[Mod] Grim Dawn Infinity (Updated Regularly - Bookmark it!)

What about making the death of a pet drain the players health/ constitution??

Yeah I’d hold on to a few surpriseses

It would take a lot to revive a game a decade after it’s release. It’s a bit of a shame I never really played Grim Dawn during it’s Glory Days. It just seemed to be “another ARPG” while POE and Diablo remained the champions.

However, creating a game for distribution and modding a game for personal use have very different limitations. I have some coding experience, but I do not want to get heavily into scripting/coding/lua. It’s just tedious and not really my cup of tea although I have created projects that way.

I’m looking to build something quite different. To bring back relics of the past. Wizardry, Baulder’s Gate, Might & Magic. Games that invite exploration and growth. Open ended true non linear game play.

I want to be able to roam in any direction and just keep going. Pushing boundaries of which mobs to fight and what to avoid.

In order to do this and create something that could truly spark interest, the game world will need to be unrivaled to other games. Something much larger than the Diablo series, POE, or Last Epoch. A rich world where you don’t really know what’s out there or what you can handle until you test it.

The death penalty will be minimal because you will be expected to die often. Many times in order to gain knowledge. It’s a type of progression.

Right now I’m just focusing on the main Over world, but I would like create maze structures for dungeons. Some of this can be seen in the Over World also. Paths link up together creating short cuts. A path way can also be blocked by traps, hidden spawn, or visible spawn. A strong ranged creature for example can prevent lower level players from taking a path, but make it viable later on.

4 Likes

Aww man it’s starting to look awesome

Awesome!!! Update 8/28

Thanks, The game is coming along very well and growing every day. It’s actually nice to be able to manage playing and construction at the same time. I often enjoy using the World Editor nearly as much as playing.

I like the current progression and the impact of leveling and acquiring new equipment. That aspect feels very lacking in most ARPG’s as the goal is always just a stat game on which build clears the game and those that don’t are just left behind.

The world also posses many “previews” and back tracks perfectly. It offers challenges for the player to take on when they feel they are ready. I often find myself skipping certain mobs or locations as simply to difficult for the time, but then later on clearing them out.

3 Likes

WantwantwantwantWAAAAAANNT!
Seriously, glad to hear you enjoy the world editor. Would be sad to see this amazing mod die before it’s done like some other promising projects. Wish you all the best with this mod while I try to keep my patience and not freak out too much.

I hope you’re having fun working on it and don’t get burnt out dude !!
Are you going to be posting it on nexus or opening a patron by any chance??

I may try to reach out to the discords for assistance with the dungeon linking and rifts. It’s quite frankly older and outdated technology that can be difficult to work with at times. It’s also lacking proper documentation and while the editor is available to consumers I don’t think it was ever designed with that in mind.

The map is getting large enough that some sort of proper travel mechanism may be necessary. The way rifts tie into the main map and have so many different locations is very problematic. I did actually add a new rift point to the main map and it displays, but it doesn’t appear to activate properly or be selectable. I went through some guides, but have not been successful yet.

It’s problematic also in that it’s burning up far to much time that isn’t enjoyable and that I would rather spend on world creation. It is one of the final necessities though. I established respawn locations, but that’s not enough.

Otherwise most things are going very well and I may release some more videos showing how to add assets, and general creation.

2 Likes

I’m hype for Tuesday!!!
Are you planning on adding the yeti or a raptor to a class skillset by any chance??

They where not intended for that purpose. It was an experiment in how to optimize assets to extend the game without it feeling like you are just in an infinitely scaling dungeon. When properly applied assets may be reused, but feel like a unique experience.

• Changing combat patterns
  • Using a different texture
  • Applying different skills
  • Scaling the size
  • Changing the resistances, stats, elements

This way the same creature can have different weak points, appearances, size, strength, and attack patterns.

The current focus will be:

• Completing the Soldier Skill Tree
  • Detailing the maps (including more bushes, dirt patches, rocks etc)
  • A few minor balancing issues with skills
  • Land content for level 40 - 80+
  • Applying a full set of equipment drops to every creature

I’m 37+ now and while I definitely feel stronger, it takes a long time to really overcome the stronger creatures. It feels right to me though. Sometimes I get a little sloppy and want to rush in more, it doesn’t really work very well and it’s certainly not your typical smash through everything ARPG.

I think by correctly balancing the active skills it will still feel very action oriented and skillful. It seems a lot of skill trees where simply not really optimized. You may have 3 options of skills to use as a primary, but in the end that typically results in 1 skill.

Instead you could have 3 active skills set on timers where you do want to use all of them, and they may have specific purposes (stun, heal, damage, dot, low cost, potentially mana restore? (- MP value?) I may need to try that :wink:

2 Likes

New Screen Shots are available along with a Video.

3 Likes

The most basic thing when introducing a mod is: a simple description what it does. some lines. thats all. (and no, youtube vids are no replacement for several reasons)
Front post is cluttered with links and update info and tutorial stuff, but - nothing about the mod itself. (at least not on prominent place?) sigh

A basic overview and details where created on the original post. However, since to many updates have been applied I moved them over to an archive post. I’ll pull the original details back into the main post and reformat it with updates below.

1 Like

cool, yea, thats definitely better! :slight_smile:

Will your world/compaign be a add on to grim dawns compaign

I don’t think they would be compatible at all. This is not even really a Mod. While some mods stand alone they are often modifications to the original game. Changing inventory capacity, adding a new class, changing skills etc.

This is by all definitions a completely new game using the Mod tool to create a new game world with a different leveling scheme, completely modified skills, modified AI, new textures, and all new loot.

Awesome I’m pump ,thanks for all your hard work

Will you be adding random mob spawn events like terraria’s blood moon,goblin army etc

If you are, I got a few ideas on names and themes for the events

since i cant find a reference documentation that even slightly explains all the different entries in the .dbr files, how did you manage to find all the needed settings you need to alter for what you want to do?
some entries look quite selfexplaining others are total cryptic or could be anything.

i strongly doubt its all by trial & error, that would just be too prone for bugs, since there are soo many hidden relations. really plain curious how you (and other mod authors that adds tons of changes) did that.

basically, is crate saying, hey, if you want to mod our stuff, find it out by yourself?