affixes, such an item is (or should be) called either common, magic or rare. Consequently it doesn’t make much sense to call all MIs simply “rare”, just because they happen to be green. Makes more sense to differentiate between common, magic and rare MIs, even if the devs decided against even more colors to make these distinguishable and simply made them all green instead. The whole concept and color coding of MIs is a bit messed up and conceptually not very nice. They should’ve given them either a new color (brown, for example) or make them white/yellow/green (according to their affixes) instead of reusing the green from the rares for all of them.

It should be added that crafting of a green item will never generate two affixes.

In general there are many items that are only dropped by certain types of enemies or bosses, so this is a characteristic that is not exclusive to MIs. This may confuse people (at least it did confuse me a bit), so a few words could be helpful about other items that are exclusive, too, and thus “feel like” MIs in this regard, but are nevertheless dropped as regularly color-coded items (Alkamos’ rings, items from Sentinel, Mad Queen, …).

Yep, I fully agree with you. The Green/Rare group of item is a “this item does not fit in any group so let’s just make it green” kind of group.
It is actually why I felt this topic was necessary.
Nevertheless, informing people about this sounds relevant, I’ll update the post with your input.

I did not know about this. Thanks. I’ll update the post accordingly.

I’m not sure to understand what you mean… I might be as confused as you were ! Are you speaking about the fact that epic items can be dropped by specific bosses only, such as Alkamos’ Dread & Alkamos Anguish, dropped by Alkamos only ?
If so, I agree with you that Alkamos’ Dread being a blue/epic item and Salazar Sovereign Blade being a green/rare item does not really make sense.
I assume this is because the game was developed over many years and the final release is full of this kind of contradiction.

Thanks for your contribution.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

There are even some legendary “pseudo” MIs (dropped from Anasteria, Sentinel, Mad Queen, and the Avatar of Mogdrogen).

Generally it’s a nice idea to have some epics and legendaries that behave like MIs in the sense that they can only be dropped by certain bosses (although I don’t think it’s a good idea to give them drop rates under 5%).

What I don’t understand is why all other MIs are green. MIs have a unique name, so you don’t need their color for identification. On the contrary, if an enemy is dropping rare items (with at least one rare affix) and MIs, you cannot tell these apart just by their color. Simply using a new color for MIs would’ve fixed this, but reusing the green from the rares is just confusing.

I believe that some gear is mob specific, not unique, and can be of varying quality (yellow, or green), like the fire shoulders from the arsonists. But some specific MI items can also vary in quality, like the mace and shield from the warden. I’ve seen both of those as green, and yellow, and possibly white. So the MI color may not be green because it’s an MI, but rather because of the affixs it has. I’m not sure, but they may not come in blue due to the specific nature of the blue item’s affixs.

Yes and no. Let me clarify, most gears are definitely mob specific, such as a couple of scepters that can be looted from specific casters, or some transparent gears that only drop from ghosts. Those common gears (such as the Bloodsworn Wand or the Sectral Broadsword) may drop with one or two additionnal affixes, which will change the rarity to yellow if those affixes are magical, or green if at least one of those affixes is rare (green). However the base item is still common.
MIs are basically the same in the sense that they drop from specific mobs/bosses but have just superior stats, and drop as green items even if they do not have any affixes. Some of those MIs are similar to common items in appearance but have a slightly different name ( such as the Bloodsworn Scepter or the Spectral Longsword)
Please check Graceful Dusk for a better understanding.

MIs are monster infrequent. Meaning they drop from specific monsters and are not frequent. An Incendiary Helm drops from specific mobs, I agree, but it is not at all infrequent. An Incendiary Casque drops from exactly the same specific mobs but is much more infrequent. Hence it drops as green even if it gets no affixes as any MIs do.

Blue items are unique. Meaning they do not get any affixes and their level is fixed. As opposed to MIs that can drop at various level, scaling with players levels or location.
However some unique blue item drop only from specific boss (such as alkamos rings or the sentinel hats). The same applies to purple legendaries items.

MIs do have affixes, their name does not reflect that however (but their stats do)

Yes they can have some affixes, but sometimes they don’t. They will always drop as green items anyway.
Thus I agree with you, it’s just my english which is not really good and makes me write tricky unclear sentences from times to times…

There are good information about games.

thx for the explanation!

I wished they would give double rares a different colour too…

ok thanks. that’s really awesome.

Wow you did a lot of effort here,

i can really feel the love in it:D

Thank you for such awesome explanation

I am a little confused about the meaning of “+10% fire (e.g.) damage” and the like. Does this mean, taking a magical thingy that does 100 damage without any magical effects taken into account:

a) if the thingy has no fire damage, then there is no additional damage - damage=100+0(fire)+0(+10% of 0 fire) = 100

OR if the thingy has an enchantment of “+20 fire damage”, then the damage would be 100+20(fire)+2(fire from the +10% of the 10 fire damage) = 122

b) if the thingy (etc) the dmg=100, +10% fire damage would make it 110.

OR (etc) dmg=100, +10% fire dmg=110, +20(fire) = 130,

OR dmg=100, +20 fire = 120, then +10% all damage = 132

(I hope I have made myself at least understandable :undecided: …)

I suspect that it as all applied to the base damage - i.e. 100+20+10=130. to quote:

The order does not seem to matter, or is it specifically in that order to tell you?

Simon

Feel free to treat +% modifiers as universal (works on everything related to that damage type). There are exceptions to everything, but it’s easier to keep track of these exceptions/special cases than the other way round.

Also,

a) if the thingy has no fire damage, then there is no additional damage - damage=100+0(fire)+0(+10% of 0 fire) = 100

OR if the thingy has an enchantment of “+20 fire damage”, then the damage would be 100+20(fire)+2(fire from the +10% of the 10 fire damage) = 122

It’s this.

+% damage applies on flat damage. 1000% of 0 = 0…

So you need to have flat damage somehow (weapons, skills, devotions…) to make use of your +% damage.

Just a couple of reminders :

1. All weapons deal Physical base damage by default, except caster melee weapons (daggers and scepters) that deal Magical damage by default.
    There are VERY FEW exceptions to this rule (e.g. Vortex of Soul).

2. Any flat or +% damages found on skills and their modifiers applies to the skill only. Obviously if the skill is a passive or an aura, then it applies indirectly to the character…

3. +% damage found on weapons or gears or devotions or components apply universally to any source of damage (except pets and retaliation that have their own damage structure) including :

• weapon damage,
  • magical or physical offensive skills
  • devotion procs that deal damage
  • gear procs that deal damage
  • auras & passive that deal damage

The order does not seem to matter, or is it specifically in that order to tell you?

Nope, it does not matter at all.

Many thanks to both Tyr and Bobymitch. Good to know - it means that some component additions (I am assuming that some component somewhere adds +x% (whatever) damage) would be useless, unless applied to a weapon (e.g.) that already did that damage. I must be more scrupulous!

Yes that is the principle.
However it is not entirely exact, for 2 reasons:

1. the +% damage on components also applies to skill.
    Example:
    Your char is a demolitionist, using ranged weapon with fire strike.
    Let’s say your ranged weapon deals flat physical damage + flat piercing damage. But no flat fire damage.
    You can still apply a searing ember (component) with +% fire damage to increase fire damage dealt by fire strike (skill).

2. when a component brings +% (type x) damage, it also always brings some (few) flat damage of the same type x. Check the link below to access the list of components and their specs.

list of components