List of suggestions

Point is not everything is suppose to come supper easy in this game. Maybe on lower difficulties resources last longer or something. I think with the recent upgrades the shoes are fine. Most towns needed to bring in pelts for trade. If you don’t need to trade for anything what’s really the point of the trader other than gold and only to sell. That’s not realistic at all.

Except it doesn’t take you 1 year to walk across a small town which is why you can
not compare it to real life. I’m basing the life span on in game time and distance not
real world time and distance. You said it yourself you walk A LOT in 2 years
not just across your town a few times. More like 100+ times worth so what you said
actually proves the life span is too low.

I have to buy ALL pelts and shoes and jackets to keep it going.

Buy better shoes. My good shoes have lasted 10 years and I wear them every day. lol

of course not but you should not need 20 hunters and 15 barns either lol
Furthermore, that brings MASSIVE meat spoilage which I commented on
above as a sign that it is not balanced. Like I said above I have 7 hunters
for the pelts, not the meat. That meat is all spoiled. In real life you do not
kill 1 cow to get 2 shoes and nothing else. (and should not be that way
in game world either)

what do you think me using the word BALANCE meant above? lol
It didn’t mean make the game easy.

1 Like

False equivalence. The game, like most games, works on variable time-scales: animations move at one scale, crops grow and seasons pass at another. Going by the speed of the villagers, no clothes or shoes would wear out for most of the game. Going by the seasonal time scale, they should need new shoes and linen clothes every two years.
Pick whichever scale suits your argument, but for the game to have any reason to continue replacing shoes or clothes, the seasonal scale works better - once it’s balanced with availability of raw materials.

Which I don’t really think will take much. My current game, I’m at just over 900 population, and 6 upgraded barns and 9 hunters (5 Upgraded with traps) provide enough Tallow and Pelts for about 90% of the candles and 75% of the shoes required to keep everything at 100%. I have to buy ‘extra’ pelts from the Trading Post every 2 - 3 years depending on how much they offer (so far it’s never been less than 100 pelts, but sometimes it goes 3 years with no offering at all, so I buy everything I can).
Investing in more Barns or more hunters only works so far, and not far at all on maps lacking lots of at least semi-fertile flat land for pasturage. That leaves us relying on the Trading Post, which is just, at the moment, not optimal.

Again history dictates that a town, unless heavily industrialized into producing pelts would import. Cows produce much more meat than leather by weight, volume, mass anyway you cut it. To say it’s not balanced again would be referencing the fact you are simplifying what you feel is correct than what is historically accurate. There was a post a while ago stating historically a overwhelming number of laborers were needed to upkeep with shoes making for cities of this time period. Similar with leather/pelts. Massive trapping operations were conducted to fuel the pelt trade in similar times.

I just want to say, from the perspective of a live farming family, your barn is way off. Settlers made use of every tiny bit of food production they had. Cattle did NOT it the grain except for last resort. The would eat the straw and the silage (root vegetables, leafy greens gone bad). If you want to include the ‘straw’ then make an alotmant from the grain production grain and straw. Also your birthing rate for cattle is way off. 1 bull can easily service 20 heifers and I doubt with them having unlimited service time that the birth rate would be under 50% even in settler times.

1 Like

right that is what you did comparing real life to the game

No I didn’t simplify. You did. You made the basic claim
“Point is not everything is suppose to come supper easy in this game”

in response to us saying we would need to increase hunters and barns
and me pointing out the meat amount is massive if you do that and thus
the spoilage so it is NOT as easy you thought and that is twice you refuse
to acknowledge that.

Now you are doing a straw-man since I never once said a thing about “historically accurate”
that is nonsense you made up. In fact I said the exact opposite and said it is in game time
and distance and has nothing to do with real life.

You do realize that the shoes and many other items have been adjusted 3 or 4
times right? So where were you 6 months ago when the amount was too high
and life span too long? (shoe life span was 10 years and 1 pelt got you 8 shoes)
They over adjusted simple as that and it has NOTHING to do with real life.

When we were complaining back then it was too easy and we were drowning
in pelts and shoes where were you then? My guess is you were not even playing
since you never said a word. It was because we said it was too easy they cut the
life span and amount you get from 1 pelt but they went too far. There
has never been a link to real life here. It has always been about in game balance.

Any time someone brings up real life it is in the general sense. Like why
isn’t the glass being recycled etc… even though in game odds are that is
never gonna happen.

Exactly and why I brought up that increasing hunters and barns is not the answer.
The spoilage is already crazy high. 1 pelt get just 2 shoes and all the meat
is spoiled is not in balance. (in game balance)

Lol you call me a straw man as you before state your shoes last 10 years. Hello kettle. If you want to argue it’s imbalanced go ahead. Just don’t try to base it off anything scientific or mathematical because that would be obviously false. Not sure why your getting so emotional about someone arguing against a shoe buff.

Keep things civil please.

Couple of things.

Comparing the game mechanics to historical or personal experience is not false equivalence. The game is not marketed as Complete Fantasy or Science Fiction, so unless it is utterly chaotic and thus unplayable, there is some kind of historical antecedent to the game mechanics.
I will, therefore, never apologize for or stop making historical comparisons in a game that borrows from historical precedents for its graphics and in-game mechanics.

BUT that does not mean that utter ‘realism’ (whatever that might be) makes a Good Game. Dog knows, I’ve played ‘simulations’ that subordinated everything in the system to exactly reproducing the ‘real life’ situations and effects, and Never Again. The term ‘bad game’ was meant for those, no matter how much they might appeal to some (mostly, I submit, they appeal to people trying to gather information about something by ‘simulating’ it somehow: more power to them, but life’s too short for little ol’ me to join them)

So, the game, to be playable, has to show some faint resemblance to what we Think should happen, but also provide both reasonable challenges to be overcome by our actions and challenges that are possible to overcome without resorting to the same solution time after time, which makes any game Dull.

So, relying on the Trading Post may even be ‘realistic’, but to have to resort to it in every game is simply bad design for replayability. Output of resources from local means (barns, hunters, etc.) has to somewhat resemble both what we feel it should be (more pelts/leather from one half-ton cow than 4 shoes’ worth) and should be balanced so that there are in-game, on-map solutions or partial solutions for the problems of production inherent in any city builder/survival game.
Honestly, I don’t think the game is quite there yet, but it’s very, very close.
I just got my first town to 1000 population (I keep trying new maps after getting to about 500, so it’s taken me a while) with all materials and resources provided, but it was a real stretch to provide some of them continuously, relying on the Trading Post was not consistently possible, and this town was on a pretty benign map (Lowland Lakes). That’s the background I’m coming from: I don’t think at its present state of resource/requirement balance the game is ready for over 1000 population on some of the less-friendly maps and situations for most gamers without frustrating them out of the game.

1 Like

I never have enough laborers and builders till I hit about 130ish population. I turn off my farmers ,Trader, and foragers during the winter to get caught up on things and still have to adjust worker numbers at the saw mill and other places during the rest of the year to get things done. Is there a way to set when they repair them like when they reach 89% durability set them to repair Immediately ? If not that would be a feature I would like to see. Thank you for the reply.

You can mark a building for immediate repair. Click on the building and then choose the icon that sets that. Sounds like you’re trying to expand too quickly though, try not to build too much too early in the game.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.