Make GD better for different audiences

I find it funny how people on this forum speak of skills and whatnot, piloting etc. but in the end of the day these individuals won’t even take part in such a large competitive event like the GD League is, which would be a perfect place to compare yourself with others. After all, I think the skills of a player, as well as builds overperformance should be rated in regards of the whole game rather than singular elements, that have nothing in common with the reality of the game. The league also offers interesting challenges that do even twist the game’s logic upside-down, although it’s rather easy to exclude the new monsters’ few thousands of damage over time per second appearance from the original version of GD over a meant-to-balance-pow.
It’s a great sadness, at least Imo, that Grey-maybe is like the only of the “famous” people I know from this forum, that actually takes part in the event and shows that his activity here deserves an audience to be heard by, unlike the rest.
I doubt recording daily videos of Crucible runs & typing posts & arguing with others implies that one wouldn’t have enough time irl to partake in such an event.

Every player have right to do feedback and to be heard and considered.

But according to your comment only players participating in a competition using mod with alternative items, bosses etc should be heard? That doesn’t make any sense :roll_eyes:

Also league is open to anyone who wants to join and play. Some players use that version of the game without participating in the ladder. Speaking of “famous” people Rekt is pretty active in forum posting builds and occasionally commenting in feedback discussions. Then there’s also Retal_Abuser, who’s great builder and he’s playing the league. I saw you even commented in one of his YouTube videos.

And btw what league have to do with this thread?

8 Likes

Apparently not according to everyone in this forum, and I’m not the only one such.

I nowhere said so, but it would be, non-ironically, a good place to get to gain some bonus credibility.
Besides, that’s what people that don’t play the mod are missing from. It’s not “alternatives”, it’s additional. Get to comprehend the meanings difference. According to this, you’re saying in your first line, that everyone has the right to do feedback, but then, are you trying to imply, that league partecipants opinion is less important, hence they’re playing a mod that “changes”, although it does not, but only “adds” or what? Still, your intel on the case is limited.

I did not know some would go as far to edit the mod in such a way so that they can avoid being point-tracked, unless one has something to hide? :smiley: FeelsBadMan

B*tch please, it’s Rekt. Not somebody with a limited pow, or someone from the first roundup.

He’s not partecipating in it. Honestly, I don’t know what he’s doing. I know he is a friend of the league dev Stan, but that’s none of my business. He simply did a good job by putting the super bosses from the league onto youtube as the #1st on what I approved, because I could use these videos as a visual reference thereafter, as the only other place one could find them were Twitch shorts, which are rather harder for an average andy to dig into finding succesfully.

League? Nothing.
My comment? To show that you are wasting your time on nonsense and arguing with a someone who doesn’t give a flying fuck of bother about neither of you here. If the game balance doesn’t go the way you’d like it to go, you’d probably should stop from providing data to someone you disagree with, leave your fucking mental-lockdown “bubble” just for once, and get some actual integration with a community that actually cares about making this game a better place, totally for free, rather than having to be paid for irl to even bother spending their precious time to get to drop in some changes just to keep it semi-alive, all while enthusiasm-less. An extra dev on FF would’ve been better of a solution to get to release that game faster, so that we can get back to business with Grim Dawn 2 sooner, instead of being feed with less than 1/10th of what the playerbase deserves for the given time being.

I find it funny how, no matter what game or genre, the PvP/competitive players just assume they’re the only ones with valid opinions on balance, even if they have to jury-rig a completive scene onto a game that doesn’t really have one.

3 Likes

Dedicated topic. I hope I picked a fitting title, @Rakso

1 Like

You have to separate the sheep from the goats somehow. This natural way is still way better tho, than a solution where everything is already set and you are just free to live your own bubble to think your opinion is worth of anything to the game further development.

the problem is the game is balanced around an uneven mode, which is just a stat check, and either you’re a casual Cruci pilot and have 0 chance despite that stat check, or you’re a godlike cruci pilot and destroy it or even break records, making the game balanced around the 1% of the 0.01% of players in a pure rock-papers-scissor game mode
obv the game should be balanced more around MC, like this

this is obviously proper skill based challenges, making it harder to nerf things blanket wide or randomly out of nowhere and without proper forth and back talks between devs and players, so we get a decent word/feedback in balancing updates

game obviously shouldn’t be balanced around Crucible when you can take any banana build and just close your eyes and clear it in record setting farm time, this is bad. Likewise it’s pointless to balance it around SR higher than 66 when you can just make a HC immortal tank with 90 all resist and 85 overcaps, close your eyes and clear sr110 chunk room in 30minutes
The proper player effort and skill feedback clearly lies in MC, probably even during leveling, we can all clearly agree you need to be pretty pro to be able to randomly kill an MC Nemesis that just pops up against you around lvl 60’ish, and with no warning other than you just killed too many beasts too quick
Balance the game for the 99% of players, specially the ones that don’t reach Ultimate,
maybe it’s not Nightblade’s Blade Spirit that needs a nerf, but Act 1 Krieg ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

As someone that actively PvPs in many games and yet personally dislikes the format of leagues in ARPGs, I struggle to think why you would be so convinced your opinion, or anyone else’s playing in these leagues, is any more valuable than anyone else participating on this forum.

5 Likes

Around arbitrary challenges not remotely representative of how most people actually play? :thinking:

I would never ever use killing a superboss as a standard for tuning, for example.

