Leech on skills with %WD

If my understanding is correct - yes.

But 22%WD * 45%adcth * 2 projectiles = ~20% WD worth of adcth.

I.e. - if I have 100 flat damage, I’ll lifesteal 20 hp

I’m of course ignoring life leech res

@ceno - would the above be correct? or am I once again spouting crap?

It kind of depends on the way you think of the math, but the more intuitive approach is to argue that the flat gets 2.2% ADCTH.

There had been some long-standing falsehoods about the way the mechanic works, in part due to game-guide irregularities and whatnot. But essentially what happens is that you can think of % Weapon Damage as being a stat that is a composite of all the (offensive) stats on your character sheet added into one line to keep things succinct. In other words, your flat Physical, your flat Bleed, your flat Pierce, etc., including other effects like Chance to Stun, ADCTH, and Health Reduction. These stats then apply howsoever they’re relevant to the rest of the skill, which usually isn’t that much except for ADCTH.

So, in your example, you have a skill with 22% Weapon Damage and you have 10% global ADCTH. That essentially means you get 22% of 10 (or, easier, 10% of 22) ADCTH for all the damage that skills deals. Now, yes, that means that you technically multiply the damage dealt by 0.022 to get the health returned, but it’s not 0.022% (or 0.00022).

Right, I messed up with the %. smh.

That’s correct as far as I can tell.

1 Like

That’s literally what i said but in fewer words. Not sure where did you get confused.

To comment on what was said in that very old topic bo Korsar:

And there is even a proof in a screenshot (although i can’t quite see what exactly has happened there).

Here is my small experience. I’ve made a testing build with FS almost fully leveled throughout the line. The damage was absulotely huge. HOWEVER. I was dying a lot because of pathetic leech. Why? Because my WD with dual Stormhearts was very low WITHOUT Abominable Might proc. With it the leech was fine. For me that was a clear proof that global adcth applies ONLY to the WD part. Apparently this rule might not be universal…

Easy way to tell - remove skill points in nodes on static strike, brimstone, etc. and see how it impacts adcth.

It seems weird for it to be inconsistent.

Maybe it could be due to your very low %ligthning damage on the spec?

After all, you were stacking flat damage over %damage in that build iirc

To expand on it. A decent DW FS build has what around 500k dps after RRs and WPS?

If global adcth (lets say it’s 12%) was applied to the full dmg, the char would be leeching at the rate of 60k health per second. 0.2 sec to leech from 0 to full. We all know this is far, far from being the case…

Could it be due to life leech res, fumble pools, CC’s, etc?

Yes. 90%+ life leech res is pretty cool.

The thing is, this is literally the first time i see such problem: huge dmg and no leech. As it so coincedentially happens, this is the first time i have a build with relatively low WD. Other FS builds, including lightning based, but with normal WD, performed well.

My guess is the lack of %damage then.

In essence, your converted flat damage is being multiplied my both FS, and ES (note that explosive strike is a skill which will NOT be affected by transmutor level modifiers - i.e. it’s akin to soulfire).

That’s the reason why your sheet DPS is bonkers.

But the inherent flat damage on the FS line itself doesn’t benefit from the %WD mulitplier, only by %lightning damage.

Well it’d be worth considering that the % WD on Explosive Strike wouldn’t benefit from Static Strike, Fire Strike, or Brimstone’s flat damage. ES is a secondary skill - not the thread to discuss what that means, but the tl;dr is they don’t “behave” with other modifiers.

Without seeing your build it’d be hard to judge how impactful that is, though.

Edit: Also, Damage Modification doesn’t amplify leech (anymore), so there’s that.

What did i tell you m8? :stuck_out_tongue:

Get dat %lightning damage up <3

@banana_peel: I was just teasing you man! I’m in no position to mock any one for failed experiments. I’ve got too many myself. :rofl:

1 Like

Wait…wouldn’t that make PB broken?

I know that, that was just a test to see if it’s worth to give up item slots for caping the line.

But in the end the dps of FS was high. Not only sheet dps, it was killing stuff fast. But the leech was pathetic. I just had no other explanation to it.

Yes

Why are you opening this spoiler? I just answered your question.

2 Likes

FInal comment i swear. So i had SR set with that FS build and i was dying (lol). I changed it to Justicar SPECIFICALLY to get the flat injected into WD. My dps didn’t get high. But i started leeching normally. And now it’s a playable spec. Going from SR set to Justicar. How?

EDIT: Yes, the spec effectively has +500% fire dmg completely wasted because it’s lightning base. And it had more +% dmg from SR set. But it was dying.

Yes. Any skill gets additional ADCTH by the formula [%WD on skill(capped at 100%)]*[your total global ADCTH%]. This additional ADCTH acts absolutely the same to implicit ADCTH on skill (like ADCTh on Drain Essence, for example), and applies to ANY direct damage.

I didn’t know about this. Was this from malawiglenn’s guide?

Yes, he added this to his guide too. It’s a core game mechanics.