[Mod] Grim Dawn Infinity (Updated Regularly - Bookmark it!)

Awesome!!! Update 8/28

Thanks, The game is coming along very well and growing every day. Itā€™s actually nice to be able to manage playing and construction at the same time. I often enjoy using the World Editor nearly as much as playing.

I like the current progression and the impact of leveling and acquiring new equipment. That aspect feels very lacking in most ARPGā€™s as the goal is always just a stat game on which build clears the game and those that donā€™t are just left behind.

The world also posses many ā€œpreviewsā€ and back tracks perfectly. It offers challenges for the player to take on when they feel they are ready. I often find myself skipping certain mobs or locations as simply to difficult for the time, but then later on clearing them out.

3 Likes

WantwantwantwantWAAAAAANNT!
Seriously, glad to hear you enjoy the world editor. Would be sad to see this amazing mod die before itā€™s done like some other promising projects. Wish you all the best with this mod while I try to keep my patience and not freak out too much.

I hope youā€™re having fun working on it and donā€™t get burnt out dude !!
Are you going to be posting it on nexus or opening a patron by any chance??

I may try to reach out to the discords for assistance with the dungeon linking and rifts. Itā€™s quite frankly older and outdated technology that can be difficult to work with at times. Itā€™s also lacking proper documentation and while the editor is available to consumers I donā€™t think it was ever designed with that in mind.

The map is getting large enough that some sort of proper travel mechanism may be necessary. The way rifts tie into the main map and have so many different locations is very problematic. I did actually add a new rift point to the main map and it displays, but it doesnā€™t appear to activate properly or be selectable. I went through some guides, but have not been successful yet.

Itā€™s problematic also in that itā€™s burning up far to much time that isnā€™t enjoyable and that I would rather spend on world creation. It is one of the final necessities though. I established respawn locations, but thatā€™s not enough.

Otherwise most things are going very well and I may release some more videos showing how to add assets, and general creation.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hype for Tuesday!!!
Are you planning on adding the yeti or a raptor to a class skillset by any chance??

They where not intended for that purpose. It was an experiment in how to optimize assets to extend the game without it feeling like you are just in an infinitely scaling dungeon. When properly applied assets may be reused, but feel like a unique experience.

• Changing combat patterns
  • Using a different texture
  • Applying different skills
  • Scaling the size
  • Changing the resistances, stats, elements

This way the same creature can have different weak points, appearances, size, strength, and attack patterns.

The current focus will be:

• Completing the Soldier Skill Tree
  • Detailing the maps (including more bushes, dirt patches, rocks etc)
  • A few minor balancing issues with skills
  • Land content for level 40 - 80+
  • Applying a full set of equipment drops to every creature

Iā€™m 37+ now and while I definitely feel stronger, it takes a long time to really overcome the stronger creatures. It feels right to me though. Sometimes I get a little sloppy and want to rush in more, it doesnā€™t really work very well and itā€™s certainly not your typical smash through everything ARPG.

I think by correctly balancing the active skills it will still feel very action oriented and skillful. It seems a lot of skill trees where simply not really optimized. You may have 3 options of skills to use as a primary, but in the end that typically results in 1 skill.

Instead you could have 3 active skills set on timers where you do want to use all of them, and they may have specific purposes (stun, heal, damage, dot, low cost, potentially mana restore? (- MP value?) I may need to try that :wink:

2 Likes

New Screen Shots are available along with a Video.

3 Likes

The most basic thing when introducing a mod is: a simple description what it does. some lines. thats all. (and no, youtube vids are no replacement for several reasons)
Front post is cluttered with links and update info and tutorial stuff, but - nothing about the mod itself. (at least not on prominent place?) sigh

A basic overview and details where created on the original post. However, since to many updates have been applied I moved them over to an archive post. Iā€™ll pull the original details back into the main post and reformat it with updates below.

1 Like

cool, yea, thats definitely better! :slight_smile:

Will your world/compaign be a add on to grim dawns compaign

I donā€™t think they would be compatible at all. This is not even really a Mod. While some mods stand alone they are often modifications to the original game. Changing inventory capacity, adding a new class, changing skills etc.

This is by all definitions a completely new game using the Mod tool to create a new game world with a different leveling scheme, completely modified skills, modified AI, new textures, and all new loot.

Awesome Iā€™m pump ,thanks for all your hard work

Will you be adding random mob spawn events like terrariaā€™s blood moon,goblin army etc

If you are, I got a few ideas on names and themes for the events

since i cant find a reference documentation that even slightly explains all the different entries in the .dbr files, how did you manage to find all the needed settings you need to alter for what you want to do?
some entries look quite selfexplaining others are total cryptic or could be anything.

i strongly doubt its all by trial & error, that would just be too prone for bugs, since there are soo many hidden relations. really plain curious how you (and other mod authors that adds tons of changes) did that.

basically, is crate saying, hey, if you want to mod our stuff, find it out by yourself?

they have some tutorials, but for .dbr entries you are on your own.

Most of this you figure out on your own by looking at GD entries and using a search tool to find where a dbr file is referenced, the rest by asking other modders.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to get my hands on this

While it would be nice to have proper documentation on all of these aspects, the hard truth is itā€™s been mostly trial & error. The documentation and posts do warn this may be a difficult and frustrating task.

In the end itā€™s all determination.

Luckily I have not seen many issues that create bugs or errors. These systems where created by coders and developers which generally have a methodical and logical design.

Itā€™s very helpful to have some experience in coding, game design, etc. An example of this is what I call ā€œSpacersā€ in a menu. I have used this practice before on other projects. When you change something in the skill tree it can get very messy and one of the components was spacers.

[] - - - 0 - - - 0

The above example represents a skill tree. Upon looking at the coding Squares are used (a database record) for the main skill. As demonstrated by [] . All other sub skills use circles as well as some passives. This is for organization and aesthetics. The lines in between are spacers (another database record that needs to match).

Naming Convention: You just need to study it.
Skill 1B is an offshoot skill

ā€¦Skill 1B here
[] -----|-----------Skill 2------Skill 3

Some skills only reference other skills.

Skill_Buff
Has no attributes to set. It simply references Skill_Buff1. This is a design structure. The system is designed to call upon casting Skill_Buff which is designed to apply Skill_Buff1 due to the database reference.

Healing AI Improvement. This was simply trial and error and honestly not that difficult in comparison to many other tasks. Basic testing demonstrated you can cast skills simply by putting them into the creature skill tree then assigning a few attributes. The game needs to know how frequently to cast the skill, how long until it be cast again etc.

I then testing chaining a skill to make this work actually similar to the buff example. Note: This could not be done in the normal skill tree because you canā€™t control the target. The creature would use the heal as attack and heal the player instead of allies. However, the chain skill allows you to signify the target thus making it work correctly.

3 Likes

Hey dude I hope youā€™re doing well take care