Mechanics: Default + WPS (Dual Wield, Flat Damage)

Hello,

I’ve googled some threads about this topic but could not find a definitive answer about the math behind this:

Assumptions:
-Weapon Damage, left: 200
-Weapon Damage, right: 100
-Fire Strike: 150% Weapon Damage + 80 Flat Damage
-Belgothian’ Shears: 150% Weapon Damage + 50 Flat Damage

How is the final damage of a Belgothian’s Shears proc calculated?

There seems to be the consensus that the Weapon Damage part stacks multiplicative (1,5 x 1,5 = 225%)

Is the Flat Damage added for every weapon like this?
Left: 2,25x200+80+50=580
Right: 2,25x100+80+50=355
Sum: 935

I also looked around for an answer to that question a while ago without much luck, as well. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

I’m going to guess that the flat stacks as such

Example Left hand

WPS(FS) = ((200 * 1.5) + 80) * 1.5 + 50

It’s clear that the %wpn is multiplicative, but I’m guessing that it’s also cleaner to carry the flat numbers though the calculation like this for the code.

% WD is multiplicative, flat damage is additive.

I believe this is right yes.

Thanks, Evil_Baka! How sure are you about this? Can anybody confirm this?

I think it would also be plausible if the flat damage is only added once and not once per weapon. Like this:

Left: 2,25x200=450
Right: 2,25x100=225
Flat: 80+50=130
Sum: 805

The Tooltip of every Dual Wield viable Attacks lists the Weapon Damage part twice and the Flat Damage only once:

I tried to get an answer by looking at Shadow Strike (Dual Wield Attack which we can see the Damage Tooltip in the Char Tab) and now I am even more confused than before.

I created a new Nightblade and gave it 1 Point in Dual Wield and 1 Point in Shadow Strike.

The Tooltip of Shadow Strike in the Skill Tab list the Cold Flat Damage as 112. The Char Tab list Shadow Strikes Cold Damage as 108 when I equip one weapon. Shouldn’t that be 112?

If I equip a second weapon the Cold Damage goes to 168. I was expecting 224 (or at least 216).

Can anybody explain this?

You have to check the values for each weapon. If you have an axe, and the value is 112 on shadow strike, it will be 112 in the second page, if you then compare the old value to a new weapon, it’ll be non-sense.

I’m not sure why the tooltip showed 112 when I made the Screenshot - now it says 108 no matter which weapon I equip as long as it has no cold damage on it. I probably forgot to unequip an item.

The second question remains though: Why does the damage go from 108 (1 weapon) to 168 only (2 weapons) and not 216?

Flat dmg is not added twice when it’s listed on a dmg skill (like Belgo Shears) even if the skill hits with both weapons. So it’s one +50 too many there. I think fiat from Firestrike is also added once, not sure.

How do you explain the cold dmg from shadow strike then (see images)?

It also matters if the weapons you used have some cold damage to them, or components with cold damage, afaik. SS has its own innate cold damage, besides the weapon damage, but what you see on the tooltip the SS damage, broken down into types, that include both its damage and whatever multipliers the char may have?

I don’t know. Many reasons. You can only get exact tooltip results in a modded controlled environment. Could’ve been spirit.

Dmg values in skill descriptions in the mastery tree also include global %dmg modifiers. Must be the bonus from spirit.

Here is a link to char I used for the screenshots:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4Vxg73v2

no cold damage bonuses whatsoever. Only thing increasing the Basic Cold Damage of 80 we see in Grim Tools is Spirit which brings it to 108 for one weapon. What I do not understand is the increase to 168 (an increase of 55.5%) when a second weapon is added.

Since Spirit is already included in all of the tooltips, it cannot be Spirit.

This game is so old and we still do not understand the basic damage mechanics. :frowning:

Could it be that the flat damage while dual wielding is added 1.5 times?

80 (base flat cold damage) x 1.5 (Dual Wield) x 1.399 (34.9% Spirit + 5% from Dual Blades Skill) = 167.88 -> 168

I wonder if it is the same for Default Attack Replacers when it is 25% left, 25% right, 50% both. Then the hits with both weapons would not do twice as much damage even if you use the same weapons because the flat damage part of fire strike or whatever is only added 1.5 times.

I see. In that case I was wrong. Flat dmg from SS seems to be added to each weapon but only as base value. It is the sum that is then modified by global modifiers including the ones from attributes. This is why with two weapons it’s not exactly double of what is shown in SS description.

The reason why you got 108 cold on tooltip with a single weapon instead of 112 as shown in SS description is because on removing offhand weapon Dual Blades (5% cold) switches off.

no, you did not understand me correctly. ignore the 112. that was a mistake from my side. its 108 for 1 weapon and 168 for 2 weapons. the flat damage is added 1.5 times when dual wielding.

Seems you’re right. Check this out at different ranks to be sure. And using a 2h weapon.

So the flat dmg values on SS are actually 150% of what they say they are. I wonder why things like that have to be so unclear.

Like korsar said above me, if a WPS is procced with a default weapon attack replacer, it works by multiplying the weapon damage modifiers of both together and the added damage of the WPS is added to the replacer’s.

So in your example, the 150% modifiers for Fire Strike and Shears multiply to 225% weapon damage and the 80 and 50 damage (that aren’t part of your weapon) add to 130. This means I was actually wrong on my first comment then :rolleyes: