Laborer issues

Loving the game, 550 population town going great. One thing that has bugged me and has felt off the whole run is the amount of laborers needed/the warning. I have 51 laborers and it “Isn’t enough.” But when I click through them, most of them are idle and cannot work. It obviously doesn’t need to be the same as other city builders where you just need to keep a pool of 7ish extra people at all times. But I feel like the percentage maybe a bit too high/not useful.

Personally, I don’t work 24/7…
Laborers do shoping, go to the bowling, eat, and then have some sleep… :laughing:

I think there are some critical population numbers where you need a lot of stuff for the 500 people, but the amount of people to get it is not enough. I remember losing 50 people when i had 550 - this made me cut off almost all the guards and industry to get enough free labors. Now with 900 people there are plenty of everything.

I can see that the number could be higher than in other games. I just think that maybe the dial should get turned down 1-2 notches. I’m not suggesting to change it too much.

“losing 50 people when i had 550”…
Never ever had this issue myself. All linear.
Maybe your growth management ?

I haven’t been playing this game for too long, so certainly not speaking as any kind of expert, but I believe the number is only a suggestion, and could vary hugely depending on what you have the labourers doing.

In a previous game I had a little under 500 villagers, with over 80 labourers, and no one was even removing the dead from the streets and taking them to the graveyards. I tend to have minimum and maximum storage limits for all my markets, store houses, and root cellars, so many labourers are tied up just shuttling goods from place to place as needed. I wasn’t getting the warning that I needed more labourers, but in addition to the issues with the dead, construction wasn’t getting done because no one was available to clear lands, and other issues were arising from a lack of labour.

So while I would guess the system is just programmed with what is considered a fair percentage of the population to be assigned to the labour pool, the actual needs will really vary by each person’s individual game and play style.

Cheers

Once again, never had this problem myself.
To me, it looks a lot like too much work assigned. What I meant with "growth management ".
Once you are in the "red zone ", hard to get out from it, workers go crazy; and yes, storage limits are touchy !!! :crazy_face:

@machin I think you missed my point. It’s not a “problem”. It’s a choice of how to play the game. I simply assigned more labourers to catch up on a few things needing done. I wasn’t in any red zone. My point to the OP was simply that the system seems to recommend a number, but that number isn’t necessarily what you will or won’t need based on your particular play style. Best advice I have is to assign as many or as few as you feel you need for the type of settlement your designing/running, and don’t worry about the recommended number unless you’re seeing an issue in your own settlement.

Cheers

1 Like

Ok. I finally got your point. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.