Missing important features

Does it, though?

Genuine question, because I can’t quite tell if they’re aiming for a frontier town, North American style, or a European settlement. The crossbows and whatnot suggest the latter but a lot of other things feel more like Little House on the Prairie.

1 Like

I think the crossbows are just a balance option so you can pierce the armor of the late game raiders.
Dont think it would be a Little House on the Prairie thing because its not a farm, but a settlement/city. Either way, religion was a foundation for them. But thats up to the devs to put in or not.

I think just adding a vague place of worship that has a cool church like art style and fits the theme of the shrine would satisfy almost everyone. Just make it early tier entertainment/desirability, upgradable, require a worker and call it a day. Late tier could even require candles or something since it’s so easy to have an excess of them

2 Likes

Hi!
Let me start by saying that I’m an atheist myself.
However, the whole theme of the game is obviously based on the European Middle Ages, where churches were the center of every town and community. Even though the game is set in a “fantasy universe”, it borrows so much from real history, that it just feels amputated without churches. I don’t know where you are from, but if you live in Europe, this should be pretty obvious. I’m mostly talking about the aesthetics, but I’m sure the church could also add some nice gameplay elements.

1 Like

Hi!
There were no settlements of this sort in North America in the Middle Ages, so I’m pretty sure the game is based on European civilization.

Or maybe those people felt betrayed by the chuches greed.
Those people have fled their kingdom to free themselves from all those power hungry, war mongering institutions.
If you have to put a church, don’t give it any benefits as I guess lots of us don’t want an other game about religion.

Temples in Caesar III had an interesting gameplay, but being forced to have a church in town just because it boosts morale, work speed or attractiveness is bad. There will be mods for that if you want, but gameplay wise it brings nothing.

That is, unless having a church brings raiders that just want to slaughter your people for having a different faith.

2 Likes

Instead of a church, I’d rather have something like a “Celtic faith” with druids and stone circles, I think that would suit the “nature setting far away” better.

Religion is a difficult topic if the setting is not clearly located.

And even in Europe in the past you had many different religions with any amount of Gods.

Hello. I use Google to translate into English.
I will say mine, without any pretense of being right:
religion has always accompanied humanity. From its beginnings: although not religious but agnostic, I understand the value it has represented and still represents in all the cultures of the planet. Having some kind of mysticism and / or mystical place available would make it more realistic. Simply.

I can comprehend all arguments for having churches but I find it quite refreshing having them not in the game. I don’t miss it, I don’t need it. And it’s definitively not a must for me.

I want one more for aesthetic purposes than anything else.

No, they are not. Not at all.

4 Likes

If for “aesthetic purposes” then you surely have some design in mind.
May I ask then: based on what religion and what subgroup within that religion?

But you can have some pretty cool-looking buildings that are not churches. The Theater and upgraded theater are pretty amazing looking. If you want to increase the entire desirability field with things like that you could build museums, universities, monuments, etc.

1 Like

Well sure but who doesn’t want more content? A theater is nice but it doesn’t fill that aesthetic. Also should say I’m not advocating for any specific religious building. Church to me is a placeholder term for a religious building in general. Any sort of temple or mishmash architecture of Crate’s design is fine with me, it doesn’t need to be historical or anything

1 Like

Yes, mosques etc were around, but not in the places of the world where it seems that you are drawing 100% of the inspiration from. Architecture, landscape, fauna and flora all seem European and it seems to me that you aim for a pretty “authentic” feel.

I’m really not trying to be an asshole about the whole thing. I think the game is amazing and I can’t stop playing it. I’m just saying that I believe that the implementation of churches and boats/ports really could benefit the game.

Churches mostly because the towns look “off” without them. I’m in no way religious myself so I have no ideological agenda but I still miss them, since they are part of the scenery in every medieval town in Europe. I’m sure some interesting mechanics could be developed around religion as well.

Boats/ports on the other hand, I miss both as a gameplay mechanic and aesthetic. Being somewhat knowledgeable in game development, I realize that adding boats as an “afterthought” would be huge task, but hey, I’m just trying to give creative feedback. I just hope that maybe you have plans to add naval element later…

Anyway, I really think that you have created an amazing product.

Well, I guess that’s your opinion. If the goal is to make a “realistic” city builder in medieval Europe, yes it is.

To everyone that insists that churches are not an essential part of medieval towns, I simply suggest that you do some reading.

If “essential” means suppresion, exploitation, brainwashing, keeping the masses dumb etc, then yes. ^^ The lead-in of the game tells us ‘our people’ are flee-ing exactly that.