Lokarr Kill/Farm guide (DK/BM) (New Players)

This guide is dedicated to new players looking to get their first Lokarr set, and players looking for an efficient way to farm pre-Crucible

I’ve been playing Grim Dawn for about 2 months now, with approx 500 hours in game. I finally got to Lokarr a week or so ago and hit a brick wall. I turned to the forums and youtube for help and found some good content… but the content was for a character I wasn’t playing.

The current content out for Lokarr is fantastic, but it’s suited for someone that has clearly been farming items for a long time and has a wealth of inventory. I think as anyone playing this game has figured out… this takes time, and isn’t something that you just get overnight. I don’t have the luxury of slapping together an endgame viable pet build to farm Lokarr, because i just haven’t found the items for it yet. I assume if you’re reading this, you’re in the same predicament.

If you’re in that position too, and you’re like me and went for the Krieg set since it’s endgame viable and you’re able to deliberately and reliably farm it, this guide for Lokarr is for you.

Now to be clear, this is an END GAME boss, so if you’re just now getting to level 100 your journey has just begun and you’ve got a way to go.

There’s some AMAZING farming route guides that I suggest you follow, but my personal favorite is Twin Falls and Arkovia Undercity.

So let’s get into the guide!

YOUTUBE VIDEO OF HOW TO DO THE QUEST TO GET TO LOKARR

YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE FIGHT USING THE BELOW DESCRIBED STRATEGY

GRIM TOOLS LINK FOR THE BUILD USED IN THIS GUIDE
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9qo9WV

Gear:

It’s the usual Krieg w/ Mindwarp and i like Will of the Living for the shield option. The pants are what you have available, for me it’s wraithborne for now since the stats line up with what i need.

Alternative to the Mindwarp is a MI from Theodin Marcell, named Heart of Theodin Marcell. I farmed mine in Elite, so you do NOT need to farm this in Ultimate to get same i-level and quality.

Alternative to the Will of the Living is Mythical Untouchable and a green shield found when farming Krieg set through Terrnox by killing the Aetherial Colossus and it’s named Colossal Fortress. I’ve even seen some builds use this shield as a mainstay.

The relic isn’t a deal breaker, but i suggest Haunt at the least. Same goes for rings, amulet, belt and medal. Just use what you got. These items are not deal breakers and can be a variety of options, but obviously the better you have the better you’ll do.

Inventory and Potions:

This is one of the most critical parts of the guide. I have killed Lokarr approximately 40 times now, and have done some testing with potions. I wanted to know “What is the least amount of potions i can use, but still get the kill”

Unfortunately for me, the answer is “I have to use them all”.

So let’s talk about these non-negotiable potions:

Flamedrinker Ointment - Fire resist overcap. The crafting materials are Aether Crystal and Molten Skin (scavenged plating, searing ember, bristly fur).
I farm Aether Crystals going from Warden’s Lab Rift and walking opposite direction of boss, there’s about 9 Aether Nests (??) available and all within less than 1 screen of each other.
Molten Skin is easy as long as you’ve been collecting materials during your play. The bristly fur is what i run out of, but thankfully you can craft it. I prefer to collect it on my way to SOT runs through Broken Hills Rift and also while i farm Ugdenbloom areas from Wendigos.

Royal Jelly

Royal Jelly Balm - Royal Jelly, Health Potion, Corpse Dust
Royal Jelly Essence - Royal Jelly, Mutagenic Ichor
Royal Jelly Extract - Royal Jelly, Elixir of Spirit, Corpse Dust
Royal Jelly Ointment - Royal Jelly, Health Potion, Corpse Dust
Royal Jelly Salve - Royal Jelly, Health Potion, Corpse Dust

I’ve tried a kill by leaving out 1 of each of the above and while some kills were do-able… it was rougher and riskier than need be. I suggest using all 5.

The materials aren’t hard to get, especially if you’re like me and you farm the pants off Twin Falls. There is an area in Twin Falls named Swarming Hive. There’s a boss and a chance for 3-6 Elite enemies to farm which all have a chance of dropping Royal Jelly. If you’re just starting out at level 100 and farming for legendaries, this is a fantastic area to wash, rinse, repeat.

Also, Arkovia Undercity, an area in Twin Falls next to the Swarming Hive. Great area to farm up Corpse Dust that has 3!! bosses to kill for legendary drops.

Also, SOT runs net a lot of Corpse Dust, Legendaries, and other materials and items.

Mutagenic Ichor is also collected on any of these farm routes.

Health potion and Elixir of Spirit can be bought from vendors.

Lastly of course
Healing Potion
Elixir of Spirit

Skillz That Killz

Starting with Devotion, non negotiable for me are Aeon’s Hourglass and Ghoul.

The other Devotion options i’ve selected are personal preference, but tried and true. Honestly i’ll admit Behemoth is a little overkill… but since i’d rather be safe and secure a kill than to die and take a loss of time and take the loss of a round of potions (crafting materials), i go with Behemoth.

The remainder of my picks are what i feel represent a good mix of offense and defense.

Skills are pretty typical Battlemage picks, but to quickly hit the heavy hitters:

Mirror of Ereoctes is a big plus to picking Battlemage as your class. This is a free 3 second invulnerability. I will talk more about this in the strategy section.

Overguard is a nice boost to defense, but doesn’t help out much against the elemental damage Lokarr is throwing your way. I like the anti-stun measure and damage absorb this brings to the table.

Cadence our auto attack. Not much to be said here.

The remainder of the skills are personal preference, but typical staples in any DeathKnight or Battlemage build.

Speaking of DeathKnight, this build remains identical with gear and potions and still functions. The strategy is a tad tougher without Mirror of Ereoctes though.

For DeathKnight, i like this build : http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78280
and this setup
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jqK4qN

Credits to Veretragna

Strategy

Please Read Carefully

YOU CAN NOT FACE TANK LOKARR

You will need to play cat and mouse while using your Devotion abilities and Class Skills.

Now with that being said, perhaps my build is still in it’s infancy and perhaps i have changes to make that would make it possible to face tank. However, as is, following this guide, you will not be able to face tank.

So first off, getting to Lokarr is straight forward and if you need a guide for the quest and getting there please view this video:

The pre-fight is straight forward. Take the teleport to the arena, then stand still.

Pop all 6 potions.

Then walk forward.

1. I start with locking on with Cadence and use Blitz to get close
  2. Then i use Overguard, Aether corruption, and Haunt
  3. Pop 1st Mirror of Ereoctes
  4. Use Callidor’s Tempest and Krieg’s Wrath

Now, this is important. Kreig’s Wrath for me activates Time Dilation for cooldown reduction. DO NOT USE THIS UNTIL YOU POP Mirror for the first time. This helps get Mirror back up ASAP

1. Wait out Mirror of Ereoctes. Keep fighting and rotating through skills.
  2. At some point, your health will drop and Ghoulish Hunger will activate. Ride out Ghoulish Hunger (you can see it above your skill menu at the bottom) and when you see Ghoulish Hunger reach 1-2 seconds left, you should have your 2nd Mirror available.

IMPORTANT - if 2nd Mirror is NOT available, time to start the game of cat and mouse.

1. Pop 2nd Mirror. Once 2nd Mirror completes, you are now out of defensive options to guarantee preventative death. Run.

39 second mark in the video

This video is a fantastic example of the cat and mouse game i’m describing.
At 39 Seconds you’ll see the player run to the side of the arena and recover. Now this player isn’t doing our build or setup, but the concept is the same.

1. Rinse and repeat. Once you are safely at the side of the arena, wait for Lokarr to pop up. Lock with Blitz and Cadence, pop Overguard/Haunt/Aether Corruption, then 3rd Mirror, followed by Callidor’s Tempest and Kriegs Wrath for cooldown reset.

2. Once 3rd Mirror is down, you have 2 options. Run to the other side of the arena or stay and fight with above rotation and pop health potion within reason. If you stay and fight and use health potion, RUN after using health potion. You are out of defensive options after Health Potion is used at this time.

3. Run to opposite side of arena. Wait for Lokarr. Lock on. Pop Mirror. Once Mirror runs out, you should have guaranteed Ghoulish Hunger back. Fight through Ghoulish Hunger, then run back to the opposite side and repeat the above rotation of Mirror/Health Potion/Run.

Repeating this 4-5 times, you’ll have a guaranteed kill with no deaths. This ensures you are getting a 1:1 ration of potion sets to kills.

VERY IMPORTANT
DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR HEALTH TO BE LOW TO RUN.
RUN AWAY WHILE STILL AT AROUND FULL HEALTH!!!

If you run away with low health, you will most likely die.

[CREDITS TO XERVOUS]

If you’re looking to expand on the build and increase your tanking ability and decrease your kill time, consider this valuable advice from Xervous:

1. Overcaps. He shreds your resistances by at most 40. Dealing primarily fire and physical those are the most important. Overcap fire by 40 and have some means to mitigate physical if you can’t stack phys res. The vendor in Steelcap District sells colossal bulwarks, get one with a Durable prefix and it’s in excess of 20% phys res on your shield alone, over 30% with a good roll (the prefix comes up frequently). I’d be wary of potential affixes on Lokarr’s weapon and pad pierce res if possible given he can equip swords with armor piercing.