2 Likes

Because these builds are being played widely around almost the entirety of the game content(except for Crucible right now, because of it conflicting with mods, the league devs are working on it afaik tho), and hence it’s a competitive league, people partecipating in this don’t pick up to make builds that they enjoy or find them to be their favourite, but builds that actually let them win the game content & league content with minimal effort while matching with other humans.
Based on the provided by the league informations we can already come to assumptions that physical damage based mostly warlord class builds are top picks, because they are absurdly strong compared to time investment into creating them both softcore & hardcore wise, as opposed to, probably-imo, but not 100% sure yet, cold damage based builds - that almost nobody really bothers playing with, because they are too much gear-wise grindy for mediocre strenght gains in return as a result.
Etc. other useful data. At least imo.

The whole comment is sarcastic response to the previous post.

I would agree that one superboss is pretty niche. Of course if one build without tweaks can kill all celestials/hardest bosses in absurd time on top of being impervious to damage, then yeah.

In campaign I like to try majority of bosses during leveling process. Sometimes is fun to see certain builds struggling against bosses. For instance RamZul can be pretty nasty. Actually if we speak about campaign’s balance three’s pretty big difference between bosses abilities and expansion content is overall tougher. There were topics how hard is Aldric/Rekt/Boris in arena but that’s compared to heroes/bosses from early parts of vanilla game. Salazar is also an example of fun optional boss.

2 Likes

If only the game could be modded to suit people’s needs.

Too bad the devs didn’t think of that….:scream:

Wow what a thread to wake up to. Basically can be boiled down to “my input matters more than anyone else here.” Even calling it… “sheep versus goats?” Wtf.

Cool post. The entitlement is real. Very cool indeed lol.

Also I’m 100% sure Rekt himself would disagree with you here. He has clearly said himself in his videos that he makes builds he enjoys playing, league included (aside from the scuffed Vindicator he played from the draft, but he was kind of locked into that one :laughing:). If it isn’t fun, in a game, why bother?

5 Likes

not sure why the two even are related. Some people like leagues, others don’t. It’s not like the best players are in the league and inferior ones are not.

then a mod with custom items, custom monsters and some other changes might not be the best metric for this…

Every poster finds the audience they deserve if they stick to it. If you have something to contribute, great. Participating in a league or not has very little to do with it.

Also I feel the title is very misleading, I see nothing about making GD better for any audience, just a rant that people do not just listen to league players…

8 Likes

Be aware that this topic was split from another thread and a mod made the title.

He’ll end up making something broken anyways, because that’s just how the new super bosses are, just for the sake of beating them, at least imo. Take me at my word. Similar to the retal warlord and avenger warder from last league.

What’s this?

It is exactly like that. lol Most people just like to talk much, and that’s it.

Like I said, it’s additional, not changed. It’s very easy to exclude, most people play with 100% unmodded builds. Anyways, at this point I’m repeating myself. I mean, get some intel on the matter first before writing anything.

In my opinion it shows who actually knows how to play the game, non-ironically, not just a DLC with GDstash running in the background on builds where winratio can even drop below 50% just for a time score that doesn’t matter in the end at all(and balancing the game around that score is even furthermore beyond me). It’s not the real game. Wake the f*ck up. Not at all.

If you want it to be, then adjust Lokarr’s timers accordingly to this ridicolousness.

Furthermore, I think that, to fix all of these unecessary changes in a completely delusional setting of a wonderland, the blessings from Crucible mode should be removed, and then run all builds on it expecting some buffs. Because as far as the game goes, this balancing is delusional.

If balancing was done right, people on a league-like scenario wouldn’t pick up specific certain builds over others, but rather play with whatever one likes. A Dev should ask a League Dev for data, to get to know what are the most common picks based on whole-game-wide approach by players, and why are they such compared to other builds. After all, what could be the reason if not for lack of balance in the first place.

well, 2 cents: if the league is played with modded GD, the League is irrelevant. If there was a league based only on GD legit, I’d consider it and your arguments might be more valid. End 2 cents.

And I found another 2 cents reg. balance: not sure how people think/handle GDlegit balance in competitive/league play, but I personally think, that it is somewhat secondary. There HAS to be best choices for certain gamechallenges, everything else does not make sense to me. Me as a ROLEplayer prefers a theme to build around. If that Theme is inferior to ‘best coice’, so be it. Games are for fun. Fun is defined differently by everyone. Noone should force their way of havin fun on others. Rough discussions? Yes, anytime. Opinion-imposing? Not at all. End 4 cents.

1 Like

Who exactly are you talking to? Can you link to such builds? AFAIK all builds recently posted by people who run crucible include a comprehensive list of most if not all endgame achievements. It seems “crucible people” do everything “non-crucible people” do and do crucible on top of it.

4 Likes

Not true as long as the league contains 100% of Grim Dawn base content.

It doesn’t matter, because you can exclude and ignore all the added extra content.

No, disagree here. Why not make your theme of a build not to be inferior, but an actual viable? Why do you, or me need to play a game which is balanced around absolutely niche balance forumulas that have nothing to do with the actual reality of the game that we’re playing?
Is the game sub 5 DLC running for you?
For me, and for many other people it’s levelling characters, Mi-farming, mats farming, super bosses, Shattered Realm farming and Crucible farming. Nobody gives a flying f*ck about timers that are already way lower than the minimal requirements for biggest of Crucible treasure room.