MIs Worth Caring About

I’ll include it for the sake of completeness, though you’ve sparked some thoughts on just how they should be listed. Both chest affixes and glove affixes (and if belts deserve a special mention with regards to affixes or not). I’ll get something written up tomorrow.

For boots, Stonehide / of Kings are commonly desired affixes.

Formidable of slow resist is BiS combination in current patch.

Stonehide of Kings will probably make a comeback in FG, because no blessings = no free stun res and overcaps = slots will be dedicated to overcapping elemental/aether/vit by 40+% = not enough poison res = stonehide. Though for some builds that use very well-rounded sets that everything is overcapped without boots then Formidable will still be BiS.

Edit: slow res is overrated on non-speed based builds. You don’t care if you’re slowed as long as you can tank. Formidable of DA/Formidable of vitality is better for those builds imo.

One thing I’ve found it hard to gauge is how many players of the different playstyles are reading the forums and would be looking to this guide for some preliminary advice on general trends with MIs and greens. A poll I ran some months back had a small number of responses (<100) so I don’t have exceptional confidence in the following values, but they might be a passable representation of things… if it wasn’t heavily biased by the current unforgiving state of crucible at the time. There were 41 occurrences of players stating they farmed MIs, 44 of players stating they crafted boots, and 29 stating they farmed crucible. The overlap of crucible farmer & (MI or boots) was near 1:1 at 28 players.

75% is pretty large and I’ll give no estimates on the confidence interval for such a small sample size, but it is an echo of the point that there are two different approaches to gaming, gearing, and appraising greens.

To this end it may be pertinent to revise descriptions and introduce split rankings to reflect the desirability for both campaign and crucible. However I’ll leave a reminder that the desirability to be reflected here is in a general sense, each affix is to be taken in isolation as detailing every last niche combination is something for build guides rather than a general overview.

Monopoly, nope, I wasn’t even trying, you sure you aren’t trying yourself? I am most impressed how you dump bwc because what - fire strike exists. As if I offered you leveling with aether ray or something too. :smiley: Lol, wake me up when canister is “the best way to level” again. It was underperforming for too long and I wish to see you arguing its the best thing too.

I was looking for info like this. Great struff! Thank you Xervous and KG for sending me here.

Just remember that it is the OP’s personal opinion and hence biased. So, not exactly a good idea to take it to heart. Some of the things he considers terrible are actually pretty great items.

Detail to fuel debate so we can better distribute the knowledge of the community. A dismissive handwave with no line items called out does match the general accuracy of the guide, but it seems I have not put enough disclaimers on the intent of the guide. Items may be good for a build that a handful of people play, but if nobody is playing said build the relevance of said MI for a random sampling of players is going to be very low. Trends change, the meta evolves, new discoveries occur.

I admit I am woefully ignorant of pet builds and could use more input on affixes and gearing in that realm. The main limiting factor on sampling pet builds has been the abundance of builds that eschew MIs (gib build no greens) and the rarity with which definitive MIs showed up in the premier pet builds.

Another sampling of uncertainty are some of the items that interact with Blade Burst. This is a case of a known underperforming skill being mostly unexplored due to what are perceived as superior options being available. A handful have ventured to attempt acid based ABB to mixed results, but the adoption hasn’t been widespread. Cold ABB is in a similar boat. Are some of the items amazing for said builds? Absolutely. But is the average player likely to play it or encounter someone searching for the items? Hardly.

If you have some insight, by all means do share. The goal here is a collection of knowledge and I simply don’t have the time to exhaustively test every last item and build.

Well, if we are going by popularity then I would say that the title comes off as misleading. Not much debate to be had then since it is no longer about how useful the item itself is or isn’t.

Is it? Detailing each and every last use for an MI is one thing but having a use does not inherently make an MI useful. Explaining to newer players which ones are more likely to be worth keeping is another. Higher build popularity lends itself to a higher likelihood that a given MI will either be useful to one or more of the player’s characters, or to someone they encounter for the purposes of trading.

An item for a build sitting in the corner of obscurity with a total of 5 people who have so much as mentioned said build - that’s not a particularly relevant item to a typical player. Odds are heavily in favor of them not finding a use for it, or encountering anyone interested in making use of it.

What is your definition of a ‘useful MI’ of the sort that a generic player should be bothered to care about it?

Take a perfectly rolled Bound Wraith for example.

Is it popular? no.

Is it powerful? Definitely.

Popularity does not determine how good an item is. In the above example, most pet builds I have come across simply go for Cataclysm’s Eye as off-hand due to it being purple and thus easier to obtain. But a perfectly rolled B.wraith is not something I would label as not worth caring about.

So in general a player will have very few compelling reasons to consider keeping a bound wraith unless it rolls a near perfect combination of affixes, and even then it will likely sit in their stash unused due to the build it’s useful for rarely being played?

Would you say Stoneplate Greaves are crap because Stonehide/Thunderstruck - of kings is hard to roll and even then they aren’t absolutely necessary to have?

Same logic here.

Not sure why you are wasting time arguing with him. Every MI that drops can be a phenomenal item. If people want to not pay attention to something because someone else told them not to, who gives a shit. My most Used M.I. he original called useless even tho it is clearly best in slot for 95% of chaos casters.
Then many he label red/yellow (trash) are easy to get while leveling and again make great gear upgrades throughout most of your leveling process. But hey by all means have people ignore them.

What I’d like most would be Thunderstruck of Stonehidedness :D:D

I’d ask you what blacksmith I can mass roll Bound Wraiths at.

The main thing on Stoneplate Greaves is a lack of legendary/blue boots that are as powerful as options you see in other slots. No +1 mastery, no skill modifiers, defensive procs if any. When the squeeze comes along for resistances on some builds, they are very likely to turn to the boot slot if they aren’t one of the few enjoying a powerful +2 to a skill off their boots. The fact that stoneplate greaves can win out over legendary boots with middling rolls on the stoneplates speaks to the overall quality of options in the boot slot. Look to pants where we have many good to amazing MIs and there are a sizable number of legendary pants that are competitive options for gearing due to their stats/procs/skill bonuses.

Whether it can be crafted doesn’t matter when there are 219,292 possible combinations while only a handful being useful. And unless you get those particular rolls no one would use them any more than they would use a bound wraith.

And hence my original post about how the entire thing is nothing more than your mere opinion and pretty useless.

Anyway time for me to exit the stage. Bye.

Silently nods head

An Ugdenbog Sparkthrower is 100% BiS for Primal Strike if it’s rolled correctly (skyfallen of fury hnnngggg, that’s not the only combination that works but that’s the strongest). That’s the one thing that stuck out to me when I looked through the list.