2. Defensive ability. Crits hurt, get enough DA so you don’t get crit. DA of 3k is ideal.

3. Sustain. You’re taking damage, you’ll need some means to keep yourself topped off.

4. Lightning overcap is recommended

Why Lokarr

At this point in your Grim Dawn career, you most likely have dabbled in the Crucible, beaten the game, and farmed SOT and other random areas.

Maybe you’re tired of the time investment for 1 legendary through SOT.

Maybe you just can’t seem to find the gear all these hot Crucible Guides talk about for 100-150 or 150-170.

Maybe you just don’t want to play the Crucible.

Lokarr, using my method above, can be done in 4-5mins per run. This time frame includes the run to Lokarr, the kill, and the looting.

The 2 chests after defeating him have about a 50% chance to drop 1 Legendary, and about a 20% chance to drop 2 Legendaries (I’m pulling these numbers out of thin air from my 40~ runs experience so far). This leaves a 30% chance of no Legendary drop.

So with these calculations, on average per hour, you’ll net around 7-10~ legendaries per hour with 12 runs/hour, to also include Blueprints.

If you compare this with Crucible runs, I see a lot of guides lately with claims of 8min runs on average, so certainly Crucible runs are vastly superior to this farming method. However, you aren’t going to hit the ground running with these Crucible builds. You’re going to have to farm the builds first. So I consider this Lokarr farm concept a “stepping stone” to get to the ability to farm the Crucible if that’s your end goal.

I’ve done a lot of research and spent time looking at a lot of farming guides, and they all tend to point towards Crucible 150-170. However, I struggle to find the guides on how to get to this end goal. So my hope with this guide is that it helps newer players find stepping stones and time efficient ways to get to their end game goal farming method, whether it be Crucible or not.

Thanks for reading, and good luck.

5 Likes

There are a few main things you need to address for Lokarr

1. Overcaps. He shreds your resistances by at most 40. Dealing primarily fire and physical those are the most important. Overcap fire by 40 and have some means to mitigate physical if you can’t stack phys res. The vendor in Steelcap District sells colossal bulwarks, get one with a Durable prefix and it’s in excess of 20% phys res on your shield alone, over 30% with a good roll (the prefix comes up frequently). I’d be wary of potential affixes on Lokarr’s weapon and pad pierce res if possible given he can equip swords with armor piercing.

2. Defensive ability. Crits hurt, get enough DA so you don’t get crit

3. Sustain. You’re taking damage, you’ll need some means to keep yourself topped off. Attack damage converted to health is the obvious solution.

Thank you so much for the extra information and taking the time to read my guide!

Yes, i agree these are very important points to consider.

The Fire potion addresses the specific Fire overcap needs. The DA comes from gear choice and augment/add-ons/skills/Devotion.

Sustain comes from life leach from Ghoul devotion and the Jelly Potion’s purpose is exactly sustainability while running and fighting.

Glancing again at Lokarr’s grimtools entry reminded me you also need a lightning overcap. The DA in the build you provided is too low. Accounting for his ability to shred DA you’re going to be looking at a target of 3k+ for crit immunity, possibly more to pad in case he spawns a high OA weapon.

While i agree this is fantastic information for precaution, the build i have provided and methods above are enough to guarantee kill and avoid death. I want to stay away from language such as “if you don’t have X DA you can’t do this” and stick to least possible requirement to get you through the content.

Adding these extra pieces of the puzzle would be fantastic to allow more tanking and faster kills though! I also appreciate your added research and if you’re okay with it i’d like to update this information into the guide.

My target goal is to get newer players through the content and farm it with the lowest requirement possible to start farming as soon as possible.

I have also updated the original post with a youtube video showcasing the fight and tactics i describe.

While this is interesting I really want to see how non-shield (tanky) builds do against this guy. I’m currently leveling a saboteur but will still take a long time to get to ultimate and endgame content like lokarr. I want to see how my pretty tanky variant of a dw build does against lokarr.

Nice to see this topic. My Krieg Battlemage with a fire resistance potion is my go-to build for a simple Lokarr tank-and-spank.

Just letting you know that you have 2 extra points in Reckless power. Ingame it will still show as 22/12, but if your GT link is correct then you have 24/12 in it instead. You can use those 2 points elsewhere.

For lokarr it’s safer to go with shield. I know only 1 sabotuer that can do lokarr. I think.

Oh, stop it, you :3

Jokes aside, this is a nice niche guide. I suggest to add some words about flat absorption. Lokarr deals 3 major types of damage: burn, life reduction and flat damage, be it fire or lightning. Any class based on Inquisitor can facetank him standing on Seal because burn is completely absorbed by Seal and life reduction is weakened by Seal. For those who can’t have Seal I suggest Phoenix and/or Prismatic Diamond. If your damage output is enough, you have Ghoul and Prismatic Diamond, you can burst kill him even before he summons a clone.

1 Like

Here you go.
Mentioned Warpblade in DW variation can do this relatively safe, for most safety you’ll probably need Prismatic Diamond. I did it without Diamond because I can.

Thank you so much for reading my guide!!

and thank you for your deathknight build. I am still working on mine and collecting the pieces, but some day i’ll have one like yours.

I agree, this is a niche build for people looking for stepping stones to get to higher reaches of the game for farming.

Hey, that’s not bad. Lokarr has great loot droprate for its time expenses.

I think I will be able to do this with my saboteur when I finally reach that stage. I believe I have a great devotion setup with multiple defensive strats.

• 4 absorption sources (blast shield, phoenix, turtle, prismatic diamond)
  • dodge chance @ around 50%
  • as high da as possible with armour (build is work in progress so don’t wanna say anything yet)
  • probably mark of divinity just to be safe
  • blade barrier and eather clusters for emergency scenarios

I just took the jabrixone’s build and rearrange the devotions a bit to my liking and for killing lokarr:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAOQRBN

What do you guys think? I’ll do my build a little differently, but I think those devotion options should be pretty solid for a squishy saboteur. I could go for the tree of life instead, but I think those 3 nodes from menhir’s should be a better defensive option. Yea I lose the proc but still…

I manage to pull over 3k DA with more health with my setup over the original version which had only around 2800 DA. Losing some OA but I think I can still substitute with some different gear.

Try a build with les MIs:p. About devotion path, you waste too much points. Better take Light of Empyrion and Blizzard for defensive/offensive.:stuck_out_tongue:

Hm I don’t know if I agree. If you look closely everything that I’ve chosen has its exact purpose. I have only the RR stuff and everything else is mostly for defense. I don’t think this finalized build will need much more in terms of offense and flashy dmg/aoe skills, even though I’d love blizzard/light of empyrion, but I think my setup makes more sense for a balanced build.

Nope, first 2k5 OA does nothing against big boys. Second, your build deals slightly little fire dmg, so what is the purpose of taking Solael witchblade? Phoenix is situation pick, Tortoise without CDR seems weak, rather drop it for more juicy Obelisk of Menhir. Etc… IMO about your devotion path: its a mess.:eek:

Well sorry I said that’s not really my build, I just took someone else’s build cause I did not have time to rearrange everything. I will not be using those weapons, I will be using nex/ortus set, so I will definitely be dealing a lot of fire dmg and won’t be focusing only on cold.

My build will be fire/cold, so fire RR is mandatory. Other nodes from obelisk are mostly for shield users, so why pick them? Did you miss the fact that we are talking about killing lokarr mostly? Plus I’m playing HC so tortoise is very valuable for me since I need every circuit breaker that I can afford. I’m stacking absorb, dodge, DA and RR. What’s not to understand here? I cannot understand how my devotion is all over the place, I feel like everything that I’ve chosen is completely justified. I also have prismatic diamond and blast shield for absorb, that should be some neat absorb stacking. And I definitely don’t agree about more than 2k or 2,5k DA is wasted. It definitely isn’t wasted for strongest bosses. I’m aming to get hit as little as possible with stacking of DA, dodge and some fumble. I think this should work great in the long run. 3k DA is almost mandatory for ultimate and especially for non-shield builds.

I don’t agree with your meta.

Ah sorry, I see you were talking about OA. Yes definitely my plan is to get it to around 3k also, but I don’t think I need devotion for that tbh. I’m pretty sure I will manage that just with gear and stuff.

The alternative to sword n board is Inquisitor Seal. My 2hand purifier with 17/12 seal with 10k hp and infiltrator with 15/12 seal with 10k hp as well could literally facetank him.

Well let’s be real, there’s a boat load of builds out there that could easily kill/farm Lokarr.

The difficulty for a newer player such as myself is farming the gear in the first place to create a build that can handle end game content.

Some of the best places to farm gear is end game content such as crucible. But how can you expect to farm gear at the best place if you need to farm it in the first place to make the build to even do it.

That’s the plus side for this build.

You have guaranteed drop chance with Kreig set, and the weapon and shield have multiple options that are also guaranteed drop chances. That way you can target farm for the build, then level up to farming Lokarr for faster loot/hour, and then eventually over time have enough loot to create a powerful build to farm Crucible 150-170, or even 130-150.

That’s the entire point of this guide.