Join us for a Dev Livestream 07/06!

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. Live steam = infogasm

1 Like

I kinda agree to this. I bet there will be a way in the future to turn this off. Or use the negative relic to make it more challenging

Relics and ‘spirituality’ were not fantasy, they were a very real part of Medieval life. Large numbers of people firmly believed in the powers of Relics and pilgrimages to places associated with relics and their owners supported what amounted to a major tourist industry. Go reread the Canterbury Tales for an example!

1 Like

yes yes , very real to get +20% damage from a ring or necklace pls stop it. i think my message is very clear to understand as it is about the game setting.
again - religion as a setting is ok you got temple , you can calm down after hard work with your faith , but not those spiritual bonuses and other things with kind of power etc. this is the same thing that mmorpg have - armor or weapon with stats +to this + to this to make your hero stronger , faster etc.
at least it is my opinion and i dont like this way FF will go. if you like - ok then.
ps if it will be optional like other things (wild animals, raiders etc) - fine for me, i like to play hardcore survival setting without infinite resources, miracles etc.
pls devs make it optional to deal with different styles that players play FF

1 Like

You could opt to just not use relics, if you don’t like them.

1 Like

ofc i can , not to use this , that, another things , then i can just do not play the game i bought. everyone can do anything , sure

This is correct. I think it would fit in the realism setting thought if the bonus was dynamic instead of static. So +% food would be a chance instead of always static. Not to get into a worldly spiritual discussion but religions definitely do have an impact on society and the way it works even more so in this “time period” but even all the work those religious leaders did results were variable. Probably getting too much into the weeds now though.

1 Like

Fun fact: real world religions have some crazy relics

2 Likes

I’m literally standing in the crypt of the York Minster right now, behold The Doomstone! Can’t wait to try all the new cool stuff you created when I’m back from holidays.

2 Likes

I understand an aversion to ‘fantasy elements’ in a game that graphically appears to be realistic, and definitely understand the reluctance to have to play a game you paid good money for without elements because the game went in directions you don’t like.

But to be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever played a game - board, miniatures or computer - that was everything I wanted and nothing else, unless I designed it and produced it myself. And even when I was part of a team doing that, we had to compromise some of our ‘vision’ in most cases for what would sell and at least make our time and money back.

Religion is a dicey addition to any game in any case, because the chance to Offend is huge and the potential fall out of people who are uncomfortable with the whole subject - with or without its ‘fantasy’ elements - is also significant. I applaud their decision to make ‘Spirituality’ Generic, in that no ‘real’ religion is represented and even the graphics are pretty bland compared to actual religious structures and emblems.

Like you, I am very leery of ‘fantasy’ elements, but as a historian, I am also aware of how very real and pervasive ‘fantasy’ elements have been in human societies, whether they were called religion, tradition or politics. A far as I have seen, the ‘fantastic’ bonuses they’ve added in the relics and spirituality elements are not game-breaking (I have noticed in my latest game that Shrines now provide much more Desirability than before with their Spirituality boost, but they also cost Gold to maintain now, so that sort of balances): nice to have, but many gamers have already built 1000 population Tier 4 cities without them, so they can be ignored if anyone chooses.

1 Like

Watched the VOD of the stream - really appreciate your open dialogue and fun atmosphere. You mentioned at one point doing more streams. Would love to see you do something on regular basis (monthly?) where you build a city and discuss options, strats, and answer general questions.

2 Likes

@Zantai Just wanna say Congratulation for the cool stream, really enjoyed it!
But furthermore i wanna say Thank You for so many years of dedication to Grim Dawn and now Farthest Frontiers. Because of people like you (and of cours Arthur Bruno + Team) who are passionate about their games, i do not have to deal with a lot of newer games, who have many issues despite a big budget/company behind it.
The way Crate Entertainment makes games just amazes me and a lot of other studios could learn from you guys!
All the best and health for the future and can´t wait for the Grim Dawn News :wink:

Will there be pathways like bridges and tunnels in banished?

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not before full release of the game.

"As for docks/bridges, water gameplay is actually a lot more complicated than you’d think in our setup. It’s something we’ve experimented with during development but ultimately decided to shelf for the time-being.

It’s a mechanic we will likely revisit, but it may have to be some kind of water-themed DLC as the tech and features necessary would be a major undertaking that’s not likely to fit the timeframe for the base game."

Is the water-themed DLC still far into the future ?

Yes. Won’t happen before full release of the game and that’s still some 5-8 months away so Zantai said in the dev stream.

1 Like

Hi there,
is there any video to have a look on the new features in 0.9? Could you please post a link? Thx and good play

Crate’s youtube channel has the stream.

Also

Thx. Great!

The thing I’m most excited about from the stream is the intention to add official mod support. The current game is already a very solid foundation, so the ability to add to and tweak it will really create almost unlimited potential.